There is a bad flaw in my form, or something (hitting my rib cage on follow through)

I do not understand why I do this, but at times, I hit the side of my rib cage (with my hand) when I follow through the cue ball.

I do not understand why it happens.

Maybe because I am not holding the grip far enough back, or maybe because my stroke is just warped.

Have you ever had this happen, when you follow through the cue ball?

My stance (feet positioning) never felt completely comfortable either.

Does a players stance and foot positioning change, depending on what type of shot they need to shoot?

Hopefully these questions do not sound too stupid.

Thanks for any advice.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not understand why I do this, but at times, I hit the side of my rib cage (with my hand) when I follow through the cue ball.

I do not understand why it happens.

Maybe because I am not holding the grip far enough back, or maybe because my stroke is just warped.

Have you ever had this happen, when you follow through the cue ball?

My stance (feet positioning) never felt completely comfortable either.

Does a players stance and foot positioning change, depending on what type of shot they need to shoot?

Hopefully these questions do not sound too stupid.

Thanks for any advice.

If you can play position, the majority of shots should allow you to keep the same stance on most shots.

I plan my patterns to keep my bridge length, stroke length, and shot speed pretty much the same. If I am doing everything correctly, my stance doesn't change too much, unless I get out of line or have to play position to a spot that doesn't allow me to keep my normal stance.

I think that is a lot of people's problem. They don't pay attention to what stance their position is going to leave them in. Then they have to be a contortionist or use the bridge all the time.

yankee817299

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Turning your back foot out further, almost perpendicular to the shot line, will clear the hips and torso.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A: Do you weigh over 300 pounds? This is normal.
B: If not then perhaps your stroking arm isn't hanging down straight but is more angled
towards your body.
I see this in A LOT of players.
Ask a friend to shoot a video of you shooting a few stun shots about with the cue and
object balls about 1 1/2 to 2 feet apart. That will expose it.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a valid question but without a video nobody can give you a good answer.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Weird, I try to hit my rib cage, that is my "finish" position. Thus, my body stops my cue, not my triceps. Also, keeps my grip nice and loose, as the cue stops on its "own", and you don't have to stop it or "pull back" like a lasso like many newer players do. Hits the same spot each time, and tip is down near or on the cloth. I'd say you might actually be doing things correctly, but we'd need a video, fully clothed of course, of you shooting ;)

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Weird, I try to hit my rib cage, that is my "finish" position. Thus, my body stops my cue, not my triceps. Also, keeps my grip nice and loose, as the cue stops on its "own", and you don't have to stop it or "pull back" like a lasso like many newer players do. Hits the same spot each time, and tip is down near or on the cloth. I'd say you might actually be doing things correctly, but we'd need a video, fully clothed of course, of you shooting ;)

Does he have a cue to play with?

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gosh, I hope so, if he's shooting without one and still hitting his ribs, he might have to be committed :eek:

Yeah, he's putting the "F" in SPF mechanics.

Maybe he's dropping his elbow or twisting off his line when he doesn't finish into the chest.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Yeah, he's putting the "F" in SPF mechanics.

Maybe he's dropping his elbow or twisting off his line when he doesn't finish into the chest.

Its very possible, and thus why I asked him that we need a video. Otherwise, he may or may not being doing it correctly. I don't know if he owns a Smart Phone though ;)

AngryTurtle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is what I do as well, :thumbup:

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was taught to finish this way also...one pro instructor I had said he talked to Mike Segal after a match once and ask him about this. He said Mike pulled up his shirt and showed him the red mark on his ribs where he finishes, and also told him that during some practices he would wear a pad under his shirt on that side to absorb the finish