Pawn shop find

SDPDMDIE

Registered
Just found a McDermott C15 with two shafts.
Butt needs rewrapping and a butt plate.
Shafts need ferrules and tips plus resurfacing.
Is this a worthwhile project?

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
dependa on how much you are paying. and if you are planning on keeping or selling. I would think the work you mention would be $325-$400

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just found a McDermott C15 with two shafts.
Butt needs rewrapping and a butt plate.
Shafts need ferrules and tips plus resurfacing.
Is this a worthwhile project?

You don't say what you paid, so how can one judge if it is worth it?

If you are asking if it is worth salvaging a C-15 in general, oh heck yeah. :smile:

http://www.mcdermottcue.com/repairs_refurbish.php

I hope the original bumper is with it. They can be a little tough to find, but I think there are some on Ebay right now.

Last edited:

SDPDMDIE

Registered
Pawn shop find,part 2

I was trying to add a pic to post but I'm having trouble sizing jpeg.
I paid less than $50.00 for the butt and two shafts.
The original bumper is in good shape.

Last edited:

SDPDMDIE

Registered
Pawn shop find,part 2

Here is a picture of the pawn shop find.

Attachments

• 20190727_101137.jpg
    20190727_101137.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 1,123

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was trying to add a pic to post but I'm having trouble sizing jpeg.
I paid less than $50.00 for the butt and two shafts.
The original bumper is in good shape.

$50?

You stole it. :thumbup:

Even with the cost of the work you will be WAY ahead.

I got a C-17 for I think 100 or 125. Didn't need any work except to clean the leather wrap, which I did myself. Came out beautiful. Finish is darn near perfect, hard to find a mark. And the wrap came out perfect.

Great cues. :thumbup:

1544624222_20181209_132646.jpg

1544624253_20181209_132734.jpg

The wrap looked like this when I got it:

1544626858_imagejpeg_0ggh77dd3we.jpg

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a picture of the pawn shop find.

Spectacular!

That will come out perfect. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I would suggest to have a leather wrap. Textured like my original C-17.

Again...you stole it. :thumbup::thumbup:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice looking cue
only you will know if the project is worth it to you,
but it sure is a nice cue

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would agree it is worth a refurbish- BUT- first I would make sure that the inner connections on that cue are not loose- because if the cue has a buzz- we are talking about a lot more money than it might be worth to fix it. The cheapest , fastest ways to determine this for this cue would be : 1. screw one shaft on real tight and hold the butt end in the wrap area with one hand and open hand strike the lower third of the shaft with the other hand so that the shaft vibrates back and forth- LISTEN REAL CLOSe for any BUZZ coming from the forearm area of the cue above the wrap. 2. Since there are no tips, cheaply you can buy a slip on tip for about $1 and just slip it over the ferrule as tight as possible and go hit a few balls- see if you can sense any noise coming from that forearm area above the wrap area. NOT a perfect test, but better to do some of this testing rather than spend several hundred and then find out it is messed up INSIDE the cue!

I am only telling you this from years of experience collecting cues; where early on one time I did NOT test the cue prior to a refinish and could not recover MY investment because the cue had a messed up connection inside and I discovered this only when I started playing with it after adding tips and a refinish- do not count on Refinishing people to check out your cue for this problem- mine, a beautiful older Palmer; went to a well known guy years ago and he did the work without checking out the internal cue connections- NOT his fault or responsibility unless you ask first and I did NOT> Good Luck- Nice Cue!

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hell yaaa that's worth spending the morning
Straight to Scot Sherbine do not pass go

Excellent choice. But he needs a butt cap with logo. So I say send it to McDermott or the value will be significantly depreciated.

SDPDMDIE

Registered
Thanks everyone for the replies and advice.
I will take it all in and make sure get it done right.
The joint is tight and there are no unusual buzzing or vibrations.
There is some separation between the ferrules and the shafts.
Probably a mm or so, definitely needs replacing.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool!

FYI- I strongly suggest not testing the cue for a buzz by striking the side of it.

Just ask about in the cue makers forum if you want clarification.

Doing this can actually create the buzz it pretends to look for. The more you try it the more likely it will happen.

I would definitely hit a few balls with it before sending it out for refinish. Easily done with another shaft, or you can have your ferrules and tips done to try it out.

The reality with this cue, since you paid so little, is that even if it needed an A joint repair or new handle, the cue would still be worth more in the end than the repairs cost.

Please post pics when it is done. I would love to see it. :thumbup::thumbup: