who are the straightest shooters of all time?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Straightest shooter is somewhat of a BS term, which many of you have glommed on, thinking it has some meaning. You've thrown out a lot of all time greats.

But what does straight shooter mean? I'd say it means the player who could play the game with the least amount of english with every shot, and position was natural. Mostly stun shots. A lot of world champions mentioned used a lot of english, especially Sigel and Strickland.

The straightest shooter: Probably Buddy Hall. You have to be old enough to have seen him.

All the best,
WW

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 319

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
in the last 12 mos or so FILLER has shot straight, real straight.

i can't recall anyone shooting straighter

i've not watched GORST play, if SJM says he shots straighter than FILLER i'll have sweat some soon

EARL impressed me by well he played on a 10" table, that x-tra size tests shot making ability

That said Louie might not have been the greatest shot maker, but, he hit the edges of balls better than anyone i've seen.

Agreed. Filler shoots incredibly straight. I’ve seen Sigel drill balls that really made me say “wow”. But Filler is really really impressive to me.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Williams has held the title of the best single ball potter for about 20 years but I think Judd tops him in that department

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree for ‘this’ year. Judd Trump gets the ‘all time‘ crown if he keeps it up a couple more years. He’s been off his game the last two ‘quarantine’ tournaments.

Mark Williams has let his foot off of the motivation accelerator. I expect this to be his last Crucible. He loses his 2018 ranking points and isn’t going to keep up with the talented newer players

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Straightest shooter is somewhat of a BS term, which many of you have glommed on, thinking it has some meaning. You've thrown out a lot of all time greats.

But what does straight shooter mean? I'd say it means the player who could play the game with the least amount of english with every shot, and position was natural. Mostly stun shots. A lot of world champions mentioned used a lot of english, especially Sigel and Strickland.

The straightest shooter: Probably Buddy Hall. You have to be old enough to have seen him.

All the best,
WW
Got that right. Not only did he make everything but his surgical run-outs just put opponents in a coma. He demoralized a lot of players. Good players at that. They knew if they missed they might have long spell in the chair.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

All the best,
WW

Buddy is the best pattern player of all-time, but not the straightest shooter of all time. If he had been that, too, he'd also have been the greatest nine ball player of all time. He didn't miss much, but he definitely didn't pocket balls as dependably as Strickland.

The question posed is not who ran the table best. That's another thread for another day. Certainly, Buddy is in that conversation. Buddy used his share of English, too, though definitely less than Earl. Shane runs the table as well as Buddy ever did, too, but admittedly with a bit less technical elegance.

Anyway, yours is definitely an interesting take. Thanks for sharing it.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Buddy is the best pattern player of all-time, but not the straightest shooter of all time. If he had been that, too, he'd also have been the greatest nine ball player of all time. He didn't miss much, but he definitely didn't pocket balls as dependably as Strickland.

The question posed is not who ran the table best. That's another thread for another day. Certainly, Buddy is in that conversation. Buddy used his share of English, too, though definitely less than Earl. Shane runs the table as well as Buddy ever did, too, but admittedly with a bit less technical elegance.

Anyway, yours is definitely an interesting take. Thanks for sharing it.

You're welcome. And I think the thread was the straightest shooter. Not necessarily the best ball pocketer, or anything else. I'd have to still give the nod to Buddy.

I'd give the honorable mention to Sigel, but even he admitted to spinning every shot. I don't think that qualifies as the straightest shooter, as the post implies.

I saw Lassiter in pretty close to his prime also, 1960s. It's hard to knock him out as well, for this title.

This is not best pocketer, best of all time, most tournaments, etc. It's the straightest shooter.

All the best,
WW

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is NO WAY to define the STRAIGHTEST shooter. How do you define straight? Is there one clear definition?? Being able to shoot the cueball in a laser-straight line every time? Making the most balls?? What?? How are you ever going answer the OP's question?? I don't think it can be truly answered. My answer was just based on what i'd seen IN PERSON.

utterly fair
I fully admit that "straight shooter" is a bit of a curious term
why I posted in the first place..help me ^_^
but I also have thoughts on the subject

as evidenced by the opinions offered in this (and I'm sure, other) threads
there is something to the term
so, as you ask, how do we define "straight"?
I, and others, have mentioned jayson and josh (and ronnie)
what do they have in common?

to me, they so often make the game look easy
they play instinctively, and seemingly without much thought
of course pool is learned, but these guys are also very "natural"
sometimes they miss, maybe for lack of focus/taking time
but by and large they just don't miss balls, even/especially when position is tough
and these guys are not rattling balls..pockets are getting drilled

I like that stu mentioned "the eye test"
stats for sure tell a lot, but I like to see the players
it's certainly more subjective, maybe not all that scientific
but I do think there is an overall "quality" to how the ball is hit, too
that contributes to how we feel about it

now what about the players that play great position?
they play the rock so good
that they don't usually have to play hard shots
and they might appear less impressive because of it
and I'd still like to see accuracy stats on all players
and compare
but when any player's got a tough shot
when the heat is on
who's the coolest?

just my initial thoughts, but again, I agree this is a topic worth discussing
thanks all for the replies-

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not the easiest assignment as the equipment has varied with time.

The old timers seemed to feel that Luther Lassiter was the straightest shooter by a mile. Perhaps two years ago, I mentioned this to Nick Varner, who quickly retorted that Lassiter may well have been the straightest shooter that ever picked up a stick, current players included. I saw Lassiter play when I was a kid on a few occasions, but only saw him play straight pool.

Others from the last generation of players who were superhumanly straight shooters include Willie Mosconi, Earl Strickland, Mike Sigel, Jose Parica, Johnny Archer, Steve Mizerak, Jimmy Caras, Nick Varner and Jim Rempe.

Today, I believe the straightest shooter is Fedor Gorst, and I've felt so for about two years now.

Still, a case can also be made for all of these, presented in no particular order.

Jayson Shaw
JL Chang
Josh Filler
Ruslan Chinakhov
Shane Van Boening
Albin Ouschan
John Schmidt
Niels Feijen
Dennis Orcullo
Klenti Kaci

I agree with virtually all of these...but when he was in his prime,I personally think earl was the single best pocketer of balls that i have ever seen.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Buddy also got out when he was supposed to more than any player (imo) which is why he was "the man" for so long

For the amount of balls he pocketed i'll also opine that he shot the lowest % of "hard" shots

Of todays players CHANG is the closest to having similar tools at his disposal

It's not the easiest assignment as the equipment has varied with time.

The old timers seemed to feel that Luther Lassiter was the straightest shooter by a mile. Perhaps two years ago, I mentioned this to Nick Varner, who quickly retorted that Lassiter may well have been the straightest shooter that ever picked up a stick, current players included. I saw Lassiter play when I was a kid on a few occasions, but only saw him play straight pool.

Others from the last generation of players who were superhumanly straight shooters include Willie Mosconi, Earl Strickland, Mike Sigel, Jose Parica, Johnny Archer, Steve Mizerak, Jimmy Caras, Nick Varner and Jim Rempe.

Today, I believe the straightest shooter is Fedor Gorst, and I've felt so for about two years now.

Still, a case can also be made for all of these, presented in no particular order.

Jayson Shaw
JL Chang
Josh Filler
Ruslan Chinakhov
Shane Van Boening
Albin Ouschan
John Schmidt
Niels Feijen
Dennis Orcullo
Klenti Kaci

Those Russian players are just amazing. Love Fedor Gorst, and I think that Ruslan Chinakhov is right up there with him too. Amazing players, both of them.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
In my viewing experience, snooker players outclass pool players for uncanny accuracy.

But in pool, three people stand out to me: Johnny Archer, Jayson Shaw, and Joshua Filler. These three split center pocket and have laser-like trajectories that boggle the mind. I love watching all three play.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think the definition "the one you'd want shooting a real tough shot for your money" is fair. and it's earl, filler, shaw for my money.

sharpshooters aren't necessarily the best position players or most complete pool players though. for earl and filler it seems the stars aligned. shaw is somewhat lax in his position play imo.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If we back up to the late 80s Earl shot straighter than anyone I saw on tour and Buddy moved the cue ball smoother than anyone else.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it wasnt straight in and had to be cut my money would be Louie all day and night and day and night . When he was right position was overrated just fire it in.