After hours fun

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My first day here and I went to the Peppermill for a poker tourney. 124 players in an Omaha event. I played from Noon till 9 PM and got knocked out 12th for $380. First prize was over 8K. Too bad, oh well tomorrow is another day.

Came back to watch the pool tourney. Very well run by Bill Stock, Ric Jones and Ken Shuman. You couldn't have a better crew. It looked like all was going well so I went to bed. Woke up at 4 AM and wandered down to the poolroom. There was a Ring Ten Ball game in progress with Richie Orem, Sal Butera, Edwin Montal, Carl Wilson, Efren ?? and Marshall ??. They each put up $100 with the first player to win 11 games getting the 600.

I found out they had been playing since Midnite, and two players were on 10 (Carl and Marshall). I watched Richie run out two tough racks to reach the hill and Edwin got there too when he got to look at the 8 ball hanging in the hole. Now four players were on the hill. After some 55 games we would see a winner. Carl got the first crack at it, but had no shot. Then Edwin failed too to get a good roll. Now it was Richies chance and he had to come with a tough shot on the 1 to start out. I sat next to Gibby and said funny things can happen in the last game and they did.

Richie ran down to the 9 ball and could draw up table for the 10. He went a little crazy and over drew the ball and the cue ball ran into the 10 and almost scratched in the corner. But luck was with him and the 10 rolled down and stopped in front of the other corner pocket. And the cue ball was on the same end rail. Easy pickings but it could have spelled disaster.

A very very strong field here again. Whoever wins this one will surely deserve it. They are playing on the new tight pocket Diamonds, with the Diamond lights. Simply the best bar tables by far. And a good test.

More later but first, more poker.

Last edited:

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
Jay... thanks for the report. Got a question for ya... what was the score between Dan Louie and Antonio Gabica?... I saw that Gabica won the match but the online brackets here at AZB don't list the match score.

TIA brother!! :)

kevin s

Tennessee
Silver Member
twice in reno?

Richie Orem won the Reno Open just a few months back. Off to a good start in this event!!

Handsumm

Banned
My horse James Walden is undefeated and has beaten Ernesto Dominguez. Anybody want to put up someone against my guy? I'll be there late tonight.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
You got action !!! Look me up I'll be in tournament room all night. He can play Shane some.

Handsumm

Banned
JCIN said:
You got action !!! Look me up I'll be in tournament room all night. He can play Shane some.
SVB is a much bigger name than my guy. He will probably have to spot a couple on the wire.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
belmicah said:
SVB is a much bigger name than my guy. He will probably have to spot a couple on the wire.

Funny thing. They just played for 5-6th. James was ahead 7-3 and scratched twice on the break. Shane catches up at 7-7. James get a game and then misses a tough 7-9 combo on the hill and its tied again 8-8. Shane makes a good break and run for the match. Could have gone either way.

Shane is playing Dave Martin now. Rafael in the wings, and Warren K. in the hot seat. Warren just beat Rafael 9-7 for the hot seat.

kevin s

Tennessee
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Funny thing. They just played for 5-6th. James was ahead 7-3 and scratched twice on the break. Shane catches up at 7-7. James get a game and then misses a tough 7-9 combo on the hill and its tied again 8-8. Shane makes a good break and run for the match. Could have gone either way.

Shane is playing Dave Martin now. Rafael in the wings, and Warren K. in the hot seat. Warren just beat Rafael 9-7 for the hot seat.
Jay,
Thanks for the updates!! My friend and former roommate Richie O. has been elimated I see. Have you seen any other late night action with anyone?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
By now you should know that Warren Kiamco took the 9-Ball. He easily beat Rafael 9-5 in the final. He was undefeated. His break worked all the way. Shane was third.

1. Warren $6,000 2. Rafael $3,500 3. Shane $2,500 4. Dave Martin $1,500
5-6. James Walden & Jason Williams $1,000

The Eight Ball will be huge with over 200 players in already.

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
Thanks for the update Jay... AZB's home page no longer has a link to the 9-ball brackets.

Hope that the 8-ball brackets will be posted soon.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
226 in the Eight Ball. Should be a free for all. Can't say enough about the great job running the event that Ric, Bonnie, Bill and Ken are doing. They don't even need me. So back to the Peppermill for more poker. Played the No Limit tourney yesterday and got another cash. 13th place paid $585. So, I'm two for two, but haven't hit the big money yet.

The players love the new Pro Cut Dimaond tables. Tight 4.5" pockets make it a good test. Only the straight shooting need apply. No accidents in this tournament. The best players will be there at the end. My favorites, I love Shane's attitude and work ethic. He is the next American star. And of course, the filipinos are always a threat to win any tournament they send a contingent to.

James Walden is a scappy player, who could be a threat in Eight Ball. Smart and savvy, he knows how to win. And Kim can still get there. A proven champion. So that's how I handicap it. So many good players here though. It has become the toughest bar table event to win.

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
226 in the Eight Ball. Should be a free for all.
Jay, why do you suppose there are more players in the 8ball than the 9ball events? Is it because of league players?

Doc

ginsu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 8ball is on the weekend, Doc, more working guys from surrounding states.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
ginsu said:
The 8ball is on the weekend, Doc, more working guys from surrounding states.

Correct. Also seems to be more popular with bar table shooters. That is why it has always been the second event.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Kiamco is in the final four on the winners side. He has to play countryman Gabica. Hmmmm, wonder what's up there. After all there is a 5K bonus if Warren can win both divisions. It's getting close now. Somehow, I seriously doubt Gabica will win this match.

The scary thing is that Gabica can then go over to the losers side and knock out everyone else. The plot thickens. Warren has banked 6K for the 9-Ball. He can win 7K for the Eight Ball plus a 5K bonus. An 18K week, not too shabby. Glad I'm not on the hook for this one.

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
How does this Kiamco guy stack up against the other filipinos, say Orcullo or Manalo?