McDermott D19 Cue

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So a guy I know casually calls me to meet and play some 14.1 this morning. He shows up with his cue case and tells me he still plays with a cue he bought in the 80s- he is 77. he opens his case and out comes a beautiful McDermott D19 with 2 pristine shafts- the cue is in immaculate condition! It is also a custom job with mother of pearl notched diamonds and dots in the long points.

I never really paid much attention to this cue- but his was just outstanding. I attached images i found of a similar cue- he said that the mother of pearl additions were custom- but i also found the attached similar version of the D19 on an old e bay listing. Really nice cue!

Attachments

• McDermott-D19-Pool-Cue-Highly-Collectible-Rare-Cue-1-of-1-custom-order-LQQK-02-dxyx.jpg
    McDermott-D19-Pool-Cue-Highly-Collectible-Rare-Cue-1-of-1-custom-order-LQQK-02-dxyx.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 852
  • McDermott-D19-Pool-Cue-Highly-Collectible-Rare-Cue-1-of-1-custom-order-LQQK-03-qomu.jpg
    McDermott-D19-Pool-Cue-Highly-Collectible-Rare-Cue-1-of-1-custom-order-LQQK-03-qomu.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 770

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McDermott is still making fine Cues, they are just not Full Custom. Production Cues, of quality.

Once again you are incorrect. McDermott produces many fine cues and are open to discussing custom options. No they declined sharp points but offer many woods, inlays,wrap, weights and lengths.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
C & D series McDermott’s are great cues. The D-19 will always be a collectible cue. I think I might have one.

After the D series they kinda went more into “production” cues. The D-series is priduction but doesn’t feel that way.

Nice cue

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
C & D series McDermott’s are great cues. The D-19 will always be a collectible cue. I think I might have one.

After the D series they kinda went more into “production” cues. The D-series is priduction but doesn’t feel that way.

Nice cue

I have C-14 that is in mint condition and is one of the best cues I have owned. I bought it new. I recently turned down $1500 cash for it after a guy tried it and only hit a dozen balls.

I have had many similar offers.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=251123&highlight=mcdermott

Last edited:

dnbnt

Just a little "stituos"
Silver Member
I've played with a D-19 for about 20 years now. I bought a D-18 from a guy who had become disillusioned with pool and said, "I think I'm gonna sell this cue." I pulled a hundred dollar bill out of my wallet and said will this do. He said $125 and I bought it on the spot. 15 years later a guy at the bar keeps asking me to sell him the D-18 and I keep telling him $1000 cause I love the cue. After about 6 months he offers a trade of 2 C series McDermotts. I said I can only play with 1 cue at a time, so would like a 1 for 1 trade and he offers the D-19, which I snapped up and still play with today.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have C-14 that is in mint condition and is one of the best cues I have owned. I bought it new. I recently turned down $1500 cash for it after a guy tried it and only hit a dozen balls.

I have had many similar offers.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=251123&highlight=mcdermott

Wow they got expensive. I haven’t looked in a while at prices.

C-14 is a great cue, congrats!! I’d keep it too

I’m gonna have to dig around next trip to Vegas and look at my cues.

Best,
Fatboy

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The D Series were really fantastic cues when they came out. My first D-19 was a little odd looking and I talked to Jim Mcdermott about it
Two of the points that were opposite of each other were jet black ebony and the two other points opposite of each other were a
little browner in color, not jet black ebony, Mr. Mcdermott told me that some times when material was low, they would substitute
material on hand. I do forget the material used, but, no really noticed unless you looked up close at the cue.
The red stained original D-19's with a leather wrap really popped in my opinion.
Great Cue for sure.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The D Series were really fantastic cues when they came out. My first D-19 was a little odd looking and I talked to Jim Mcdermott about it
Two of the points that were opposite of each other were jet black ebony and the two other points opposite of each other were a
little browner in color, not jet black ebony, Mr. Mcdermott told me that some times when material was low, they would substitute
material on hand. I do forget the material used, but, no really noticed unless you looked up close at the cue.
The red stained original D-19's with a leather wrap really popped in my opinion.
Great Cue for sure.

D 19's have 6 points, I use one everyday as my player. I have the original shaft but I play with the G-Core I had made for it. I bought the cue used a few years ago and had it refinished and re-wrapped by McDermott, they are local to me.