Pool World Loses The Miz

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
We are very saddened today to report the death of a true legend in the game of billiards. Steve "The Miz" Mizerak has left us.

Mizerak had been hospitalized since January when he was admitted for gall bladder problems. He had been in a coma for the past few months. Mizerak never completely recovered for the stroke he suffered in 2001.

Mizerak won the US Open 14.1 Championship an amazing four straight years from 1970 to 1973 and was the US Open 9-Ball Champion in 1978. He was inducted into the BCA Hall of Fame 1980 as the youngest member ever and was named the 6th best player of the century by Billiards Digest in 2000.

Those who knew Mizerak, will remember him more for what he did away from the table than what he did at the table. Ladies Spirit Tour Director Heather Barkley, a former employee of Mizerak's, commented "Steve wasn't about pool. He was about people. He loved people and he loved doing for people. When I was his secretary, he would constantly be bombarded with autograph requests. I asked him once if that didn't become annoying and he replied that If people wanted his autograph, it meant that he had done something in his life that meant something to those people. He felt that giving them an autograph was the least he could do."

Five time US Open Champion and fellow BCA Hall of Fame member Earl Strickland commented, "This comes as a shock to all of us. To hear that one of the greatest poolplayers of all time has passed away. It was an honor to compete against Steve. It was always difficult and exciting to play against him. I will always remember "The Miz". He will be misseed. Condolences to Karen and the family"

We have set up a special area of the AzBilliards forums for fans and friends to post their memories of Steve. Click here to read our 2000 interview with Mizerak.

hjb

The Miz

I love what you wrote and feel compelled to say that I have been privileged to not only know him but call him my friend... I am so saddened for the people that he has left behind. Karen and Matt whom I love so much, and his precious granddaughter Karen who he adored! You will never find a more generous and caring person, in or out of the world of billiards.

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is indeed sad news. My prayers and condolences go out to his family. RIP and go with Gods speed. May the good Lord wrap his arms around you and protect you for eternity..................mike

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never met him but I'd just like to say that he gave the game of pool so much over the years and I am certainly grateful for that. My condolences to his family and friends.

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
I remember back in 94 or 95 at the 8 ball tournament being held at the Riviera in Vegas...we were having dinner and I asked him who he thought was going to win the tournament. He said without hesitation..."I am". One glance into his eyes and it was easy to see that he was very serious. I thought to myself that has to be the dumbest question I've ever asked. He didn't win, Efren won. I did though learn a very valuable lesson about pool & confidence. RIP Steve.

Eydie Romano

Finally Retired!
Silver Member
Extremely sad news indeed. Our prayers go out to the family of this ultimate legend, who will be missed dearly by all.

Bob and Eydie Romano
Windy City Open Productions

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The Miz will be sadly missed.
I remember talking to the Miz during the PBT days.
At the World 8-Ball in Riviera, he finished 3rd-4th ( back in 95 ).
He was very happy playing 8-ball.
Like Varney said, Efren won it. The Miz got to the table twice. Efren ran rack after rack on him. While he was down 3 zip after Efren ran the first 3 racks, he tells the audience he was playing bad. The audience burst into laughter as Miz hasn't shot YET. The year before that he went in the semis of Pro-Tour Championship and Efren ran rack after rack on him too. But, he got 3rd-4th place.
I ran across him at the Legends of 9-Ball as well. He had a great time doing the tv commentary. He did it for Prime Ticket. Those tapes will remind me of The Miz's love and insight for the game.
Miz loved pool and golf.
I bet God has a Gold Crown and a Bill Schick waiting for The Miz along with a prestine golf course.
Miz, you will be missed.

spw62

BE COOL PLAY POOL
Silver Member
The Pool World Has Lost A true Champion!

It was always an honor to see Steve walk into my room. The Pool World Has lost a true Champion! He will be remembered always.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Fleece3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AzHousePro said:
Five time US Open Champion and fellow BCA Hall of Fame member Earl Strickland commented, "This comes as a shock to all of us. To hear that one of the greatest poolplayers of all time has passed away. It was an honor to compete against Steve. It was always difficult and exciting to play against him. I will always remember "The Miz". He will be misseed. Condolences to Karen and the family"

Well said, Thanks Earl!

To "The Miz", Karen, family and friends. My next OTB will be dedicated to you!

TAP TAP TAP

Last edited:

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
AzHousePro said:
We are very saddened today to report the death of a true legend in the game of billiards. Steve "The Miz" Mizerak has left us.

Mizerak had been hospitalized since January when he was admitted for gall bladder problems. He had been in a coma for the past few months. Mizerak never completely recovered for the stroke he suffered in 2001.

Mizerak won the US Open 14.1 Championship an amazing four straight years from 1970 to 1973 and was the US Open 9-Ball Champion in 1978. He was inducted into the BCA Hall of Fame 1980 as the youngest member ever and was named the 6th best player of the century by Billiards Digest in 2000.

Those who knew Mizerak, will remember him more for what he did away from the table than what he did at the table. Ladies Spirit Tour Director Heather Barkley, a former employee of Mizerak's, commented "Steve wasn't about pool. He was about people. He loved people and he loved doing for people. When I was his secretary, he would constantly be bombarded with autograph requests. I asked him once if that didn't become annoying and he replied that If people wanted his autograph, it meant that he had done something in his life that meant something to those people. He felt that giving them an autograph was the least he could do."

We have set up a special area of the AzBilliards forums for fans and friends to post their memories of Steve. Click here to read our 2000 interview with Mizerak.

My heartfelt condolences go out to Karen and the Mizerak family...R.I.P Steve

Ronoh

1 brick at a time
Silver Member
I met Steve in an elevator at the Riviera (along with my wife) just after he lost a match.

I remember his face like it was yesterday. He was stern, but had a calmness about him that I try to instill in myself to this day.

My wife nudged me and wispered in my ear "is that him?". I just noded.

I respected what he had just gone through and didn't bother him cause I could see how his eyes was darting around in mental space trying to figure out where he went wrong.

I learned a lot that day. Thanks to Miz, and his family.

moccabee

Mocc1Cues
Silver Member
I feel very fortunate to be one of the few lucky individuals that was able to play Steve when I was a true "banger". I was very excited, and as expected he beat me pretty handily. It was also the day that started my love of Richard Black cues.

I still remember that day like it was yesterday and will remember it for the rest of my life.

RIP Steve.... you will never be forgotten.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> I wasn't lucky enough to have seen what his game looked like in his prime,but the times I saw him play 8-ball on tv against the current snooker champions were the absolute best big-table 8 ball I have ever witnessed. He ran out practically every time he had an open shot,even from places it didn't look possible,and when he broke,the balls knew it. Even after he got older and I got to see him play in person,it was still rare to see him out of line,and there was no outsmarting him. I talked to him several times at tournaments,in fact he was the one that broke the news of Sigel's retirement to me. He was extremely articulate,as you can imagine a school teacher being,and generous with even the most helpful and esoteric knowledge. He had a very large collection of cues,all of which were practically pristine,he respected his equipment and took immaculate care of it. He was also said to be an even better school teacher than he was a player. He did very well for himself,his family,and the game itself. In my mind,there is no higher compliment. Tommy D.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
As he used to say "you can't beat me". On another cue, Rack em up St. Peter, Minnesota Fats will have his hands full with this kinda guy, thanks Steve you made me laugh and allot more.

thecardman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a personal ramble...

The first time I encountered The Miz was when he played Steve Davis in the 1987 Fiat Snooker-Pool Challenge in St Moritz, Switzerland. It was a 3-leg challenge match that involved Straight Pool, Snooker and 9 Ball and was designed to introduce the pool disciplines to the UK audience and snooker to the American audience.

Sadly, on the videotape of the challenge that was later released in the UK, there was no footage of Mizerak playing Straight Pool, but there he showed that he could hold his own at Snooker. Then, when it came to 9 Ball, we finally got to see "The Mizerak Stroke".

Last year, I had the thrill of actually meeting the man himself when I went to the US Open. When he was introduced to the crowd at the main TV table in the Conference Centre, it is safe to say that there were few dry eyes as he was given a standing ovation by every member of that audience (I know that I had to wipe my eyes a couple of times). At the dinner that was organised to celebrate his career, I stood and spoke with him for a few minutes before the speeches took place.

He even signed the cover of my Fiat Challenge video.

A great player and, from the stories that were told that evening, a fantastic person. He will be missed.

Best wishes

thecardman
:(