Strange joint pin

Shanesmj

Registered
Anyone ever see a joint pin with this done to it? (The pin appears to have been turned into a tap with the extra groove. The pin threads on this cue would actually change the size of any wood shaft eventually.)

The cue appears to have had a rather rough life... (poor unloved pool cue). Was wondering if someone did this to the pin in an effort to fix something or if this is just how some pins were made.
7aa6d70f813bb234c2b5f8fa39410ba5.jpg
175449dca86f769d265e4f3f77fd2e27.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Looks like someone used a pair of pliers to try and remove it. Definitely not like this for any good reason

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Obviously someone destroyed the joint pin. I see it's an Adam Balabushka tribute cue. Looks like someone had a too tight joint fit, and took either a drill or pliers to it. Or both.

All the best,
WW

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaft threads shrank over time and became difficult to screw up/take down. They did not have a tap or matching thread spare pin to doctor for a tool, so did the dirty right on the shaft pin to try to ream the threads a little bit.

smt

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps the guy's wife threatened to cut his cue in half unless he agreed to take her to the opera. After she started cutting into the cue, he realized she wasn't bluffing and gave in.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaft threads shrank over time and became difficult to screw up/take down. They did not have a tap or matching thread spare pin to doctor for a tool, so did the dirty right on the shaft pin to try to ream the threads a little bit.

smt

most logical explanation.

simco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like someone tried to turn it into a self tapping sheet metal screw.Like
the ones used to assemble metal buildings.Terrible idea, imho.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My guess is this cue was used in a cue repairmans shop as a tap. Probably to make extra shafts for people with that brand of cue out of tighter inserts. Or to make something like Schon shafts fit them.