Most balls on 10 ball break?

Sofla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't play 10 ball much, mainly playing 9 ball instead. Nor have I seen much pro tournament 10 ball for comparison.

I've recently started playing it more with a certain opponent.

The other day, I made four balls, including the 10, on the break. That's my personal record to date. Yesterday I snapped two 10s in a row, once with another ball, the other just the 10.

Table: Diamond Pro-Am, 4-1/2 inch standard pockets
Cloth: Simonis 860, semi-new condition
Balls: Super Aramiths
Rack: Standard Diamond rack, opponent racked
Break stick: Lucasi Big Buelah 2, 19 oz.
Break position: right side of the box

From what I've heard, 10s on the break are more rare than 9s in 9 ball, which are rare themselves. Is that true?

I'm suspecting a somewhat loose rack accounts for this number of makes, although my opponent says no.

What have you seen or done in 10 ball breaking, as to making balls in general, or making the 10 specifically? How common is that?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Shane reportedly made 7 on a 10b break a while back in a money match I think either in Taiwan or maybe Viet Nam.

And I believe Jayson Shaw has made 7 also.

Never heard of anyone else doing it, or making more than 7.

best,
brian kc

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
If only you could transfer your ability to break in the money ball to 9 Ball where it counted, you'd be a monster. :thumbup:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I've heard, 10s on the break are more rare than 9s in 9 ball, which are rare themselves. Is that true?

10 on break has to be more rare simply cos there are more balls in 10 ball LOL
probability of 10 ball is 1/10 while probability of 9 ball is 1/9
I am guessing:D

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Several months ago, Jayson Shaw made 7 balls on a 10 Ball break during a match at a Predator Tourney at Raxx.

-Steve

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Shane also made a couple of 6 ball breaks with a Magic Rack during his rout of Nikos in Greece.

I haven't seen video of a 7 yet but that's crazy. I bet you really have to lose the cueball to achieve that.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I forget which tournament it was, but I remember AlexP making 5 balls on the break and being hooked badly on the two-ball.

Sometimes you can't catch a break (excuse the pun).

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shane also made a couple of 6 ball breaks with a Magic Rack during his rout of Nikos in Greece. ...

Based on Pool-Trax stats for the match, neither player made more than 3 balls on the break except for one time by Shane, and that was 5.

Here's the distribution of the number of balls made by Shane on his 49 breaks:

• Dry -- 3 times (including one foul)
  • 1 ball -- 18 times (including two fouls)
  • 2 balls -- 20 times (including one foul)
  • 3 balls -- 7 times
  • 5 balls -- 1 time

Shane's average balls per break -- 1.7

And for Nikos on his 22 breaks:

• Dry -- 12
  • 1 ball -- 8
  • 2 balls --1
  • 3 balls -- 1

Nikos' avg. balls per break -- 0.6

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
I have made 4 on the break several times, and 5 once, but a 10 ball on the break is something else entirely.

For a 10 ball to find a pocket on the break WITHOUT being kicked in by another ball, means that you did not have a good rack... period. If you have a good rack, the ten ball does not move

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Based on Pool-Trax stats for the match, neither player made more than 3 balls on the break except for one time by Shane, and that was 5.

Here's the distribution of the number of balls made by Shane on his 49 breaks:

• Dry -- 3 times (including one foul)
  • 1 ball -- 18 times (including two fouls)
  • 2 balls -- 20 times (including one foul)
  • 3 balls -- 7 times
  • 5 balls -- 1 time

Shane's average balls per break -- 1.7

And for Nikos on his 22 breaks:

• Dry -- 12
  • 1 ball -- 8
  • 2 balls --1
  • 3 balls -- 1

Nikos' avg. balls per break -- 0.6

Oh hmm, I was pretty certain I saw 6 balls fall that drew impressive applause from the crowd and heard about another.

Thanks for the correction!

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I don't remember where I took the pic from (some AZB thread, where else) but here what it looked after SVB break. Seven balls down.

svb 10ball break.jpg

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Mike Dechaine 6 on the break & was hooked on the 3 ball when the dust settled. Tough to fade that

Sofla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have made 4 on the break several times, and 5 once, but a 10 ball on the break is something else entirely.

For a 10 ball to find a pocket on the break WITHOUT being kicked in by another ball, means that you did not have a good rack... period. If you have a good rack, the ten ball does not move

I have to admit I didn't exactly notice how those 10s went in, just seeing the last few seconds they traveled toward the pocket and fell. I'm fairly sure they were kicked in, after they were kicked out of the rack area. It's normal after my 10 ball break that more than half the balls remaining are back to the head half of the table, past the side pockets to the side I broke from.

I trust my opponent wasn't racking loose, but he might have been tilting the rack a bit, and maybe with some regularity.

Sofla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane reportedly made 7 on a 10b break a while back in a money match I think either in Taiwan or maybe Viet Nam.

And I believe Jayson Shaw has made 7 also.

Never heard of anyone else doing it, or making more than 7.

best,
brian kc

I knew if I could get 4, the monster breakers out there had to have done much more. But seven balls on the break is even more awesome than I could have imagined! Astonishing!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I broke a 10 ball rack so hard that all 10 balls went in. The cue ball jumped in the air and bounced off the side cushion on to another table and broke a 10 ball rack there and made only 5 on that table due to losing some speed.
Record is 15.
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I broke a 10 ball rack so hard that all 10 balls went in. The cue ball jumped in the air and bounced off the side cushion on to another table and broke a 10 ball rack there and made only 5 on that table due to losing some speed.
Record is 15.
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Yeah, but on the second table, the pockets were buckets.