Poolhall in New Orleans is now open.

I just recently learned of a pool hall in New Orleans, that I was not aware of, in the past 9 months that I have lived here, and they very recently opened back up, and allow people to shoot pool, with limited capacity (with 25% of their pool tables being open to play on, I assume)

https://www.facebook.com/shamrockparty/

The area that it is located in (in MID-CITY) does not feel very safe, and the place seemed like kind of a dive, in my opinion, because the tables did not appear to be in very good condition, and the place just did not look very nice (in my opinion).

Anyways, it appears to be the only pool hall that is currently open in the entire metro area, where you can go to shoot some pool.

I was only in there for a few minutes, to check out my new cue, a few days ago, and they claim to have 28 tables, but maybe because the place was so dark, and the lights turned out on many of the tables, it did not appear to have that many tables. I did see many 9 foot tables though.

They have pretty strict rules for entering the pool hall / bar, and that is that you must sign in when you enter, show a valid ID, and sign out when you leave. You must wear a mask (unless eating or drinking), and you are not allowed to interact with anyone inside the bar, unless they were with you when you came in. And you must remain 6 feet apart from people in the bar.

Anyways, it seems to be the only current option, if you want to shoot some pool in the New Orleans area.

Lacy's Cue, Buffalos Billiards, and all other pool halls in the area are closed, but Lacy's Cue, and Buffalos Billiards is open for their Restaurant (but you can't play pool).

The thing that I do not understand is, if Shamrock is allowed to open their pool hall, with limited capacity, then why are other pool halls in the area not allowing people to shoot pool with limited capacity? Makes no sense to me why this Shamrock bar is the only one that is doing this.

From what I have been told, the Governor of LA is not allowing any stand up activities, like shooting pool for example, so maybe Shamrock bar is breaking the law? I do not know.

Just wish that Buffalos would reopen their tables in the same way.

Even more shocking, is that it was the owner of Buffalos Billiards (James Leone, who I follow, because I love to read his posts), who posted about Shamrock now being open to shoot pool, on his facebook page, so I do not get why he is not able to do the same thing.

Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just recently learned of a pool hall in New Orleans, that I was not aware of, in the past 9 months that I have lived here, and they very recently opened back up, and allow people to shoot pool, with limited capacity (with 25% of their pool tables being open to play on, I assume)

The area that it is located in (in MID-CITY) does not feel very safe, and the place seemed like kind of a dive, in my opinion, because the tables did not appear to be in very good condition, and the place just did not look very nice (in my opinion).

Anyways, it appears to be the only pool hall that is currently open in the entire metro area, where you can go to shoot some pool.

I was only in there for a few minutes, to check out my new cue, a few days ago, and they claim to have 28 tables, but maybe because the place was so dark, and the lights turned out on many of the tables, it did not appear to have that many tables. I did see many 9 foot tables though.

They have pretty strict rules for entering the pool hall / bar, and that is that you must sign in when you enter, show a valid ID, and sign out when you leave. You must wear a mask (unless eating or drinking), and you are not allowed to interact with anyone inside the bar, unless they were with you when you came in. And you must remain 6 feet apart from people in the bar.

Anyways, it seems to be the only current option, if you want to shoot some pool in the New Orleans area.

Lacy's Cue, Buffalos Billiards, and all other pool halls in the area are closed, but Lacy's Cue, and Buffalos Billiards is open for their Restaurant (but you can't play pool).

The thing that I do not understand is, if Shamrock is allowed to open their pool hall, with limited capacity, then why are other pool halls in the area not allowing people to shoot pool with limited capacity? Makes no sense to me why this Shamrock bar is the only one that is doing this.

From what I have been told, the Governor of LA is not allowing any stand up activities, like shooting pool for example, so maybe Shamrock bar is breaking the law? I do not know.

Even more shocking, is that it was the owner of Buffalos Billiards (James Leone, who I follow, because I love to read his posts), who posted about Shamrock now being open to shoot pool, on his facebook page, so I do not get why he is not able to do the same thing.

I’ve never heard of Shamrock.

Drove by Buffalo’s yesterday evening and there were plenty of cars in the parking lot and a few people outside hanging out.

jensen_lover

Pro Playa'
Silver Member

Shamrock is more of a bar with pool tables than a pool hall. They are all eight footers I believe. It is an awesome place to go, they have pool, ping pong, darts, miniature bowling, video games, and a bar. I guess they can open because they are mainly a bar, and Buff's is mainly a pool hall. I lived in New Orleans until this time last year. I live in Baton Rouge now and played at the Londoner Saturday, which is also a bar/restaurant that has three crappy tables. But Bayou Billiards is still closed.

Shamrock is more of a bar with pool tables than a pool hall. They are all eight footers I believe. It is an awesome place to go, they have pool, ping pong, darts, miniature bowling, video games, and a bar. I guess they can open because they are mainly a bar, and Buff's is mainly a pool hall. I lived in New Orleans until this time last year. I live in Baton Rouge now and played at the Londoner Saturday, which is also a bar/restaurant that has three crappy tables. But Bayou Billiards is still closed.

Okay, I understand now. Still odd that they are the only bar with pool tables in the area that is allowing their customers to play pool. There are other bars with pool tables, and they tell me their pool tables are closed to the public. That area of MID-CITY, where Shamrocks is located, just kind of scares me.

The owner of Buffalos is saying that he will probably be able to open the pool hall to the public, and go back to 24 hours again, on June 5th.

I’ve never heard of Shamrock.

Drove by Buffalo’s yesterday evening and there were plenty of cars in the parking lot and a few people outside hanging out.

That is nice to hear.

I see that Tony Chohan is their new house pro.

I never understood what "house pro" even means.

Does it mean that the "house pro" is a paid employee of the pool room, and may give lessons? I do not know.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is nice to hear.

I see that Tony Chohan is their new house pro.

I never understood what "house pro" even means.

Does it mean that the "house pro" is a paid employee of the pool room, and may give lessons? I do not know.

my guess is there is some financial reason for him to stay there
and
if you want him you know where you can find him

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know about the place

It would be hard to get a place more low dive appearing than Buffalo's place on Airline. Great tables, Buff and his staff all good people, rough area of town, been rough for over fifty years. The building was low ceilinged and rundown, the parts Buff couldn't put a shine on. He worked like hell to keep it clean and respectable. I saw things start sideways twice in the years I went there. Both times a fellow named Hu was involved! That joint let him recover from Katrina and get in the nice place he has now which still isn't the creme de la creme location.

Even places that appear rough are rarely as rough as they appear to be. You go in, mind your manners, stay out of other people's business, and usually you are cool. Maybe some people that hang there can chime in. Never know, it could be unhealthy!

Dang, I just noticed the date. Time flies even when you are not having fun! I think I would wait a week and see what happens with Buff's. The place to play pool on that side of town. Never been to Lacy's but understand that it is very nice. Different sections, technically different towns.

Hu

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Makes no sense to me why this Shamrock bar is the only one that is doing this.
I similarly wonder why not all doctors allow their covid-19 patients being treated in the emergency room to practice buddy breathing with random strangers brought in from the street.

Last edited: