TV crews at the DCC

randytabares

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope it goes well. This is exciting news. I'm all for it. Thinking good thoughts. I would like to see ESPN work with accu- stats in the future for some good tv coverage.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm seeing a picture of Cornbread here...being asked how he gets the
cue-ball to do that.....he pats whitey fondly and says....
...."Ah raised it from a marble."

Red's gone, UJ's gone....we need Alex and Keith to take up the slack.

...and the Dipster to pay another guy $500 to get the hell outta the action room.
:rotflmao1:

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing y'all can count on is that I aint gonna dog it around Big business and Big TV. They will not push me around because I dont give enough of a shit. Just like I would never endorse a product that I didnt like, no matter what i was offered, money and a TV career dont ring enough of my bell to get me to do what I dont believe in.

Now, maybe if they had some new serum that allows a player to never miss a ball, and that was to be my reward, well that would be a different story entirely.

Beard

Very interesting! Hope this turns out even better than you hope Freddy! Can't wait to see it.

SLIM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is great that these entities will be there

My hope is that the great players, even if they don't gamble, get some face time.
I know drama sells but i just hope the guys like SCOOTER, TIM HEATH & ERIC DURBAN don’t get 100% of the coverage.

no disrespect intended but, I know what keeps me interested in pool & it is not the latter.

SLIM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My hope is that the great players, even if they don't gamble, get some face time.
I know drama sells but i just hope the guys like SCOOTER, TIM HEATH & ERIC DURBAN don’t get 100% of the coverage.

no disrespect intended but, I know what keeps me interested in pool & it is not the latter.

SLIM

I think what separates the Derby City Classic (DCC) from other pool happenings is that there are most definitely players of all caliber that attend. Whether it's a super-star pool pro or an amateur or a social shooter, the Derby City Classic will have a little something for everybody to enjoy. That is how I have always viewed it.

The only problem I have encountered going to the DCC is sleep deprivation. There is so much going on 24/7 that my other half doesn't want to miss anything. So we're checking out the main tournament, the mini tournaments, the barkfests, and the action matches. :p

I always liked to shop for pool stuff with the various vendors. :D

Whether one is a pool purist that enjoys mum pool played by emotionless robots or an action enthusiast who likes the barkfeast before, during, and after a gambling match, I think it is important to recognize that this is American pool at its finest. It is all about the variety. I hope all who attend enjoy it to the fullest. :cool:

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
I'm seeing a picture of Cornbread here...being asked how he gets the
cue-ball to do that.....he pats whitey fondly and says....
...."Ah raised it from a marble."

Red's gone, UJ's gone....we need Alex and Keith to take up the slack.

...and the Dipster to pay another guy $500 to get the hell outta the action room.
:rotflmao1:

You can count on me stealing that line!:sorry:

Beard

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think what separates the Derby City Classic (DCC) from other pool happenings is that there are most definitely players of all caliber that attend....

Whether one is a pool purist that enjoys mum pool played by emotionless robots or an action enthusiast who likes the barkfeast before, during, and after a gambling match, I think it is important to recognize that this is American pool at its finest.

That is true Jam, most of us pool junkies prefer the latter of your two options !...Greg, in his wisdom, has made this our premier pool event based on those principles...We really wouldn't want it any other way....
However, Greg Sullivan, Freddy, (and whoever else is involved) need to be mindful of the fact, that the TV professionals, covering the DCC, are NOT GOING TO BE "POOL JUNKIES"....They will be looking at the whole experience, with a completely different mindset, based on their professional views, of what makes good, watchable TV..Thats THEIR job !...Cornbread Red, or Hubert Cokes, or New York Fat's, and all the rest of our heroes, are just 'names' to them !

It is very possible the History channel, and ESPN, may even have differing opinions, of what will work best for their individual viewership...Its almost certain they will both have pre-conceived notions, on what to look for...The History channel, is much more diversified, and with the right presentation, could give our game a real boost to mainstream America, possibly the world !

If they gravitate towards the "Scooters" and their ilk, with all the barking and other shenanigans, and pay little attention to the solid gamblers, and top player's, they will be missing the essence of the DCC...We KNOW we have a lot to offer. Hopefully they will find the right 'mix' !...Who knows how many more chances our game will get, to become a "Duck Dynasty" or "Breaking Bad" ??? :)

Good luck to all...Heres hoping we give them what they want !

Last edited:
Anything that is aired is going to be bullsh!t. There isn't a reality tv show that isn't either heavily edited or scripted. You can be sure that they will attempt to air the sleaziest, most unflattering view of these degenerates.

The silver lining here is that the people they are filming are so unreliable, that unless this is a one time special, these players can't be counted on to always be around for filming.

Thank God the DCC only happens once a year.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Anything that is aired is going to be bullsh!t. There isn't a reality tv show that isn't either heavily edited or scripted. You can be sure that they will attempt to air the sleaziest, most unflattering view of these degenerates.

The silver lining here is that the people they are filming are so unreliable, that unless this is a one time special, these players can't be counted on to always be around for filming.

Thank God the DCC only happens once a year.

Know where you are coming from, but I doubt you'd say that if you attended. Although the action diehards and side betters might disagree, the action matches are a very small part of the show.

In truth, the Derby is five tournaments in one:

Bank Pool
One Pocket
Nine Ball
Ten Ball
Straight Pool

Most of the elite are on hand and the Derby City Classic is truly a celebration of all-around talent in the various pool disciplines. It is also the stiffest test of all-around skills on the pool calendar, just as Johnston City once was. The action matches are not even on the same floor as the main ballroom in which most of the tournament matches take place.

If some people wish to publicize a certain aspect of the event as they choose, it in no way smears the good name of this wonderful event.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
And guess what gave pool it's biggest boom in its history?

The Color of Money - 1986.

Why? Because it portrayed all that is bad about pool or what people deem as bad about pool. Gambling, drinking, womanizing, oh and the climax scene of the movie -- the dump by Vincent.

To all the people that are worried about how pool will be portrayed, get a grip.

My fear is that they will spend too much time on some kid acting a fool, woofing without two nickels in his pocket and then when the cameras are ready to film the pool action, nothing takes place because there is no backing for the game. They need to show it from beginning to end and with the crowd at the DCC, there are too many beginnings with no middles or ends.

If Freddie wants to do this right, he needs to have a list of players with personalities that are actually going to play - take the TV crews to them and let the rest happen. Avoid the fools and it will be all good.

Watchez is the teacher.

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
Every attempt to "church up" pool has set pool back. Pool is what it is and trying to change it ruins it.

There are two realms of pool as well. The gambling side and the tournament side. How many outside of pool even know they have tournaments? This would be a good chance to get the life of a grizzled tournament pro's lifestyle highlighted.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

Why? Because it portrayed all that is bad about pool or what people deem as bad about pool. Gambling, drinking, womanizing, oh and the climax scene of the movie -- the dump by Vincent.

To all the people that are worried about how pool will be portrayed, get a grip.

My fear is that they will spend too much time on some kid acting a fool, woofing without two nickels in his pocket and then when the cameras are ready to film the pool action, nothing takes place because there is no backing for the game. They need to show it from beginning to end and with the crowd at the DCC, there are too many beginnings with no middles or ends.

If Freddie wants to do this right, he needs to have a list of players with personalities that are actually going to play - take the TV crews to them and let the rest happen. Avoid the fools and it will be all good.

Watchez is the teacher.

Pool has a ton of characters and while I do understand why some people aren't amused by them, I sure as shit am. I could watch Scooter, Timmy Heath and Jason Hunt all day long.

Is that what's best for pool? Well... I think it's the best thing that will actually happen for pool. Nobody seems to get it that pool on a high level is boring unless you're SUPER into pool. Even then, it's boring. Go to a major tournament and look at the crowd, I'll bet my legs someone will be sleeping in the crowd. #sadreality

But here is the thing... does that mean the general public will think everyone who plays pool is like Jason Hunt? I don't know, is everyone in New Jersey like JWOW and DJ Paulie D? Is everyone who was raised with money as dumb like Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie? People are smart enough to understand these people are on tv because they're crazy and it's really fun to watch crazy people. Believe it or not, more good would come than bad.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
There are two realms of pool as well. The gambling side and the tournament side. How many outside of pool even know they have tournaments? This would be a good chance to get the life of a grizzled tournament pro's lifestyle highlighted.

That might be an even more depressing. Hey everyone, come see these 200 guys who spent his entire life mastering something and only 10 of them can pay their water bill.

The tournament life is brutal. Gotta get top 5 to break even or make money for the week.

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Watchez is the teacher.

Should take the film crews to the St. Charles. Bass pro drive...:thumbup:

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
That might be an even more depressing. Hey everyone, come see these 200 guys who spent his entire life mastering something and only 10 of them can pay their water bill.

The tournament life is brutal. Gotta get top 5 to break even or make money for the week.

Looking through the AZB money list for 2013 the top 25 were living comfortably from pool. No one will get rich from pool but it's a lot better than many other jobs plus you get to do a lot traveling and seeing the world. Always focus on the negative and that's all you will see.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking through the AZB money list for 2013 the top 25 were living comfortably from pool. No one will get rich from pool but it's a lot better than many other jobs plus you get to do a lot traveling and seeing the world. Always focus on the negative and that's all you will see.

Well, I'm going to add my 2 cents, FWIW! :grin:

If one earns $100,000 in pool per annum, take out a third for expenses and about another third for taxes, depending on how you file and fall in the Tax Code provisions for income. $100,000 per annum in the pool world is like making $30,000 in the non-pool world. Depending on where you live, what part of the country in America, $30,000 is okay, but I couldn't live comfortably on $30,000 per year where I live.

Also, the occupational hazards in pool are brutal. I was speaking to a TV producer a day or two ago about pool, and I was hesitant to bring up the occupational hazards, though I did state there were some. The TV producer immediately blurted out that he knew the occupational hazards in pool would be "gambling, women, and drugs." I was actually surprised that someone outside of the pool world would even think that.

Then, if you can believe it, the TV producer said it was that side of the pool industry that a reality show would prefer to follow, the hardships and difficulties and struggles to make a living in the American pool world. Also, the TV producer was most definitely interested in colorful personalities to showcase, not emotionless robots playing mum pool. :smile:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Pool has a ton of characters and while I do understand why some people aren't amused by them, I sure as shit am. I could watch Scooter, Timmy Heath and Jason Hunt all day long.

Is that what's best for pool? Well... I think it's the best thing that will actually happen for pool. Nobody seems to get it that pool on a high level is boring unless you're SUPER into pool. Even then, it's boring. Go to a major tournament and look at the crowd, I'll bet my legs someone will be sleeping in the crowd. #sadreality

But here is the thing... does that mean the general public will think everyone who plays pool is like Jason Hunt? I don't know, is everyone in New Jersey like JWOW and DJ Paulie D? Is everyone who was raised with money as dumb like Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie? People are smart enough to understand these people are on tv because they're crazy and it's really fun to watch crazy people. Believe it or not, more good would come than bad.

I don't mind people acting a fool -- you missed my point that after all the chatter, the game doesn't come about because they can't cash a check their ass just wrote. Act a fool, entertain but then play. Even WWF eventually has a fight to watch.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

I'm not focusing on the negative, I'm being realistic. The money list is showing the gross profit, not the net.

If I want to play in the US Open 9ball, it will cost $500/entry. About $500/week in hotel. $350 to fly. That's $1350 just to play, never mind eating out every meal for an entire week. You gotta get 9-12th in that tournament to break even after taxes. Also, this is one of the largest tournaments in the US so it's pretty much the best case scenario. International events, forget about it. Your nut just doubled or tripled.

So go through that top 25 list and keep all that in mind and you might start to see that those numbers aren't reality.

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not focusing on the negative, I'm being realistic. The money list is showing the gross profit, not the net.

If I want to play in the US Open 9ball, it will cost $500/entry. About $500/week in hotel. $350 to fly. That's $1350 just to play, never mind eating out every meal for an entire week. You gotta get 9-12th in that tournament to break even after taxes. Also, this is one of the largest tournaments in the US so it's pretty much the best case scenario. International events, forget about it. Your nut just doubled or tripled.

So go through that top 25 list and keep all that in mind and you might start to see that those numbers aren't reality.

Tap, tap, tap. :yes:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I don't mind people acting a fool -- you missed my point that after all the chatter, the game doesn't come about because they can't cash a check their ass just wrote. Act a fool, entertain but then play. Even WWF eventually has a fight to watch.

Of course and I wasn't totally opposed to your post. Just telling how I see it. Also, working in the television industry and being married to a tv producer I see things from this side of the fence.

Like I said, is it what's best for pool? No. But it may be the best thing that actually has a chance to happen. We're running out of wealthy suckers making bad investments.