Snapping your Cue - “I’m done!”

Mkbtank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got this text from a buddy yesterday.

04d2869299ee3f0115ef51bc7e90459a.jpg

He has been trying to play more seriously for about a year. Got a lesson from a top pro and has been reading, watching, and studying. Making progress. Played great the other day and yesterday “Couldn’t make a ball”. Got so frustrated he snapped (The cue lol).

I told him we’ve all been there.

What would you tell him??? (I will later show him to this thread).

Thanks!

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just tell him that if he made more balls, he would miss less. It's that simple

simco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell your friend to take up a less frustrating game,like golf :grin:

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before you can become a real top player, you must join a league and learn to twirl your cue like an airplane propeller. You have to own a couple jump cues and a 25 ounce break stick. Get a black cue case with skulls on it and a long tail coat that will hold all your league patches.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He has been trying to play more seriously for about a year. Got a lesson from a top pro and has been reading, watching, and studying. Making progress. Played great the other day and yesterday “Couldn’t make a ball”. Got so frustrated he snapped (The cue lol).

Thanks!

The game is about using a rounded object to hit a round object and make it hit another round object to make it go into a small slot several feet away.

You're also trying to make the first round object roll exactly where you want.

Lou Figueroa
no one said
it was easy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's burning himself out on just a few game types, you have to have fun. Try games you expect to miss a lot in, he'll be more forgiving of himself. I usually play Honolulu (favorite) or Cowgirl (all 10 shots are like the last 1 of Cowboy). Or get used to taking defeat, rotational break 7-ball.

Whatever, just don't burn out and hate it.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Before you can become a real top player, you must join a league and learn to twirl your cue like an airplane propeller. You have to own a couple jump cues and a 25 ounce break stick. Get a black cue case with skulls on it and a long tail coat that will hold all your league patches.

Mr. Zapper has yet to learn the value of a good cue twirl. There’s no better way to meld the Cue/Arm/Brain than to give your cue a good twirl at the right times.

If you’re studying a difficult layout you want to do a slightly ‘disinterested’ slow twirl, full focus still on the balls.

Once you’ve decided to take on a very difficult shot you do an aggressive fast twirl, preferably getting the “whoosh” sound on your down swing, all the while keeping great control with forearm and wrist strength. You can do this before getting down on the shot or even twirl right into your MF stance, though that might look a little too super-heroish.

And finally (this would’ve helped days ago) if you’re going to snap a cue you absolutely must do it in style. This one is very similar to the “tough shot twirl” except you choose a horizontal hard surface to aim at, step into the twirl, come out of the gate at speed...and follow through as if said horizontal surface doesn’t even exist, definitely getting the whoosh sound, aiming the middle of the shaft at the apex of the corner of the surface. For emphasis you should hold your finishing posture for at least 5 seconds post impact.

And then...forget about it and start playing again. Get your anger and frustration out with very square punches to the slate. Not hard, just enough to release a little. Practice easy shots for long periods, 3 ball runs, get confidence back and all that.

Last edited:

Mkbtank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's burning himself out on just a few game types, you have to have fun. Try games you expect to miss a lot in, he'll be more forgiving of himself. I usually play Honolulu (favorite) or Cowgirl (all 10 shots are like the last 1 of Cowboy). Or get used to taking defeat, rotational break 7-ball.

Whatever, just don't burn out and hate it.

Thanks! Good advice.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1- if he was serious, he'd have broken the butt. Just a cry for attention. Probably just wants an excuse to buy carbon.

B: sometimes, the cue must pay.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Thanks!

Tell him to quit playing pool, he's not ever going to get better, and to take up fishing!!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wuz thinking the same thing!

1- if he was serious, he'd have broken the butt. Just a cry for attention. Probably just wants an excuse to buy carbon.

B: sometimes, the cue must pay.

Yep, when you are really done you shatter the butt or give it away. I have seen a few left sticking through a sheetrock wall too. Funny when a cue left in the wall is put behind the counter and somebody has to come back and ask for it a few days or weeks later.

Most people who break shafts or cues are just claiming they are better than they are performing at the moment. Nope, you are not. Everyone's play is a combination of their usual days, their great days, and their worst. Winners narrow the distance between their best days and their worst. When you are having a bad day and still find a way to win, those are remembered victories.

Hu