Bullet Proof Glass Tips.... Incognito?

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Or anyone else that may have an idea.....

I saw where you had said 2 players in your league were using bullet proof glass tips awhile back....

Think there is any chance of finding out who had made them? I would love to get my hands on one for some testing....

Thanks for any info,
Chris

And yes I tried to PM but his box is full =)

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do know that there is a custom cue maker down the road from that has a primary business in the police / fire face shields that would have the knowledge & skills appropriate to make this happen.

"Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars." ---Casey Kasem

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I do know that there is a custom cue maker down the road from that has a primary business in the police / fire face shields that would have the knowledge & skills appropriate to make this happen.

"Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars." ---Casey Kasem

Hmmm sounds like that might be a solid lead.... Any contact info on the cuemaker in question???

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

I saw where you had said 2 players in your league were using bullet proof glass tips awhile back....

Think there is any chance of finding out who had made them? I would love to get my hands on one for some testing....

Thanks for any info,
Chris

Kevlar.
I use them for inserts and ferrules once in a while.
They are yellow-green and pretty much indestructible as tip and ferrule.

But, they are not glass like you described.

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glass

'Bullet Resistant' Glass would be the professional term. However, I don't think that's what you're looking for. BR glass is laminated in layers averaging over 1" thick depending on the level of resistance desired.

Sounds more like a polymer like Lexan. Or as Joey suggests, Kevlar.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i do not know how to post the pics . go to my profile page and look at the purple heart cue . click on the image and it will enlarge showing more detail.

is this the type of tipless ferrule you are talking about ?
it is almost clear , you can see the end of the shaft inside.

i do not know what material it is or who made it. i picked up the cue at a pawn shop just because of the ferrule on it. it is a great breaking cue. i have fooled around and played with it during a game occasionally but it makes a heluva plinking sound.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Your never getting true BR glass to fit on a pool cue.

But lexan, commonly refered to as BR when layed up correctly could work. But lexan is not nearly as hard as phenolic. Even Kevlar is not considered BR when layed up as a solid but it'd be easily as hard as phenolic as its not really the fibers that give it its hardness but rather the epoxy resins used when in that form.

champ2107

Banned
i do not know how to post the pics . go to my profile page and look at the purple heart cue . click on the image and it will enlarge showing more detail.

is this the type of tipless ferrule you are talking about ?
it is almost clear , you can see the end of the shaft inside.

i do not know what material it is or who made it. i picked up the cue at a pawn shop just because of the ferrule on it. it is a great breaking cue. i have fooled around and played with it during a game occasionally but it makes a heluva plinking sound.

this one?

picture.php

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
this one?

picture.php

I'm guessing that what you have there is g10 or g11.

I have 1/4 thick sheet of lexan that we print on for backlit signs. It's not bullet proof but it is damage resistant and shatter proof. I don't think it would offer any better results that a phenolic tip would though.

I will make one and try it out, who knows!

txironhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, that's gotta be a great conversation piece.

Roughly going by the definition of phenolic, wouldn't Kevlar be considered a type of phenolic?

Definitely like to hear more info if someone finds out for sure what the clear ferrules are made of.

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:shrug:

There was an APA 8-ball division that I played on several years ago where 2 of the players had cues with bullet proof glass tips. Unfortunately, I don't know where they went to get these tips. The only thing I can think of would be to find yourself a cue maker who would custom do the job for you.

Thanks for any info,
Chris

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roughly going by the definition of phenolic, wouldn't Kevlar be considered a type of phenolic?

Kevlar is a man made thread/fabric, you can make clothes out of it.
Phenolic is a resin that gets cooked in an over in order to set up hard.

Don't see how anyone could call one the other.....

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Kevlar is a man made thread/fabric, you can make clothes out of it.
Phenolic is a resin that gets cooked in an over in order to set up hard.

Don't see how anyone could call one the other.....

Easy, you put kelvar fibers in place of the 'standard' fibers typically available in most Phenolic Resin. :)

txironhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, there's Kevlar fabric and then there's the Kevlar "plate" that was popular before they started doing the ceramic (I believe) plate common in combat vests now. At least, to the best of my knowledge. I don't think I've ever owned anything with Kevlar.

If the "bulletproof glass" tips are indeed lexan, then why wouldn't another hard substance do as well? Such as some of the materials that joints and ferrules are made of? There are phenolic ferrules with a built-in tip, right? I wouldn't use ivory, but perhaps some of the plastic or resin replacements.

I'm just not sure some of the tips would be legal for league play, I'm pretty sure BCA wouldn't allow it since they're stricter than the APA.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Kevlar is a Dupont product name for simply a 'fiber'.

What you do with that fiber is up to you.

Typically bullet proof things are either REALLY REALLY hard like plate steel in tanks or designed in such a way that the material gives in order to dissipate and/or expend the energy of the bullet and attempt to capture it prior to penetration. Thats where kevlar infusing serves best.

That type of energy 'trasnfer' would be IMO, contrary to what one would think you would want in a break cue tip.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Thanks to everyone who posted on here :thumbup:... Everything is food for thought... I may find some SR lexan and see what I get...

I am looking for a high COR material that is softer than g10 or phenolic that will stay rough enough to hold chalk without having to spend too much time on the maintenance....

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Thanks to everyone who posted on here :thumbup:... Everything is food for thought... I may find some SR lexan and see what I get...

I am looking for a high COR material that is softer than g10 or phenolic that will stay rough enough to hold chalk without having to spend too much time on the maintenance....

If you want I can send you a small piece of 1/4 in thick Lexan for free. Just pm me your address and I will get it in the mail for ya.

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
I wonder if a rubber tip would give you an accelerating rebound effect, producing more speed on a break... Would be interesting to test anyway.