Inside spin on cutshots- Help a banger

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll start off saying I've always been terrible at cutting balls on the rail. I'm a decent banker and the majority of the time I would find a bank rather than trying the cut.

A long time ago I seen someone mention using top inside spin on a long cut down the rail and it worked wonders for me. I've made cuts that I wouldn't have thought I had any chance at before I started taking pool a little more serious.

So now I'm asking all you experts why this seems to work so well? I'm sure some of it is the boost in confidence I have after practicing them over and over and I no longer go up thinking "well here goes another miss" but even when I first started trying it out it worked wonders.

I'll start off saying I've always been terrible at cutting balls on the rail. I'm a decent banker and the majority of the time I would find a bank rather than trying the cut.

A long time ago I seen someone mention using top inside spin on a long cut down the rail and it worked wonders for me. I've made cuts that I wouldn't have thought I had any chance at before I started taking pool a little more serious.

So now I'm asking all you experts why this seems to work so well? I'm sure some of it is the boost in confidence I have after practicing them over and over and I no longer go up thinking "well here goes another miss" but even when I first started trying it out it worked wonders.

My theory based on having taught myself rail shots eons ago:

The inside english widens the margin of error for the rail shot by allowing the cueball to hit the rail at *nearly* the same time as the Oball or slightly before the Oball. The spin increases the rebound angle and serves to spin the object ball into the rail slightly.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
My theory based on having taught myself rail shots eons ago:

The inside english widens the margin of error for the rail shot by allowing the cueball to hit the rail at *nearly* the same time as the Oball or slightly before the Oball. The spin increases the rebound angle and serves to spin the object ball into the rail slightly.

Exactly.

You are also a lot less likely to over cut a ball as a result and wont under cut because of the squirt.

That being said cueball control matters so using too much inside can cost you and you should get used to using outside center etc.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
I do have to make this point though because it is something I am trying to overcome. Accepting that a certain way works for you is an excuse not do it another. Try and approach difficult shots from an analytical standpoint above the table and when you get down to shoot get steely and fire it in

qfans

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Inside cut shots

i believe it's the spin transferred to the object ball which allows it to contact the rail but still slide down it without moving to far away from the rail, when it contacts the outside of the pocket the spin is then transferred again which sends the ball into the pocket or to the other side of the pocket at such an angle it drops. It the old gears or cogs theory where spin is transferred. Imagine the object ball rolling down the Rail while it spinning as if you had hit the object ball w inside spin. Or try this shoot a frozen cue ball above the side pocket down in the corner pocket, try shooting it with outside spin Good Luck! Now try it using a center hit same result Good try! Now try it using inside spin, the ball will slide right down the rail into the pocket, it does take practice tho. The ball actually leaves the rail but the spin can bring it back in line like deflection on a non LD. Shaft. Hope this helps and not to drawn out!

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do have to make this point though because it is something I am trying to overcome. Accepting that a certain way works for you is an excuse not do it another. Try and approach difficult shots from an analytical standpoint above the table and when you get down to shoot get steely and fire it in

Completely understand what you are saying because when I'm shooting a rail cut that's below the first diamond my percentage falls lower actually because using this crutch I tend to scratch, but it has helped tremendously on the mid rail cut shots that I used to miss or bank.

I appreciate the replies guys!

Edit: For some reason my computer doesn't appreciate it as much as me because I'm unable to send greenies at the moment.

Last edited:

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
Completely understand what you are saying because when I'm shooting a rail cut that's below the first diamond my percentage falls lower actually because using this crutch I tend to scratch, but it has helped tremendously on the mid rail cut shots that I used to miss or bank.

I appreciate the replies guys!

You can also use this technique with low, inside English which will lower the chances of this scratch.

This was a common occurrence for me until I tried low, inside English rather than running English (high, inside).

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have not checked - but I would expect Dr Dave has plenty of good info on this subject.

Dale

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It only depends what position you need on the next ball. Get comfortable with using all spins on every shot. Shoot that same shot with right, low, left, high and any variation thereof.

Cueball control is the name of the game. Try not to use English as a crutch for making certain kinds of shots.

Hope this helps.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thorsten has a video somewhere of him running out a rail drill with a head mounted camera on. it's interesting to see it from a pro's point of view and very helpful in seeing how to align the shot using different spins.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
IMO it's because you are spinning into the contact point, essentially a tiny kick shot. As opposed to using center ball where you simply have to hit it perfect or outside where you have to aim off the ball to throw the cueball into the contact position.

OR......come on flames.....learn to use a good aiming system and then you can use any spin you need to and aren't confined to inside with the thinking that this is the only good way to insure that you pocket the ball. The opposite is when we were taught that you should use outside for some cut shots to impart helper english to the object ball. A good aiming system eliminates all that myth.

Cross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO it's because you are spinning into the contact point, essentially a tiny kick shot. As opposed to using center ball where you simply have to hit it perfect or outside where you have to aim off the ball to throw the cueball into the contact position.

OR......come on flames.....learn to use a good aiming system and then you can use any spin you need to and aren't confined to inside with the thinking that this is the only good way to insure that you pocket the ball. The opposite is when we were taught that you should use outside for some cut shots to impart helper english to the object ball. A good aiming system eliminates all that myth.

I have heard of CTE but have no idea how to apply it. But will cte or any other aiming system eliminate the need to factor in cut induced and spin induced throw?

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Really -. How many more times are you going to try to drag CTE arguments back into the Main Forum?

They set up a separate but equal area for "Aiming Discussions" - for the love of God, please use it.

Dale(someone had to say it)

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imagine the rail isn't there. Sometimes if you are to use inside it's best to try to fractionally miss the OB and go slightly rail first. Other times you need to hit the OB first for positional purposes... In this case it becomes more tricky and simply takes practice.

poolplaya1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you end up in two different areas with the cue ball if you hit the rail first or hit the ball first.

When you hit the ball first the spin takes when it hits the rail and you go up table more.

When you hit the rail first the cue ball goes close to 90 degrees to the rail.

So you need to pick the correct shot for the leave you want.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I have heard of CTE but have no idea how to apply it. But will cte or any other aiming system eliminate the need to factor in cut induced and spin induced throw?

Yes. There is a forum to discuss the finer points. Using inside spin can have mechanical benefits but it's limiting in your overall pool game because often using inside spin won't be what you need to play shape.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Really -. How many more times are you going to try to drag CTE arguments back into the Main Forum?

They set up a separate but equal area for "Aiming Discussions" - for the love of God, please use it.

Dale(someone had to say it)

Did I mention CTE? I will mention whatever I want wherever I want whenever I feel it is appropriate.

The comment I made is 100% correct. Or do YOU think that a person should always use inside spin on rail shots?