is it considered rude to measure the contact point with my cue on every angle shot?

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is it considered a rude move to measure with my cue the contact point on angle shots? i do have reference points that i use to measure the cut angle on a angle shot, but if i use my cue to double check the angle that i want to shoot with, i almost get a second opinion to my self that i am picking the right spot to hit the cue ball.

i am trying to not use the cue to double check my line up, but if i dont double check with my cue, i will get a rattler, or a slight over or under cut and miss the shot.

using a touch of inside aiming system, im shooting well, but if i check BEFORE shooting by using my cue to find the contact point, i shoot much better.

BUT, im doing a lot of measuring with my cue to double check myself . is it bush league to do this, or it doesnt matter if im making my shots????

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
is it considered a rude move to measure with my cue the contact point on angle shots? i do have reference points that i use to measure the cut angle on a angle shot, but if i use my cue to double check the angle that i want to shoot with, i almost get a second opinion to my self that i am picking the right spot to hit the cue ball.

i am trying to not use the cue to double check my line up, but if i dont double check with my cue, i will get a rattler, or a slight over or under cut and miss the shot.

using a touch of inside aiming system, im shooting well, but if i check BEFORE shooting by using my cue to find the contact point, i shoot much better.

BUT, im doing a lot of measuring with my cue to double check myself . is it bush league to do this, or it doesnt matter if im making my shots????

As long as you don't use the cue as a measuring device, and it stays in your hand at all times, more power to you.

Many rulesets specifically outlaw laying the cue on the table to assist with aiming or measuring. If it is in your hand(s) then it is still a part of you.

Try to be respectful and move along, taking 40+ seconds per shot gets pretty ridiculous. Play better cueball if it is every shot.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nowadays it seems like slow play is more common than less so, especially with the popularity of leagues.
As long as you aren’t slowing down the pace of play doing some type of Ed Norton routine, then it’s okay.

In 14.1 competition, Rule 6.12 states “if a player uses his cue stick in order to align a shot by placing it on
the table without having a hand on the stick, it is a foul.” Rules 6.15 & 6.16 can also apply so do be careful.
6.15 covers slow play & sometimes there’s a shot clock. 6.16 includes the pace of play, i.e., delay of game.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
not rude.....annoying
you should try to do it less and less as you get more familiar with common cut angles
you dont see good players do it as a routine
only on the tougher shots or combos occasionally

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

Spend some time practicing with a reference system then you'll learn the angle and how to handle it.

Last edited:

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's most certainly rude to do it on every shot.

What do people get out of this on straight in shots? Is it possible that people who do this have never played a game or sport where a sphere of some sort has to deflect? It seems unnatural to me to use this method on simple shots, so much so that it seems like it would make things worse.

I really don't understand why people do this on shots that won't be multi-rail, but I've noticed that it seems oddly split into about 50/50 between people who do and do not use this method. Skill seems to have nothing to do with it nor the outcome, so could it be a left brain Vs. right brain situation? Lack of exposure to similar physics at younger ages? People who are or feel too short? People who are bad with projectiles in general?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd quit you after about 3 games of all that. Used to be a guy who came in the 'room that had this long, convoluted pre-shot routine. No one would play him. He got the drift and sped up.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do whatever it takes, to make the ball. Don’t let anybody buffalo you. It shouldn’t take more then a few seconds. Get familiar with it, develop a good rhythm.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ditch the TOI. That shit's been responsible for more Rattlers than the TN woodlands.

It is about as effective as new shoes making you run faster.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Not rude, and as long as you don't slow the game down by doing this, it's no problem at all. If you slow the game down, however, you'll find fewer and fewer willing practice partners, but it's for you to decide whether that's a price worth paying.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
not rude.....annoying
you should try to do it less and less as you get more familiar with common cut angles
you dont see good players do it as a routine
only on the tougher shots or combos occasionally

If folk get annoyed too bad, it what people do who are not human computers.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If folk get annoyed too bad, it what people do who are not human computers.

The problem with “too bad” is that, as others have said, you will likely find that it gets hard to find someone willing to play with you.

I’m in the “not rude, but annoying” camp. Less so if you’re quick enough that it doesn’t slow down the game.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As long as you don't over do it (every shot) it's not so bad. Don't listen to the "internet pros". The one thing you don't want to do is leave a chalk mark on the cloth where you'll be aiming.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is not rude...it is your method and if it works, use it. Since you have a system that works,when practicing, just try to become more proficient at it i.e., speed the process up.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone recall the Honeymooners with Jackie Gleason & Art Carney?

When I read this thread, I immediately thought of the scene when Ed
had to affix his signature to a document that Ralph needed signed. It
was a hysterical scene the way it played out with lots of animated,
exaggerated hand motion and swinging of hiis arms preparing to sign.

The imagery of Ed Norton playing pool with Ralph Cramden and using
this aiming technique and of course taking a long time measuring and
aiming and practice stroking only to repeat it all again at the last moment
before taking the actual shot, It could and would drive one crazy watching
your opponent do anything like this. If this was done on anything but the most
difficult of cut shots, then doing it would be excessive & extremely annoying....IMO.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... or it doesnt matter if im making my shots????
How long does each shot take? Most players have no idea how long their shots are taking without actually measuring or running up against a shot clock. Make a video of yourself and see how long a rack takes. You should be under 20 seconds per shot, on average, or your play will really bother some people.

Of course, when you get old and start to play one pocket, that's a different kettle of fish.:grin:

There was a guy where I played who had an elaborate angle measuring procedure on nearly every shot. He would put his stick down along the line where he wanted to drive the object ball, then he would measure with repeated hand spans the distance between the cue ball's line and the object ball's line at some point along the cue stick. With a little simple geometry, that distance tells you the cut angle as exactly as you did the measurement.

Everyone in the room knew the technique as his "itsy bitsy spider". If you don't know the moves for the nursery rhyme, here is an instructional movie: https://youtu.be/1MXzCD8IAcE?t=49 The motion starts 45 seconds into the amazingly sweet video.

Rude? Rude is when you bother other people. You need to ask your opponents, but you might find some are too polite to tell you and they just avoid you in the future. Try to pick up on their body language like a rolling of their eyes.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You Tube Comes To The Rescue Once Again.

Thanks Bob.....my memory didn’t recall the scene exactly as it played out but I remember the hand waving
and getting ready to write part which when I originally viewed found hysterical. It is like some players that
measure the shot from several different angles as they walk the table, sort of like pro golfers do on TV when
studying the putt from the front, the back, the sides, and then plumb bobbing the putt. One of the helpful changes
to pool is the use of a time clock. If you can’t pull the trigger in 30 seconds, then you really need to speed
up your pace of play. I can’t imagine taking longer than that and if you did, only another 5-10 seconds. It
is the agonizingly slow pace of play in APA, BCA and in house leagues that I cannot tolerate so I do not
participate, plus 7’ tables are for the youngsters. If it isn’t a 9’ or 10’ table, my desire to play pool plummets.