Name a pool hall you wish was still open today

Vyc

╭∩╮(︶︿&#650
Silver Member
The original Q-Masters in Norfolk, VA at Norview/5points

The original Q-Masters in Norfolk, VA at Norview/5points. Barry knew everyone by their first name. I actually miss the Barry burger.

Onepocket73

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob's Billiards in Anaheim,Ca on Ball Rd. I can tell so many stories about that place.Saw Efren giving Keith the 8 and just stone cold robbing him.Players I remember there...Mexican Eddie(strange bridge),Snake(sledgehammer break),Little Jeff Patterson,Woody(guy use to slap himself when he made mistakes),Jeremiah Johnson---man could this guy play!,,,Robin Bell(was married to the owner at the time),Jan(blond lady) ran the place most of the time and Efren would stay at her house when he was in town.

Remember being in there after hours one night watching a big money match between Ante and Little Jeff.Ante was being backed by Mark Betor.In like the last 20 minutes of the match Mark Tadd walked in with this silver jacket on.When the match was over he started banking these long cross corners on the table they were playing on.Funny how you remember certain details about things and experiences.There was this girl that came in after he left that was looking for him...........sooooo many stories....and miles to go before I sleep...and miles to go before I sleep

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of them

I wish none of them had closed. My hick Alaskan town no longer has one. There were 3 in the little hick farm town in Iowa I grew up in. When I was there in 2016 all had been closed for a long time.

My wife and me took a 22 state drive around after I retired. The only 9 foot tables I found were in Michigan, South Dakota and Louisiana and the Michigan ones are gone now.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree

Starchers Akron Ohio.

Agreed! loved going to that place, go check out Earl Strickland vs Jack HInes Ohio State Open 1988 on Youtube, Part 7....Jack is going to win his first major tournament, puts Earl in jail with the safety on the 7 ball and Jacks on the hill about to be left with ball in hand and a 3 ball out.

Not so fast....

Yes Starchers was definitely the Cornerstone Room in NEOhio. I only made it down there maybe a dozen times but always loved it and what a great atmosphere.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if many people know about the Golden Cue in Melbourne but that is the quintessential classic pool hall. The guys that were behind the bar Al & Jimmy where the best dudes ever. I started going there when I was 13 and used my weekly allowance to play in the sunday night tournament. So many great memories..... Everytime I go back to Florida I end up driving by where it used to be and feeling very sad.

That was a cool place. I had a great time there and won some money and made some Melbourne friends as a result..

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Starchers Akron Ohio.

Agreed! loved going to that place, go check out Earl Strickland vs Jack HInes Ohio State Open 1988 on Youtube, Part 7....Jack is going to win his first major tournament, puts Earl in jail with the safety on the 7 ball and Jacks on the hill about to be left with ball in hand and a 3 ball out.

Not so fast....

Yes Starchers was definitely the Cornerstone Room in NEOhio. I only made it down there maybe a dozen times but always loved it and what a great atmosphere.

Starchers was a pleasure to go to for me....
...but don’t forget that Joe Kerr was the one that made it famous.
I miss Joe....the game misses him even more.

Last edited:

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rack and Cue in Pasadena Tx. A few pin ball machines in the back, and pool tables. None of the loud head banging crap you have to put up with now days. Jersey and a few others used to come in on a fairly regular when they were around town.

Kathy Keegan

Registered
Baker's... first pool room I ever walked into. Drove a car into the parking lot, no battery in it half an hour later. Steve Cook worked there almost forever. He felt bad, sent me to Bill Amodeo, who was just opening a room in Tampa. Wound up working with Geraldine Titcomb at that place, the Cue Club. Amodeo eventually sold that place to some Viet Namese. He opened Fatso's in Tampa after that. I worked there twice, Geri opened her own place, I think in Plant City, FL. I wound up working for T R McIntosh at his room called Hot Shots for a number of years. Played Goose Conway as a practice partner for years. The only one still open is Fatso's. I'e been known to really irritate younger players than me. The old broad hitting balls over there in the corner might be me.
Somebody, please retire to Tampa, open a room in south Tampa, and I can babysit more players for years, yet. So bored now it's ridiculous. I could make a living teaching people how to yawn.

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member
Peoples Billiards in Memphis Tn. Used to sit and watch the old timers play 3 cushion for hours. This was a REAL pool hall. Located downstairs in a dark alley. Smelled of cigars and sweat. Loved the place!

Los Gatos Taki

Registered
A couple of a few rooms that I liked were the the old California Billiards (in Santa Clara?) and the Circus Billiards in San Jose, California. There were several rooms that I liked.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The original Hollywood Billiards, downstairs... second would
be Hollywood's second location.

Hollywood Athletic Club..

Billiard Palace..

Ye Billiard Den...

This could be my list. What was the one long ago on 6th street in L.A., not far from mid Wilshire area?

Hollywood's Sunset Blvd location was great, the waitresses and decent tables, laid back atmosphere. An occasional celebrity.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Amsterdam took over Corner Billiards.

My closest friend from school moved to NYC @ 80 and I began taking the train up to visit ( I don't fly ) beginning in 87. He worked a lot of hours so I was on my own a lot and I got to know the city pretty well pretty quickly ( Manhattan at least ). I had tons of time to kill in the afternoons and evenings so I spent a lot of time at Julians and ABC and, whatever the room was called down @ St. Mark's Place that later *became* ABC. Also there was a little dive bar down in Soho that was action-packed on weekends I would stop in. Picked up a few bucks in that place. Even though Julian's was pretty seedy, I missed it once it closed shop. Spent a lot of time there.

Yeah, the stairwell was, ummmm... yeah.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3kushn, I fixed your pic a little.. what a cool room.

Attachments

• IMG_0327.jpg
    IMG_0327.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 294

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a thought. At some point, every pool room closes it's doors for good. Jeff Bezos most recently stated that Amazon will some day go out of business. Those old pool rooms that matched the times in which they were open, really are wonderful memories.

Last edited: