Nashville Pool Room - Early 70s

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone remember a pool room in Nashville called "21st Century Billiards" (I think)?

It was on the 2nd floor; can't remember what was under it. It may have been off 21st Street, so maybe the name had to do with that. That would make more sense.

I'm trying to remember the name of a guy from whom I took my first "real" lessons. It would have been around '71 or '72 and I was just getting out of high school. He was probably 70 at the time and was still capable of 7-9 points in an inning of 3 Cushion. Seems like he knew Hoppe or played with him - been too long ago.

I can't remember why, but I decided I wanted to understand billiards and found him and took lessons for a while. He had a whole instructional course put together in a small, 3-Ring binder. (Millennials might need to find a museum to picture that.)

Wish I could remember his name. Those few lessons raised the level of my game quite a bit at the time. He said my stroke and fundamentals were sound, so we could focus more on strategy and playing.

If anyone has a memory about this, I'd love to hear it.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do remember it. I played there a number of times. I also remember what business was downstairs. Of all thing, it was Paul Scofield Photography (my name has an "h"). The best player from Nashville was a player nicknamed "Bingo". I have no idea what his real name was. I did book some nice winners out of there.