Orcollo might try to beat the 626 record

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi, Sean good to see you posting.

But what about all the JS "hangers-on" ready to declare him the next Dalai Lama?

Lou Figueroa

Thanks, Lou. I care not to stick around here long, as it will only be a matter of time before the trolls, aiming system army ants, etc. perk up and notice I'm posting again, and I swear, like a scene from "The Avengers: End Game" they'll come pouring out of Thanos' ship to attack.

About the JS hanger-ons -- yup, "that, too." Albeit, those hanger-ons are just in the midst of euphoria, which will die down as all euphorias do. The Mosconi hanger-ons, however, seem to suffer a rapidly-degenerating condition called UrbanLegendDistortion, where I've heard everything from "Mosconi did the 526 on his playing conditions at the time, which were 5x10 tables," to "he didn't miss; he just quit the run because he was tired," to "he did it in competition" (it was an exhibition match against an opponent that had no chance whatsoever), to "Mosconi's record should NEVER be broken." The sheer amount of fact-twisting, when both the affidavit -- which states the playing conditions, i.e. 4x8 table -- and the book, "Willie's Game: An Autobiography" (which describes that Willie missed a 6-ball in the corner pocket, and Willie felt relieved that he finally missed) -- are so easily available if people would care to look. But as is the case with our "fake news" society interested only in spreading memes and falsehoods to feed and justify their inner bias (i.e. insecurities), we are where we are.

Here's a great open letter to what has come to be known as the "626 haters" -- which are the same folks defending Mosconi under the same aforementioned urban legends (this Facebook link is wide open and should be viewable anonymously, but I've also included a screen snapshot just in case it's not):

https://facebook.com/pooligan/posts/10219043550337885

This will all die down once the video of the 626 is released, I'm sure. Then again, the urban legends have continued for 65 years, so they certainly have staying power.

-Sean

Attachments

• OpenLetter_to_626-haters.PNG
    OpenLetter_to_626-haters.PNG
    99.2 KB · Views: 205

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Lou. I care not to stick around here long, as it will only be a matter of time before the trolls, aiming system army ants, etc. perk up and notice I'm posting again, and I swear, like a scene from "The Avengers: End Game" they'll come pouring out of Thanos' ship to attack.

About the JS hanger-ons -- yup, "that, too." Albeit, those hanger-ons are just in the midst of euphoria, which will die down as all euphorias do. The Mosconi hanger-ons, however, seem to suffer a rapidly-degenerating condition called UrbanLegendDistortion, where I've heard everything from "Mosconi did the 526 on his playing conditions at the time, which were 5x10 tables," to "he didn't miss; he just quit the run because he was tired," to "he did it in competition" (it was an exhibition match against an opponent that had no chance whatsoever), to "Mosconi's record should NEVER be broken." The sheer amount of fact-twisting, when both the affidavit -- which states the playing conditions, i.e. 4x8 table -- and the book, "Willie's Game: An Autobiography" (which describes that Willie missed a 6-ball in the corner pocket, and Willie felt relieved that he finally missed) -- are so easily available if people would care to look. But as is the case with our "fake news" society interested only in spreading memes and falsehoods to feed and justify their inner bias (i.e. insecurities), we are where we are.

Here's a great open letter to what has come to be known as the "626 haters" -- which are the same folks defending Mosconi under the same aforementioned urban legends (this Facebook link is wide open and should be viewable anonymously, but I've also included a screen snapshot just in case it's not):

https://facebook.com/pooligan/posts/10219043550337885

This will all die down once the video of the 626 is released, I'm sure. Then again, the urban legends have continued for 65 years, so they certainly have staying power.

-Sean

Sean, given your extended absence I can understand why you’d think that.

But the real Mosconi fans here repeatedly make efforts to debunk those claims and keep the record straight. I know you won’t but if you took the time to check any of the recent threads related to this topic you’d see this is so.

Lou Figueroa

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am I the only one who thinks it's very disrespectful of the buffalo owner to basically say, "hey, I'm going to pay orcullo 10k come here and break the record!"? The guy basically just crapped on JS because Orcullo is a better player than he is. And he's not the only one, IIRc CJ Wiley made a post a while after the record was broken basically singing the praises of guys like Thorsten.

Seems a lot of people in the pool world are more jealous than impressed because their favorite player wasn't the one who broke that record.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sean, given your extended absence I can understand why you’d think that.

But the real Mosconi fans here repeatedly make efforts to debunk those claims and keep the record straight. I know you won’t but if you took the time to check any of the recent threads related to this topic you’d see this is so.

Lou Figueroa

Lou, I'll go on your word on this, because I did see a reply from you on the "he didn't miss, he quit" urban legend that was in one of these 626 threads.

But the urban legends are all around me -- even a colleague at work believes at least two of them (i.e. 10x5 and the "didn't miss, just quit" things). So while I trust that the real Mosconi fans -- i.e. you and a few others -- are doing their due dilligence in keeping the record straight, no, I won't go searching for proof -- I know it exists. My point is that the fact remains these urban legends have survived 65 years, and there's no end in sight.

-Sean

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am I the only one who thinks it's very disrespectful of the buffalo owner to basically say, "hey, I'm going to pay orcullo 10k come here and break the record!"? The guy basically just crapped on JS because Orcullo is a better player than he is. And he's not the only one, IIRc CJ Wiley made a post a while after the record was broken basically singing the praises of guys like Thorsten.

Seems a lot of people in the pool world are more jealous than impressed because their favorite player wasn't the one who broke that record.

Maybe he's a Mosconi fan.

Even if a new guy sets a new record every month, John gets the glory.

Personally, I think that Efren guy could have ran over a thousand in his prime with minimal commitment, and I find it very telling that he never tried: Was it reverence, humility, strictly business, or some combination of the three?

Interesting man Efren is.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think anyone who tries to break Schmidt's 626, including Orcollo, will find it extremely difficult to keep their concentration and focus long enough to go this high, regardless of the size of the pockets on the table they attempt it on. To have the resolve to have had so many 300+ and even 400+ runs come up short without getting discouraged to the point of giving up, is perhaps the most impressive part of John's record accomplishment.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think anyone who tries to break Schmidt's 626, including Orcollo, will find it extremely difficult to keep their concentration and focus long enough to go this high, regardless of the size of the pockets on the table they attempt it on. To have the resolve to have had so many 300+ and even 400+ runs come up short without getting discouraged to the point of giving up, is perhaps the most impressive part of John's record accomplishment.
I wouldn't underestimate Orcollo when he has the proper financial incentive. The guy is a stone f'n cold machine.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Breaking the record was quite an accomplishment. I agree with JS that there are many pros out there who have the ability to break his record. What JS possesses is the ability to get kicked in the teeth over and over and over and get back up there and start the run again. I think that is the part of the equation that is missing here. I'm not sure that too many will invest the time and effort to breaking JS's record. There is a certain mental stamina that has to be developed for success to be achieved. Most of these pros are tournament and action players. What if they fail after 300 tries? You think they will keep going? We'll see. In the meantime, JS YOU THE MAN.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

My point of view

I don’t think trying to beat 626 is anymore disrespectful than trying to beat 526.
....I applaud the new life it brings to the game.
I hope every player in the world tries to beat it.

But I think it’ll take a while....not holding my breath.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... and the book, "Willie's Game: An Autobiography" (which describes that Willie missed a 6-ball in the corner pocket, and Willie felt relieved that he finally missed) ...

Partially correct. What the autobiography says about the end of the run is "I finally missed a difficult cut shot, but by that time I was weary; it was almost a relief to have it come to an end."

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure even JB can run over 100 if you give him 50 years

I seem to recall that the final consensus of that high run thread was that a very, very small percentage of pool players could run 100 regardless of the number of attempts.

The percentage of players with a humungous massive flying chicken wing of a stroke who could do it would undoubtedly be much smaller.

Lou Figueroa
YMMV

simco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy Caras beat Willie Mosconi 125 to 26.Must have been a few good players
back in the day,huh?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 60+ years that Mosconi's record stood, how many SERIOUS attempts were made at besting it?

John's attempts are the only ones I've heard about...where a player dedicated numerous days and hours to the endeavor.

Are there other attempts that we haven't heard about?

If so, do tell.

Never, ever heard of any other SERIOUS Attempts, even Mosconi's 526 run was not a Serious attempt to run as many balls as he possibly could, If so, he would have tried it numerous times and despite what some people have said on this site- Mosconi did not spend any time looking for higher record runs- for the most part- he just did his job and went home to his family. Until John started all of this- nobody really cared about record runs because it just doesn't matter- it is not a record held in competition. Think of bowling- is there some record number of strikes thrown "outside" of 10 frame competition- did some person ever bowl say 25 consecutive strikes? I don't know- but who cares anyhow, and if someone did that once, would somebody want to spend months at a time trying to bowl 26 consecutive strikes- for what reason- proves nothing at all- so now people want to put up REAL CASH for a new record run- NOW we are talking about something having meaning- but in my mind it only becomes meaningful if there is some PENALTY for NOT making the run- so maybe each pro who wants to attempt a new record run puts up $500 of their own cash and it is forfeited to a charity if they are not successful in a one month time period. If they are successful- they get the $10,000 and keep their $500 registration fee. NOW we would have REAL interest in Straight Pool again- maybe it becomes a tour around the U.S. with attempts held by pros in various major cities- maybe sponsors get involved and the prize grows to $50,000 or MORE- Then John gets REAL credit for being the guy who brought Straights back to life! NOW his time spent has true meaning to all of us who love this game so much!

Last edited:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If nothing else, you gotta love Dennis: Top 3 rotation player sees that one-pocket is where the money is and becomes a top 3 one-pocket player; sees that the straight pool high-run is where the money is and sets his sights on that... Brutal.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Partially correct. What the autobiography says about the end of the run is "I finally missed a difficult cut shot, but by that time I was weary; it was almost a relief to have it come to an end."

Don't forget folks- this was an older Willie Mosconi who was traveling all over the U.S daily doing these exhibitions at night- he often slept in his car a few hours prior to the exhibition just to be reasonably fresh that night- he was not holed up somewhere in comfort for months at a time.