Racking

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem with the magic rack is it creates a "dead ball" in the corner pocket. It's more like a trick shot than a break shot.

Racking the 9-Ball on the spot would stop much of this nonsense about racking.

Good idea, Shaw at Turning Stone had it down pat using lots of left and making it come back into the rack. His breaks were going in like lasers same pocket most times. Nine ball is getting boring. Ban the break cue and jump cue. But that is big business now so it will never happen,

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The advantage of the breaker shouldn't be more than a percentage or two.

I like what Pat did where there was a mandatory roll out after the break. This is a good start, however, it still leaves some issues when producing a TV show. I've studied how entertainment effects human nature, and if there isn't an emotional attachment, the viewer averages 3 minutes before changing channels.

From our research only 1% of the general public would watch pool on TV, and even that 1% will probably average 3-5 minutes. This does present a production problem and to pursue outside the industry sponsors would be fruitless.

I presume people may watch longer on the web streamed matches, however, that doesn't do much for the game's growth and long-term vitality.

The game we have developed covers these issues, however, as you know "the knockers," won't like it no matter what. The true pool enthusiasts are in for a treat, because if all they've seen is "one-foul" it's only about 10-20% of the game's potential.

Before the Pool God's go changing things let's have a clock. Again some of the matches at Turning Stone were painfully slow. Then there are the lint cleaners. Wonder why Billiards is not progressing on TV? Thanks to streaming it has another lifeline. For tournaments dress code and clock at least!!

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, thats the way it was intended to be, and still should be. Pool isnt supposed to be setting up a cluster trick shot to start each game. With every "advancement" pool has had over the last several years, the game has suffered, and now its to the point where the game at the pro level is pretty much a joke. When racking and reracking takes longer than running a rack of 9 ball, something is wrong. Everybody keeps thinking of ways to change the rules or come up with new games to supposedly make it harder, all the while creating money making opportunities with "new and/or improved" equipment. News flash, the game WAS harder with slower cloth, no jump sticks or other various gimmicky equipment. Rules used to favor a strong offense and now the rules favor safety play.
With all these steps we have supposedly taken forward, it sure seems like the game has taken a giant leaps backwards when you compare the game of 25+ years ago to today. Shortsighted progress usually turns out to not be progress in the long run.
Rant over
Chuck

Totally agree. Slower cloths would bring back more english play therefore more knowledge using it. No gloves, break or jump cues. 1 cue per game and no extensions. Use bridge. Not a hell of a lot of talent needed now. Just a good set of nerves. I would be willing to bet there are dozens of better players out there but their not in tournaments. They are making real money. These Pros are just chasing dreams.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why? The whole point of lagging it to decide who will get to break the first rack. So you are saying that I have to use SKILL to win the lag, so I can have a chance at being LUCKY on the break... What a crock of sh*t.

The magic rack speeds up the entire process, even if that means a ball is wired every time.

I like Chuck's idea of pushing the rack back a half diamond or whole diamond.

big difference running 6 balls compare to 8 or 9 more congested. Try some 9 ball on a 7ft table.

rocket23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Racking over and over at the opponents request is slowing good streaming matches down. 1 re rack if an opponent racks type tournament is enough.

Last weekend's matches hosted by AZB and NY City Grind was hard to watch some matches. Constant re racking., Although the finals I believe had no re racks needed.

the touney i joined , we rack our own breaks.....kinda takes the gentlemans agreement out of it , but......Ya wont get a softy out of it, and if ya do...it's your own fault...

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The game we have developed covers these issues, however, as you know "the knockers," won't like it no matter what. The true pool enthusiasts are in for a treat, because if all they've seen is "one-foul" it's only about 10-20% of the game's potential.

I hope you have the good sense NOT to roll this thing out until you have done a long and extensive trial in some quiet obscure place where your game has proven steady growth, proven interest, and proven staying power. You can easily blow any credibility that you may have.

People like what they like and don't like what they don't like. Often there is no rhyme or reason. Players rule.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
This process will take 3 months, rather than 3 days

I hope you have the good sense NOT to roll this thing out until you have done a long and extensive trial in some quiet obscure place where your game has proven steady growth, proven interest, and proven staying power. You can easily blow any credibility that you may have.

People like what they like and don't like what they don't like. Often there is no rhyme or reason. Players rule.

I've done several Grand Openings in the nightclub business, it's similar. We always do a "soft" opening, with friends and family first. The next night we make it invitational, and then we open up the doors to the public, although we don't advertise until 3 weeks later.

This process will take 3 months, rather than 3 days regarding this particular situation.

DunnM1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I would like to see is after the break, either player must push. Let's see who the best player is not just the best breaker!

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally agree. Slower cloths would bring back more english play therefore more knowledge using it. No gloves, break or jump cues. 1 cue per game and no extensions. Use bridge. Not a hell of a lot of talent needed now. Just a good set of nerves. I would be willing to bet there are dozens of better players out there but their not in tournaments. They are making real money. These Pros are just chasing dreams.

WTF? how the hell gloves affect anything at game? lol
you just want guys who have sweaty hands not be able to perform?
better than who? Shaw, Morra and Mika? lol

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WTF? how the hell gloves affect anything at game? lol
you just want guys who have sweaty hands not be able to perform?
better than who? Shaw, Morra and Mika? lol

Heck Pro's of past era's would clean the clocks of these so called Pro's w/o all the equipment they bring to the table. It takes em 20 min to pack up junk after playing. As far as gloves are concerned they could spray hand with deodorant. That's why there was powder in pool halls.

I would hate to see manufacturers take a hit on such a poorly placed Sport. Learn to dicker w/o cursing.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
the ball-in-hand rule must be neutralized or it makes the game too easy

Ah. We have been rackin 9-ball on spot probably 8 years now at every tournament here in Finland. I did not remember there U.S your tournaments are always different rules.. :wink:
Some tournaments also have that kitchen rule also..

You guys are definitely on the right track, the ball-in-hand rule must be neutralized or it makes the game too easy for advanced players.

Taking the spot-shot out of pool was a step in the wrong direction for the Pro Players.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys are definitely on the right track, the ball-in-hand rule must be neutralized or it makes the game too easy for advanced players.

Taking the spot-shot out of pool was a step in the wrong direction for the Pro Players.

putting the ball below string line after opponent fouls is not fair to the person that didn't foul! It's not the rule that made 9 ball too easy it's the jump ball, the jump cue, the break cue allowed. The game is boring now, don't need to be Pro to run 6-7 well spread balls on a 9 ft. table. At least in 8 and 10 ball there's more traffic to deal with. 9 ball killed coverage on major networks. Boring.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
We have a long list of strengths and weaknesses of the game

putting the ball below string line after opponent fouls is not fair to the person that didn't foul! It's not the rule that made 9 ball too easy it's the jump ball, the jump cue, the break cue allowed. The game is boring now, don't need to be Pro to run 6-7 well spread balls on a 9 ft. table. At least in 8 and 10 ball there's more traffic to deal with. 9 ball killed coverage on major networks. Boring.

It's not fair to bet ball-in-hand behind the line? That's a pretty big advantage, however ball-in-hand anywhere is basically loss of game. This is too strong of a penalty for any first foul.

You're right about the jump cue and racking/breaking reference. We have a long list of strengths and weaknesses of the game, these are just a few. It took many years to develop a Game that moved all the weaknesses to the strength column.