Oil on pool cue just ruined my felt

arraamis

Registered
That is a nasty and possibly expensive problem (If you have to refelt).... Another consideration is that the oily substance saturated the slate as well, which would complicate clean-up.

Hope you can get away with just cleaning the felt.

Better check the oil level on that cue... probably a little low with that leak!!!

I see what you did there :thumbup:

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a lucasi, Black Irish linen wrap. Wonder if someone put some black shoe polish or dye on the wrap to darken it. No other idea how that could happen.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Looks like a lucasi, Black Irish linen wrap. Wonder if someone put some black shoe polish or dye on the wrap to darken it. No other idea how that could happen.

That's what I wondered...dye on wrap not dry?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the case is new is it possible someone used some cleaning fluid to clean the holes individually and didn't get that hole dry? Cue wrap absorbed the fluid and the rest is history.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
If the case is new is it possible someone used some cleaning fluid to clean the holes individually and didn't get that hole dry? Cue wrap absorbed the fluid and the rest is history.

That is a good point.

If the case is an import, who knows what was in there prior. Chinese shippers will slip any old worthless shaft or butt in the case as shipping "luggage" is cheaper than shipping international goods.

hayes1699

Registered
Thanks for all the input

Thanks everyone for all the thoughts and suggestions. I'm hesitant to give my cue and case info away until I actually figure out what happened. At this point I think it was the case. We will see.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Who cares if you tell us what it is, case/cue.

I'm a muecci player w a $20 case :duck:

Edit:
After looking at the stain again, if the cue was set on the table and then picked up w out sliding, that cannot be coming from the thread, the stain is too long imo. It looks as though the stain runs the length of the butt. If that's true, I'm highly suspect of the case.

Last edited:

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At 1st I thought it was a leather wrap. After staring at the pic for a minute it looks like someone smeared shoe polish on a linen wrap to make it black...

Last edited:

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Kids?

Do you have a 4 year old that poured a quart of oil in you cue case?
Someone at the bar pissed at you?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a good point.

If the case is an import, who knows what was in there prior. Chinese shippers will slip any old worthless shaft or butt in the case as shipping "luggage" is cheaper than shipping international goods.

I am confused by this.

Are you claiming it is cheaper to send a case with something in it, vs sending it empty?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am confused by this.

Are you claiming it is cheaper to send a case with something in it, vs sending it empty?
When some companies such as Seyberts send out their lower priced cases that are not that sturdy, they will often send an unfinished cheap shaft in the case. I've always assumed it's just to keep the cheaper case from buckling if by some reason the box it is shipped in takes abuse during shipping. I assume these cheap shafts were placed in the cases not by Seyberts, but by the overseas manufacturer where the cases are made.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I am confused by this.

From China to US, yes.

By adding contents into the cases, the shipper can claim it as luggage and not goods. It is cheaper.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When some companies such as Seyberts send out their lower priced cases that are not that sturdy, they will often send an unfinished cheap shaft in the case. I've always assumed it's just to keep the cheaper case from buckling if by some reason the box it is shipped in takes abuse during shipping. I assume these cheap shafts were placed in the cases not by Seyberts, but by the overseas manufacturer where the cases are made.
It is a cheaper import tarrif I believe if the case has a shaft. I get unfinished shafts, probably seconds, in the import hard cases I sell.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Suggestion for removing oil from felt. Get an ink blotter if you can find one. Place it on the stain and use a steam iron to blot the stain by ironing the area.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Suggestion for removing oil from felt. Get an ink blotter if you can find one. Place it on the stain and use a steam iron to blot the stain by ironing the area.

Blue magic will remove it completely it’s a spray dry clean in a can for vehicle interiors sold at O’rileys. I’ve removed blood wine grass chit and oil stains with it from interior furnishings to vehicles and clothing .....used it on one of my wool hats a friend thought would be cool to try on with greasy dam hands.....the blue magic worked like a champ, the wool hat looks like the Day I got it.....roughly 10$ a can and you get a good bit out of it....my Benze SUV was beyond nasty carpet all over when I bought it cheap and used two cans on it to bring back new....spray it on and suck it up seconds later with s good vac.....fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blue magic will remove it completely it’s a spray dry clean in a can for vehicle interiors sold at O’rileys. I’ve removed blood wine grass chit and oil stains with it from interior furnishings to vehicles and clothing .....used it on one of my wool hats a friend thought would be cool to try on with greasy dam hands.....the blue magic worked like a champ, the wool hat looks like the Day I got it.....roughly 10$ a can and you get a good bit out of it....my Benze SUV was beyond nasty carpet all over when I bought it cheap and used two cans on it to bring back new....spray it on and suck it up seconds later with s good vac.....fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I may try it on some of the stains on our tables we can't get out. Is that the Blue Magic carpet stain and spot lifter in an aerosol can, in a spray bottle, or the heavy foam carpet cleaner in a can? Thanks