Cue Ball Damage/Break Cue

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I kinda remember now hearing about some shafts/tips? etc that damaged cue balls when breaking.
Phenolic tips cause serious scuff marks on the cue ball. This is easy to demonstrate on a new cue ball that you don't care about.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a good friend over. Cleaned the ball set before play. Week later again, found permanent scratches in the New Belgium red circle that's 3 mths old. The scratches....There were 7 scrape lines, side by side in a row, like a mini pallet. After 4 + hr's play, the cue ball was not like it used to be. He came over again and I asked em to use another shaft with a different break tip. His shaft had not tip, it was part of the shaft, just round at the end.
You must really live in the hills?

There was a helluva thread on phenolic tip damage and the guy even posted his back/ forth with aramith about the matter.

Now that I think about it, aramith denied based on 'no ball in hand' (lol)...with afaik never any statement about it to date- definitely over 5yrs since the exchange I mentioned.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All the underlined items are NO.
Gone thru 2 tips in 3 mths, and nary a scratch on that cue ball/then/ding.
The Break shaft is dome shaped at the end, has NO tip, the shaft is the tip. I kinda remember now hearing about some shafts/tips? etc that damaged cue balls when breaking.

Are you becoming slightly senile? The ‘tip’ is just the end of the cue. Are you confused as to the difference between a one piece tip/ferrule, and no ferrule with a tip? Are are you confusing material types? I think it’s time you post a pic of the cue in question so we can end this which hunt you’ve started.

Phenolic tips cause serious scuff marks on the cue ball. This is easy to demonstrate on a new cue ball that you don't care about.

What is it about phenolic tips that mar the surface, that a ball to ball contact can’t? Everything is still phenolic to phenolic contact.

Last edited:

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
What is it about phenolic tips that mar the surface, that a ball to ball contact can’t? Everything is still phenolic to phenolic contact.

Hmm. Polished surfaces. Lack of chalk between the balls. Different radius of contact surfaces.

That's 3 off the top of my head.

And ball resin is WAY different than rolled phenolic. So, that's 4.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a good friend over. Cleaned the ball set before play. Week later again, found permanent scratches in the New Belgium red circle that's 3 mths old. The scratches....There were 7 scrape lines, side by side in a row, like a mini pallet. After 4 + hr's play, the cue ball was not like it used to be. He came over again and I asked em to use another shaft with a different break tip. His shaft had not tip, it was part of the shaft, just round at the end.

I take my own set of balls to the pool room.

I also carry an extra red circle on the off chance I feel like playing 9/10ball with someone who will probably be using a break stick with an uber hard tip. (It's not an issue for me, because I don't even use a break stick I play the rotation games so rarely.) I just switch them out before play begins and save my regular CB for 1pocket and 14.1.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any cue ball that has been used for a while will show those half moon marks from impact with the rack. If you use a full leather tip for breaking, the marks still show up. Easy to prove or disprove. Start with a new cue ball and break 50 times with leather only.
Does not affect playability!!

Bull ca-ca.

Lou Figueroa

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eeeeeeenie

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200713-160030.jpg
    Screenshot_20200713-160030.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 146

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top cue has a G10 ferrule. If Bill’s friend has a one piece g10 then obviously we know what the problem could be.
Top cue causes no issues as it has leather up top.

As you say: no tip is likely to result in cracks...like the bottom one pictured (phenolic) does.

i POSTED PICTURES OF MY BALLS. First has cracks and 2nd doesnt. First was the victim of phenolic break tip and the second one has never been struck by phenolic.

p.s. I think one would have to understand that below a certain strike speed, the phenolic doesn't damage pool balls.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
Top cue causes no issues as it has leather up top.

As you say: no tip is likely to result in cracks...like the bottom one pictured (phenolic) does.

i POSTED PICTURES OF MY BALLS. First has cracks and 2nd doesnt. First was the victim of phenolic break tip and the second one has never been struck by phenolic.

p.s. I think one would have to understand that below a certain strike speed, the phenolic doesn't damage pool balls.

Boy, that top tip sure looks like canvas phenolic....you're sure it's leather?

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
I think it is...guess i am not sure. Ive never been asked to discontinue its use at tournaments wher phenolic is banned?

Those equally spaced veins on the side of the brown scream a very loose weave canvas phenolic. Can you sand the top of the tip a little to see if it's leather? I've never seen that vein structure in leather, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.