keep missing this shot, or make it and scratch

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this shot seems to be a common shot, because it comes up a lot for me. but im having no luck at all on this shot. im not sure if its a low percentage shot, or a tough shot, but it comes up all the time in some variation.

im lining up edge to edge, left side object ball, right side of cue ball. im trying everything, high left, high right, middle ball, seem to have the best luck with low left, but I I do make the ball, I scratch in the side pocket.

not sure if im missing some secret angle or piece of the puzzle. if it is low left, what happens when your jacked up on the long rail and you can't hit low left?

this shot is killing me.:frown::frown::frown:

Attachments

• cut 2.png
    cut 2.png
    62 KB · Views: 416

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
this shot seems to be a common shot, because it comes up a lot for me. but im having no luck at all on this shot. im not sure if its a low percentage shot, or a tough shot, but it comes up all the time in some variation.

im lining up edge to edge, left side object ball, right side of cue ball. im trying everything, high left, high right, middle ball, seem to have the best luck with low left, but I I do make the ball, I scratch in the side pocket.

not sure if im missing some secret angle or piece of the puzzle. if it is low left, what happens when your jacked up on the long rail and you can't hit low left?

this shot is killing me.:frown::frown::frown:
Slow roll it with center, a little high for natural roll. Your aim is off.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... im lining up edge to edge, left side object ball, right side of cue ball. im trying everything, high left, high right, middle ball, seem to have the best luck with low left, but I I do make the ball, ...
This is a shot that can be made without side spin. I think there is something wrong with your fundamentals if you can't simply hit that shot thin with no spin and make it without scratching.

I suggest you start with the cue ball much closer along the same line. Gradually make the shot longer.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like this one too

the only problem is what's left on the table?

If there's another ball on the table that must be shot next, unless it's somewhere along the middle of the far end rail, I'd still cinch this shot with straight top and go back and forth. If the next ball happens to be on that far end rail then I'm using low left, medium speed, aiming for a slightly thicker hit than I'd use when just rolling it in.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there's another ball on the table that must be shot next, unless it's somewhere along the middle of the far end rail, I'd still cinch this shot with straight top and go back and forth. If the next ball happens to be on that far end rail then I'm using low left, medium speed, aiming for a slightly thicker hit than I'd use when just rolling it in.
I need full disclosure, OP please elaborate

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's only the 9 Ball left on the table, then I would do a CJ and shoot it high with a touch of inside. Even though side spin may not be necessary, this is one of those shots where if you make a slight error to the outside of center, you can scratch either cross-side or even double-cross side. And the touch of inside won't hurt in ball pocketing either, since the common error in these types of shots is to undercut them. There's nothing wrong with building in a little insurance. After all, we're only human.

Last edited:

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
I agree, your aim is off.

This shot can be made with top, bottom, left or right spin. Go back to fundamentals and (as suggested above) use high center rolling english and start closer to the OB. When you use any left or right, many variables apply that simply do not with a rolling ball.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, your aim is off.

This shot can be made with top, bottom, left or right spin. .

Sure it can. And you can also make it while standing on one foot while singing the Star Spangled Banner.

Last edited: