Whatever happened to BUCKTOOTH ?

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have been collecting autographs of all the famous and infamous people in pool for over 30 years .

I was at a DCC and asked the Tooth for his in the lobby.
Of course he had an entourage with him of people enamored with him and people trying to figure a way to rob him.
He told me he never signed autographs because once you put your signature on a piece of paper , someone could write anything and the crowd loved it.
I thought about it a while and while I understood where he was coming from , I wanted it even more now , knowing that he didn't spread them around.
I got a piece of stationary from the desk and wrote,
This piece of paper is for an autograph from Bucktooth Cook only.
It is in no way meant as a legal document or an IOU or a transfer of any goods or services and the owner of the paper has no legal rights to any legal recourse today tomorrow or any day in the future.
I don't have it here in front of me but this is the gist of what the paper said.
I left a tiny space at the bottom for his signature assuring that nothing could be added at a later date.
I walked back up to him and he kind of gave me the evil eye thinking I was going to dog him about it .
When I handed him the paper , he read it and smiled and signed it.
Now the groupies all wanted to know how I got him to sign something after that speech.
Pretty nice of him to share the spotlight even if it was just for a moment.

Being creative is essential to being a successful autograph collector. I got the autograph of the guy who invented the guidance system for the smart bombs used in the first Gulf War by calling him and asking for his autograph through the mail. He told me he was going on vacation and to send whatever I wanted signed when he got back. Have a signed magazine photo.
Great story!!

derekdisco

We woulda won state!
Silver Member
The TOOTH!

Attachments

• tooth.jpg
    tooth.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 800

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Buck " No Fear " Tooth ........

Anybody seen or heard from Bucktooth lately?

Thanks

Kevin

He was front and center at the West Coast Swing in Fremont last week.
I'm certain he was chasing Tony around, trying to get him on his Keno
Board. Tony is very fearful of that thing. The Tooth, on the other hand,
ain't a'feared of anything.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BT is around SF Bay and seems well. I see him like several already mentioned almost weekly at Crown Billiards in San Ramon ( he is not playing in the League anymore ) Larger Tournaments like WCS that just came through and local BB Tourneys conversing and looking for action if it's right for him. I have never seen him play although he usually has his case close.

He owned a Hall many years ago in the 80's in the Town ( Castro Valley) where I live and heard allot of 'one handed pool' stories back then. I grew up playing Golf since 8 so I never saw or knew BT until the last 4 years or so when shoulders started to fail and I started actually 'playing' or should I say 'trying' to play pool. Very interesting fellow.

Have a good day,

-Kat,

Last edited:

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Legendary

IMHO....Bucktooth is a great part of pool history around the Bay Area and Northern California.
He's a character; old school hustling and woofing... His biggest hook was baiting the pros by flashing his large wads of C-notes and getting a lot of weight that turned out to be the nuts. Looking at all that green, lured a quite a few young sharpshooters into giving him the weight he asked for. He was fun to watch, providing laughs whenever he was around. I remember one instance when he was at one of those old Sands Reno Tournaments, trying to get a game in the practice room, telling everybody he had just gotten out of the hospital and using that as a reason for getting a big spot....he pulled out a document of some kind, saying that it was certification from his doctor, or something to that effect.... to which somebody in the room said, "Yeah, it says that you're certifiably insane!"