How much of a cueball is useable normally?

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand it will depend on speed, but for a normal shot (not slow roll or break), how much can be used, say on a stop shot of 10 feet, with bare minimum speed at the lowest possible contact point on the cue ball? 70%?

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
What does that even mean? Useable cueball?

I tell people to visualize the Cue Ball like a Clock with 12 Hour Marker from 12 moving clock wise to 11.

So I am say 12, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and last 11. Also visualize DEAD CENTER where the Clock Hand Attach.

Then I mention 1/2 Cue Tip out of Center has 12 Contact Points, then I mention 1 Full TIP out of Center is another 12 Contact Points, last position is 1-1/2 Cut Tips out, another 12 Contacts Point out of Dead Center.

Long & Short is 37 TOTAL CONTACTS POINTS.

Most beginners get the idea, but I also tell then to start out small, it's tought at first to hit all 37 POINTS.

Dead Cener, 3, 6, 9, and 12 is tought at first. CENTER, HIGH, RIGHT, BOTTON, and last LEFT.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I understand asking how much of the ob we actually use or have available to use on any certain shot, because that changes as the cb gets closer to the ob. But how much cb is used.....?

I agree with HawaiianEye -- all of it. I also agree with CocoboloCowboy, good info.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tell people to visualize the Cue Ball like a Clock with 12 Hour Marker from 12 moving clock wise to 11.

So I am say 12, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and last 11. Also visualize DEAD CENTER where the Clock Hand Attach.

Then I mention 1/2 Cue Tip out of Center has 12 Contact Points, then I mention 1 Full TIP out of Center is another 12 Contact Points, last position is 1-1/2 Cut Tips out, another 12 Contacts Point out of Dead Center.

Long & Short is 37 TOTAL CONTACTS POINTS.

Most beginners get the idea, but I also tell then to start out small, it's tought at first to hit all 37 POINTS.

Dead Cener, 3, 6, 9, and 12 is tought at first. CENTER, HIGH, RIGHT, BOTTON, and last LEFT.

Not sure what a cut tip is, but thank you. As I understand this, you're saying normally 1.5 tips? So, on a 13mm tip it would be 19.5mm? What I mean is that a cueball is roughly 28.575mm in diameter, but no one is typically shooting on the outermost most millimeter, I'm not even sure that's possible without jumping the ball and using a 1mm tip, so there has to be a percentage. However, from what you're writing that suggests it's 68.2%, so sounds good. Thank you.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I use the whole thing. I chipped one in a bar once, but it was still about 93% whole.

this question is answered with practice. shoot to miscue, then keep doing it until you don't. I can draw the ball the length of the table twice up and down. it never works in game play and its just to feel cool about it, lol. but I learned by fuching up a lot. Valentino rossi crashed on his own more than any other racer in history, until he didn't. get it?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not so sure about Massey. I think he could draw a hockey puck! ;)
I used to have a recurring dream where the pool balls were shaped like hockey pucks. I could draw them but I don't remember how.

Bob <-- used to be able to draw my puck

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
But seriously, folks. If the OP meant how far from center you can hit, the answer is that the tip can contact the ball about half way from center to edge. The exact distance depends a little on the quality of the chalk and the tip. As Mike Page illustrated in a YouTube video, the more accurate your delivery, the farther out your safe region will extend.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand it will depend on speed, but for a normal shot (not slow roll or break), how much can be used, say on a stop shot of 10 feet, with bare minimum speed at the lowest possible contact point on the cue ball? 70%?
Just curious how you have a 10 foot stop shot? Only possible if you are playing on a 10 foot table, both the cue ball and object ball are at opposite diagonal corners, almost at the drop off points!

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Mike Massey master pool tech / guru :smile:

For sure, I saw a video of him stacking balls once.

I tried for decades. He did a demo at the pool room, and stacked it first try.

I went crazy. Starting trying again but could never get it.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Not sure what a cut tip is, but thank you. As I understand this, you're saying normally 1.5 tips? So, on a 13mm tip it would be 19.5mm? What I mean is that a cueball is roughly 28.575mm in diameter, but no one is typically shooting on the outermost most millimeter, I'm not even sure that's possible without jumping the ball and using a 1mm tip, so there has to be a percentage. However, from what you're writing that suggests it's 68.2%, so sounds good. Thank you.

28.575? That's half the diameter, unless it's a really small cb.

Anyway, when talking about contact points, it's the circumference/equator of the ball that gets used, not the diameter. And the closer the balls are to each other the less amount of the circumference there is to use. For example, when the cb is touching the ob there is only about 1mm of cb and ob being used. With a ball distance between the balls there's 60mm (33%) of cb and ob surface available for use, as far as contact points go. When there's 4 feet between cb and ob, there's 88mm (49%) available to use on each ball.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I used to have a recurring dream where the pool balls were shaped like hockey pucks. I could draw them but I don't remember how.

Bob <-- used to be able to draw my puck

Lol. I've actually used hockey pucks to show how aiming pool shots has nothing to do with spherical shapes, other than the fact that being spheres makes them move easier (roll).

Last edited: