Why the new 1 pocket rule of ball made on break, re-rack at Derby City?

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a 1 pocket fan so I really don't follow the progression of the rules, but I see that at the next Derby City....

"If a ball is made on the break, re-rack."

Why would this be?

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
The break is already an advantage. The break plus a ball plus more balls they will probably make skews the game too much.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I'm not a 1 pocket fan so I really don't follow the progression of the rules, but I see that at the next Derby City....

"If a ball is made on the break, re-rack."

Why would this be?

If you rack for yourself, a very subtle tilt can guarantee a pocketed ball.

This rule ensures that the opening break is always defensive

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Corey Deuel 8ball break seemed to be not just pattsrn racking, but also about oockecting corner ball in what would be his pocket in one pocket.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Over the years I have occasionally seen this claim made -- that you can tilt the rack to make a ball on the break -- but it is not so.

Rack your own has been the general rule for quite some time and making a ball on the break is still relatively rare.

Now, as to the re-rack rule, I believe the reason for it is that if a ball is made on the break it's pretty much game over. The shooter is either going to keep running balls and/or put balls in front of his hole while burying the CB and putting their opponent in a death trap. It's just too big an advantage, particularly when the DCC matches are a short race to three.

So maybe if you're gambling, and plan to be in a long session, you're OK with the original rule. But from what I've seen, guys seem to prefer the re-rack rule.

Lou Figueroa

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One year, I watched Jayson Shaw use the traditional break, pocket a ball, and run 8. I think the tournament wants to make sure this cannot happen. Races to 3 are short, and if a guy happens to break and run, the break is too big of an advantage.

kollegedave

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Over the years I have occasionally seen this claim made -- that you can tilt the rack to make a ball on the break -- but it is not so.

Rack your own has been the general rule for quite some time and making a ball on the break is still relatively rare.

Now, as to the re-rack rule, I believe the reason for it is that if a ball is made on the break it's pretty much game over. The shooter is either going to keep running balls and/or put balls in front of his hole while burying the CB and putting their opponent in a death trap. It's just too big an advantage, particularly when the DCC matches are a short race to three.

So maybe if you're gambling, and plan to be in a long session, you're OK with the original rule. But from what I've seen, guys seem to prefer the re-rack rule.

Lou Figueroa

Lou's got the whole truth and nothing but the truth here.

It raises an interesting academic question: I wonder what the ball equivalent would be to spotting a guy the break AND the next turn after the break every game. If you could give a guy that spot and break even, could you spot him 10-6 with conventional alternate break?

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Website called "The Billiard Corner" has a video called "Corey's Secret 8 Ball Break" in which corner ball is made every time.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou's got the whole truth and nothing but the truth here.

It raises an interesting academic question: I wonder what the ball equivalent would be to spotting a guy the break AND the next turn after the break every game. If you could give a guy that spot and break even, could you spot him 10-6 with conventional alternate break?

Don't know.

Lou Figueroa
wouldn't want
to try and find out
either :-o

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He made a ball on the break, it happens.

BUT you can tell by the little hand gesture he made that he was probably surprised. IOWs he wasn't trying any special racking technique.

I have seen a ball go on the break during a gambling session three times in a row. It's really no different than a coin flip that turns up heads or tails several times. It does not mean any purposeful skullduggery, it's just how the balls are racking. And what I have found to be an easy fix, when that happens, is to just rub the cloth in the rack area a little and that will usually put an end to that.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Website called "The Billiard Corner" has a video called "Corey's Secret 8 Ball Break" in which corner ball is made every time.

lol, if you advertise that you think you can do that, like CD, and use a blast them open 8ball break playing 1pocket, for money, I have no doubt you will immediately have tons of action available.

Interestingly, not even CD uses that break playing 1pocket.

Lou Figueroa
just sayin'

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I don't think that Brandon making a ball on the break was due to a tilted rack. The way to increase your odds of making a ball on the break is exactly how Brandon hit it. If you hit a little of the head-ball first and then the second ball is how you can increase your chances of making the corner ball on the break -- and that is exactly how that rack was hit.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The dead ball on the one pocket break is due to the rack/balls/table, just like the dead 9 ball on a 9 ball break is due to the same. Making it re-rack or doesn't count (in both games), solves most of those issues.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you racked the balls and broke 10 times with your very subtle tilt how many times would you expect to pocket a ball in your pocket?

"guarantee" is fairly definitive but wondering what you would realistically expect.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Show me! Please! I've been trying for years and can't do it regularly. Or at all really.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think that Brandon making a ball on the break was due to a tilted rack. The way to increase your odds of making a ball on the break is exactly how Brandon hit it. If you hit a little of the head-ball first and then the second ball is how you can increase your chances of making the corner ball on the break -- and that is exactly how that rack was hit.

Ok but something is tilted. The table the rack the camera my screen or my eyes. And rodney made him rerack once. Something was tilted both times. I think. But that’s why i posted this.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Would prefer option.

I think the BCAPL eight ball break rule would work more fairly.

I would prefer that the breaker have the option to spot the made ball up and relinquish the table as is.The option would give him a slight reward for making a ball in his pocket.