Attachments

• Screenshot_20180827-112258_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20180827-112258_Strava.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 518

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok I will!

While riding you stopped to pee in the bushes and when you came out your bike was gone!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. His mental state impacts his game negatively.

Efren has been recognized as having incredible longevity. Playing at that high level at the age that he did.

I believe Earl could have done the same, maybe better - but so far he hasn't and isn't likely to. I don't attribute this to anything physical. All these contraptions he uses are in his head. It's his head game that's let him down. Not his arm. Even if he is suffering something physical, his stroke is still better than so many out there. In other words, he's got a "surplus" of stroke. It doesn't take that much stroke to win big.

But as you said, he can't let go. Once he is derailed, that's it. He can't let go like a pit bull on a pork chop won't let go. Fixated.

Doesn't matter. Earl does deserve a pass. He's earned it. No one will remember his antics recently. But they will remember his 5 time US Open wins and 3 time WPA wins....among all the others. He is the greatest 9 ball player of all time.

Besides, he does have an illness that he himself admits. While he shouldn't gain an advantage for that, pool world should be sympathetic. Unfortunately, the pool world is filled with scumbags.

Well said.

I have heard Earl, et al., say the one thing about jumping balls with a jump cue or full cue is that a player can make a good safety shot on another player, and when they jump the ball, it ruins that good safety play. That is one opinion about jump cues I've heard from several people who were in their prime before jumping balls became a way of life in the pool world.

Funny story. About 15 years ago, we were at Gene Hooker's Fast Eddie's Sports Club in Goldsboro, NC attending the Carolinas Open. The first night, the place was packed with players, standing room only. They even had reserved chairs there. Oh, my poor feet. I remember walking around the perimeter of the room like a refugee, never being able to sit down for long 16-hour days. :mad:

I was talking to Mike Gulyassy, just general chit-chat, and up walks Earl, with his cue case in tow. He had just finished practicing for the next day, which was the first day of the tournament. He begins a long tirade about how jump cues suck in professional pool, and I interrupted him and said, "Earl, this is Mike, who is the creater of the Gulyassy jump cue." :eek:

You should have seen Earl's facial expression change. Then there was a long pregnant pause while all three of us stood there with that deer-in-headlights look. The subject matter soon changed, and nothing else was said about jump cues. :D

By the way, at this tournament and another one in Atlantic City that I attended, Earl suffered horribly from kidney stones and was admitted in the hospital emergency room for treatment. The next day, Earl showed up for his matches in both tournaments, even though I know for a fact that he was in severe pain. :frown:

Two old-school players who didn't like the advent of the jump cue when it first came to the pool scene. ;)

Attachments

• Keith and Earl 2003 Carolinas Open.JPG
    Keith and Earl 2003 Carolinas Open.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 428

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Russ, the biggest change I've seen in Earl's game over the last ten years or so is that now he fails to get out quite frequently with open racks, either missing balls or getting way out of line, sometimes even hooking himself. He never strings racks anymore, like he used to do in his heyday. Bottom line, he is just not the player he once was, not even close. This has nothing to do with any rule changes and it has everything to do with his diminished skills. He went being from a dominant player to just another journeyman. I'm sure that may cause some frustration as well, knowing how vulnerable he is with every shortstop he comes up against.

I appreciate what you are saying Jay, but I think the part in red overstates the case. Here is Earl's record from January 2016 to now. He is performing at about 779-speed for this period. That is essentially US top 5 and almost world top 50.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 12.32.20 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 12.32.20 PM.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 402

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, they even caught the a-hole's behavior on video from the match:

https://www.facebook.com/100001863545081/videos/2302720923133337/

That is quite the professional. The best is the spineless ( I presume tournament director in the navy windbreaker?) who he keeps barking at to come over and shark the kid yet the guy does nothing about this fool's behavior.

Now lets see all his moronic defenders cry poor poor Earl :boring2::boring:

Ok. Just watched that video. Earl was out of line.

BUT (And this is a big one)

The competitors NEED to be protected by the event staff. You can't have spectators getting in player's faces and threatening to beat them up while they are competing.

The TD needs to handle this. Needs to calm Earl down if possible, start taking games, whatever. When the spectator comes in the TD needs to get between him and Earl and if that isn't enough he needs to get security there.

It's not just a moral question. If that spectator would have punched Earl and compromised his ability to earn a living through pool. Earl would possibly have a lawsuit for a lot of money. Against the event organizer.

Try going to a PGA event and crossing the rope to go get in Tiger's face. Or any players. See how many bruises you get, not to mention a little time in the clink to think it over.

Letting a spectator get in a player's face while he is competing is despicable.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Point taken. I personally think, though, that Earl failing to get out as frequently has a lot more to do with his poor mindset than his failing ability. I've watched matches where it is obvious his concentration is lacking, and he lets slightly poor position get in his head. Both of these things are mental issues, and not physical.

I agree with that assessment. I've watched so many of Earl's matches from decades ago to now- in my opinion he is the most enjoyable player to watch because I think he has the greatest natural ability of any player I've ever seen.

The main difference is his attitude. When he focuses and stops ranting left and right about everything he still plays very well- the problem is that he rarely does that now. It's almost like he sharks himself on a regular basis with all of his monologues.

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We don't know what it's like being Earl ....do we......but what the hell we are all the spitting image of sportmanship,perfection and fair play here right....

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I appreciate what you are saying Jay, but I think the part in red overstates the case. Here is Earl's record from January 2016 to now. He is performing at about 779-speed for this period. That is essentially US top 5 and almost world top 50.

Once upon a time Mike, Earl would be on the top of this list, not somewhere in the middle. Just looking at this from top to bottom, especially the 209 losses against lesser than "World Class" players, says a lot to me. Between fifteen and thirty years ago, I suspect the number of players at this level to win a match against Earl would be something like 10%, not the over 40% shown here. The only guys that ever beat Earl were Sigel, Hall, Varner and Efren. And I'm certain Earl had a winning record against all of them. Great players like Kim Davenport, Allen Hopkins, Steve Mizerak, Danny Medina and David Howard rarely, if ever, beat Earl.

Based only on my observations of how Earl has played the last five to ten years, I would say his game has slipped two speeds from his peak! Overall, you have him at about a .780 speed player. I would suggest to you that he played closer to a very high .800 speed in his prime and possibly over .900 overall. That's a drop of .100 points in his Fargo rating. I'm not sure how dramatic that is to you, but it represents a big decline to me.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We don't know what it's like being Earl ....do we......but what the hell we are all the spitting image of sportmanship,perfection and fair play here right....

As far as pool, few few no what it's like to be "anything" like Earl. Few have worked as hard and been so blessed with such abilities.

As far as his mental state, well, unfortunately that is the same case. Most have NO IDEA what it's like to have his condition AND FUNCTION NORMALLY in a private setting....... much less function on a WORLD STAGE.

I can relate because I happen to have a family member that suffers the very same illness.

ITS NO JOKE!!! it can and will destroy most that have it unless properly treated. Even then, it's an up hill battle.

For someone to be able to do what he does with his problems........ well, it's just mind boggling.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as pool, few few no what it's like to be "anything" like Earl. Few have worked as hard and been so blessed with such abilities.

As far as his mental state, well, unfortunately that is the same case. Most have NO IDEA what it's like to have his condition AND FUNCTION NORMALLY in a private setting....... much less function on a WORLD STAGE.

I can relate because I happen to have a family member that suffers the very same illness.

ITS NO JOKE!!! it can and will destroy most that have it unless properly treated. Even then, it's an up hill battle.

For someone to be able to do what he does with his problems........ well, it's just mind boggling.

Also:
EVERYONE that's on Earl's back in this thread:

All of you together couldn't carry Earl's jockstrap, much less play at his level while dealing with the chit he has felt and is STILL dealing with today.

Give me a break!!

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I've noticed that Earl is increasingly doing is raking racks- some with 5 or 6 balls left that are definitely not guaranteed runouts. In some matches he is essentially spotting his opponent 2 or 3 games in relatively short races.

JimGinPhx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl's behavior, in a lot of ways, mirrors Bobby Fischer's. Their both geniuses in their respective sport while dealing with inner demons.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
what does it mean that he "made a good hit and unsuccessfully pocketed a ball"?

I've seen Earl use a jump cue before and as you noted, he seemed reluctant but went ahead anyway.

My biggest issue is when a guy forfeits a match he is disregarding all who may have action on the match. It's grossly unfair to fans watching and anyone betting on it.

best,
brian kc

yep, it more impotent (the the side sweaters not being unraveled) than to have a legit set of rules and ref's in place to enforce those rules. kick on down the road.