Black Walnut cue

sac14214

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is my 8th cue finished so far. Far from perfect but getting happier with results. Walnut is cored with 3/4" maple. 4 points of ebony with yellow, brown, yellow veneers. It was very difficult to capture all the figure in this wood with camera.

blackwalnutcue.jpg

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i really like the wood,its pretty
you seem to be off to a great start

dean

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
This is my 8th cue finished so far. Far from perfect but getting happier with results. Walnut is cored with 3/4" maple. 4 points of ebony with yellow, brown, yellow veneers. It was very difficult to capture all the figure in this wood with camera.

Nice looking cue, why did you core it? I don't know enough about Walnut, so did you do it because of the weight or for strength over all. I always though Walnut was a Hard wood and that it was pretty stable.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Again your works looks great.

sac14214

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice looking cue, why did you core it? I don't know enough about Walnut, so did you do it because of the weight or for strength over all. I always though Walnut was a Hard wood and that it was pretty stable.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Again your works looks great.

I don't know enough about walnut either. This is all trial an error for me, a learning process of sorts. I only do this as a hobby.

I cored it because this piece was very light weight. I also was not sure how the wild grain pattern would hold up over time. My thought was being cored would add weight and stability.

If I had to do it again I think I would have used a heavier wood than maple. I prefer a more forward balance. The cue is 59 1/4" long when assembled.

The butt ended up being 13.64 oz. and with a 1.5 oz. weight bolt was able to get it up to 15.14 oz.

Shaft 1 is 3.81 oz. (total = 18.95 oz, balance point 18 1/4")

Shaft 2 is 4.29 oz. (total = 19.43 oz, balance point 19 5/8")

Shaft 3 (purpleheart) is 4.62 oz. (total = 19.76 oz, balance point 20 1/8")

I made this one (and the others) as part of a learning process. I love the challenge but also because I wanted a cue that fit me and my preferences. I still am not 100% sure I have what I am striving for but am getting closer and having lots of fun doing it.

Steve Campbell

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great job

The wood you selected steals the show. Never saw a Black Walnut cue before. It is even for cues expensive wood so to speak.
Congrats,
Nick :)

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I don't know enough about walnut either. This is all trial an error for me, a learning process of sorts. I only do this as a hobby.

I cored it because this piece was very light weight. I also was not sure how the wild grain pattern would hold up over time. My thought was being cored would add weight and stability.

If I had to do it again I think I would have used a heavier wood than maple. I prefer a more forward balance. The cue is 59 1/4" long when assembled.

The butt ended up being 13.64 oz. and with a 1.5 oz. weight bolt was able to get it up to 15.14 oz.

Shaft 1 is 3.81 oz. (total = 18.95 oz, balance point 18 1/4")

Shaft 2 is 4.29 oz. (total = 19.43 oz, balance point 19 5/8")

Shaft 3 (purpleheart) is 4.62 oz. (total = 19.76 oz, balance point 20 1/8")

I made this one (and the others) as part of a learning process. I love the challenge but also because I wanted a cue that fit me and my preferences. I still am not 100% sure I have what I am striving for but am getting closer and having lots of fun doing it.

Steve Campbell

Steve I am a self taught cue maker myself, and I also do not do it full time. I think your thoughts and decision to core it were spot on and completely the right way to go, it is always better to be safe than sorry.

Nice looking cue, keep up the good work, and thanks for answering my post.