Was Rempe and Varner better All-Around Players than Sigel, Strickland, and Archer?

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not really true about Sigel, considering Sigel was the best 14.1 and 9-ball player at the same time. Sigel also won one pocket tournaments.

Definitely as talented, and they *are* celebrated. Both are in the Hall of Fame. Rempe may have the longest undefeated streak in tournament 9-ball play. Nick had the greatest two year professional stint and has won world championships in 5 disciplines. I think they're just old and retired, so they don't get celebrated today. Efren gets celebrated since he's still playing.

Always a tough debate, especially since so few watched both. I know Jean ended up playing men's tournaments and cashed in 5 out of 6 events she played. That's good for anyone. And she had solid wins over Keith, Buddy, Lebron in their prime.

To quote Robin Dodson, back when she was asked about the endless debate of Jean vs Allison:

"Ok now I put myself out on the line, my opinion. If Allison would have come during Jean's time, my vote would have been for Jean hands down!"

I asked for clarification on Prime Jean vs Prime Allison, to which she confirmed. Prime Jean over Prime Allison.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/rec.sport.billiard/ZG_nFuhPqrA/XIFEqtvhlr8J

All just opinions. Jean has been nothing but humble when asked this question.

Freddie <~~~ go Jean!!!!!
Yes Sir. When it came to 14.1 and 9Ball, Sigel was the best period. But Rempe, Varner and Hopkins were pretty fair players. Anyone lucky enough to have been at the Roosevelt in '92 can testify to Sigel's 14.1 game--a thing of beauty and just lethal. But like Freddy said Rempe and a string of 9Ball wins in the early 70's which prompted the name KIng James. And Varners run in '89 may never be matched. And he also banked like a God. Hopkins won major titles in 9Ball, 14.1 and One Pocket. Very smart player. If only Early had discovered 14.1 earlier in his career who knows? But after that major in 1992 at the Roosevelt not many major tournements for almost a decade.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Keep in mind, Varner in his prime, went to the Philippines and played Efren in his prime and beat em on his home court. Never heard of ANY other player on the planet EVER went to the Phillipines to play him that I know of and beat em. :)

Varner in his prime was probably thee best all around player of all time. The KY Colonel had ZERO rattle, and the tougher the game the tougher he played. He was a good listener and was taught by Hubert Cokes in the 70's then Hal Nix.

Nicky never did drugs and he was never a big drinker....only drug problem he ever had was Cigarettes, and he finally quit that.

From a friend of mine...straight from Efren.
Efren felt that Sigel was the best American player....
...but he said if he had to choose one guy to play one game for all his money....
...he’d choose Varner

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fair enough, like I said, I only saw Siming play a rack or two, ,I am going on other peoples views, who should know.
I looked at their Fargorates and it seems odd, that there are 13 Chinese women
rated higher than Allison.
So how does the Fargo rate differ between men and women? Or does it?
If a man is 760 and a woman is 760 do they play equal?
[/https://youtu.be/_BtjTu-E9dU
https://youtu.be/Y3ShoYIyqAY

So according to Fargo rate Siming plays even with Corey Duell.
I watched some more of her matches , against Allison and Donny Mills.
I don't see how she plays as good as Corey with that break.
I know the guy in the video said she must do something much better than Corey to make up for it
????
I doubt she has a better imagination, I doubt she has a better stroke, I doubt she pockets balls that much better, if any , so where is it ?
You can't put racks together without a great break.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Earl came in after 14.1 was dying.

His high run is over 400 balls, I think he would have been competitive. :grin:

No argument there, but banks and one pocket, Varner has waaay the edge.

Also....Earl played Efren a race to 100 and lost.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
So according to Fargo rate Siming plays even with Corey Duell.
I watched some more of her matches , against Allison and Donny Mills.
I don't see how she plays as good as Corey with that break.
I know the guy in the video said she must do something much better than Corey to make up for it
????
I doubt she has a better imagination, I doubt she has a better stroke, I doubt she pockets balls that much better, if any , so where is it ?
You can't put racks together without a great break.

Some of the events that the results form the foundation of fargo rate are alternate break

JimJones1

Registered
I think that all these players deserve recognition, I know that Jim Rempe played fantastic pool. I ran into him when I was like 17 played my first Joss Open. I won a rack off him at the beginning of the set and he said something nasty to me for no reason he knew I was outmatched. He won but lost all my respect. I learned early Pro doesn't mean Professional.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I think that all these players deserve recognition, I know that Jim Rempe played fantastic pool. I ran into him when I was like 17 played my first Joss Open. I won a rack off him at the beginning of the set and he said something nasty to me for no reason he knew I was outmatched. He won but lost all my respect. I learned early Pro doesn't mean Professional.

I've also learned in life, there's two sides to every story. Thx for your story.

LeftyIke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s just that you too cavalierly dismiss Crimes against Humanity. That’s why Jewish people, Native Americans, and Oriental people don’t let you forget what was done to them. It was a Holocaust, and has to be remembered and acknowledged. I’m glad that humanity finally kicked in, to the benefit of all, and Efren, Parica, Wu, Chang, Bugs, Alex P., Murphy, Ko, etc... enriched the game, which allowed us to enjoy many Styles and Great play and competition.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member

Look. When a seasoned pro plays an amateur, and the amateur wins too many games, I have NO doubt that the pro might start talking trash. It's happened to me. In fact, it can be expected.

_______

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Id like to point out that in the history of the game, tho proprietors and tournaments may have been privy to exclude blacks.......this was not the case when speaking about the players themselves......even the great Ralph Greenleaf was known to go and play the black champions and didn't always win.....so imop the game itself meaning the balls the table and the players, has always been come one come all.

You I and the fly on the wall all know it would eat a player alive to know that he or she ducked someone based on their skin color or the ways of the times kept them out of playing you for the crown....personally i'd have to search out such a person and test my trophy to prove its validity....is that not why we all play? To be the best.

Hell to this very dam day there are places whites dont go and blacks wont go...the normal ones meaning folks just looking to drink and such.......you put a cue in their hand and they come to compete interracially....and that story changes and a aura of respect for the fellow gunslinger testing his merit welcomes the other......i and many others can attest to personally witnessing that.

By the way Rempe won 23 tournaments in a row by the way. That is pretty unbelievable. He was also the one who brought back the artistic shot of jumping the ball into a "boot" from europe back when....except the way he learned it was into a clog lol.

imop rempe and billy had hof fros for whiteboys lmao

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should have won

This happens a lot, just say I know you are a much better player than me
and I have been extremely lucky, if by some miracle I should win I will forfeit
the match I think that is only fair. Then if you win say, 'I changed my mind".
One time there was this pretty good player from Houston in town (Dallas)
and Dean said lets take a shot at him, play him some. I won the first set
and he quit, but in a short while he wants to play another. I won that one
and he's huffed up and says "you slowed played me'. So I say in a pretty
loud voice "don't give me that crap, you've been FAST PLAYING me all night
and everyone knows it". Well he just stood there looking at me blinking his
eyes not knowing what to think. Tell them something that they least
expect, play with their little minds.
jack

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
yes alot depends on the game and the rules, but hard for me to believe she could consistently compete with the top group of men, especially in winner break

as for Jean its a different era with much deeper pool of women players, if she had those around in her day it would have brought her game up close to theirs but i think she gets beat by the top few in today's game

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look. When a seasoned pro plays an amateur, and the amateur wins too many games, I have NO doubt that the pro might start talking trash. It's happened to me. In fact, it can be expected.

_______

Yup.
I played Grady Mathews a game of straight pool and smoked him.
Being a respectful gentleman his trash talk was polite,but i got the point.
I almost said if you didn't miss so much you would have won.
But having a lot of respect for him I didnt.

raistlinsdragon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes alot depends on the game and the rules, but hard for me to believe she could consistently compete with the top group of men, especially in winner break

as for Jean its a different era with much deeper pool of women players, if she had those around in her day it would have brought her game up close to theirs but i think she gets beat by the top few in today's game

Jean played 6 male tourneys and cashed in 5 of them. Maybe the best match up would be Siming and Jean.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nick varner was the best pool player alive for a long time
in my opinion

almost every game

i heard he beat efren over there

i used to love it when players sharked jack

he took that as a sign of weakness then he would start that crazy talking and i raked in the dough

he did however put me in right field and cost the team a game

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jean played 6 male tourneys and cashed in 5 of them. Maybe the best match up would be Siming and Jean.

As much as I like Siming's game, Jean was still the best female 14.1 player of all time imo. I wouldn't like Siming's chances in that game with Jean, but at Rotation games she is probably a superior player, although Jean seemed able to elevate her game when necessary. She had wins over several top speed players including Buddy Hall and Keith McCready. Lou Butera withdrew from a tournament rather than play Jean.