Owning Cues Over $1000? Is there a big risk of getting it stolen?

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought a Pat Diveney cue used. New I bet it was worth around $3000 brand new. I have never owned a expensive cue and have always shot with a cue that cost about 400.00. Is it a good idea to use a cue this expensive in a public pool hall.

I only bought it for the playability as I have heard they have a nice hit. Maybe there is a way to make it look like a less expensive cue somehow.

Thanks for the replies.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought a Pat Diveney cue used. New I bet it was worth around $3000 brand new. I have never owned a expensive cue and have always shot with a cue that cost about 400.00. Is it a good idea to use a cue this expensive in a public pool hall.

I only bought it for the playability as I have heard they have a nice hit. Maybe there is a way to make it look like a less expensive cue somehow.

Thanks for the replies.

The stolen part is a given. The risk is the guy might only get a couple hundred for it.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Play with it anywhere and enjoy it. Just remember the two magic words, “Concealed Carry” :D

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I just posted about cue insurance via an Inland Marine Rider in the Columbus/Flying Cues Thread. Talk to your insurance company -- cheap peace of mind.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I don't think the cost of the cue matters. If a thief sees an opportunity it doesn't matter. Especially if they aren't pool players, they have no idea what's valuable or not.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almost every cue I have is worth more than $1000 and I have always taken them to bars and pool halls.

I just keep an eye on them or have someone else keep an eye on them if I have to be away from them for a bit.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are careless with anything of value, you are going to risk losing it.

Two questions need answering. What is being careless & value amount.

So if you leave a handsome or valuable cue unattended, it will walk off.
It’s only a matter of time because larceny is in the hearts of way too many.

You have to judge the risks if you walk away from your cue and it does not
remain in reasonable sight distance where you could react if anyone picked
it up even just to examine it. That’s a no no. You never pick up someone else’s
cue unless you and the owner are pals and even then some folks are still fussy.

How much is true value of the cue, what’s it really worth? Only the owner can
answer whether there is any amount they felt comfortable risking. $3k cue......
you are out of your mind not to always keep it in your sight, or the sight of your
friends after asking them to watch it if you had to step away or else take it with
you even to the bathroom. Don’t invite a problem by being naive it will still be
there when you return. Sooner or later it won’t so exercise caution, that’s all.

There are 6 cues in my case so my case & playing cue always remain in plain sight.
If I play in a new town, I don’t take all my cues and use either a 2x4 or 3x7 Instroke.
You have to use common sense but if it’s always in the back of your mind, don’t do it.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I'm confused.

You bought it for the playability as you heard they have a nice hit.

It was bought sight unseen, and you didn't hit a ball with it?

Thanks for the replies.

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm confused.

You bought it for the playability as you heard they have a nice hit.

It was bought sight unseen, and you didn't hit a ball with it?

That's right totally unseen. Never hit a ball with it. I't has nice inlay work although maybe I could could put a decal off a cheap cue on it or something so it does not appear expensive or something.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The notion that someone would steal a person's Cue from a Pool Bar, or Pool Room is not an idea, it is something that I bet happens one time a week some place in the USA. Hell people try and steal cheap Cues, so why would they ignor any Cue not being attended too? Thieve wait for opportunity.

Serveral years ago a local Pool & Dart Supply store in Phoenix had a guy come in and steal in the middle of the day. One of those rotating 20+ Cue Locking Display Cases. Guy lifted it off counter & ran out to a waiting vehicle before anyone knew it happened, and the shop was in the RED, 15K+++.

Few of the Cue were recovered when someone call the Cops on person peddling a few of the stolen Cues in a Locasl Sport Bar with a lot of Pool Tables. Peddlers story was he bought the Cue off an unknown person, who he met in a dark alley, off Craig's List Ad. Roy Malot would call this guy a true trunk merchant.

Recovered Cues went back to rightful owner, peddler walked. What happen to thre U recovered Cue is unknown.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
What state are you in, and what makes you think or wonder if it might get taken?

That's right totally unseen. Never hit a ball with it. I't has nice inlay work although maybe I could could put a decal off a cheap cue on it or something so it does not appear expensive or something.

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What state are you in, and what makes you think or wonder if it might get taken?

You just never know. I've always been told to keep an eye on my cue by friends etc. I actually have never had anything stolen from me in my life thank god.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely everything is at risk if you take your eyes off it. Doesn't matter what it is. Could be a pencil worn down to 2 inches. Someone will grab it.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
anything of value can get stolen if left out of sight in a public place. you wouldnt leave your wallet on the chair or your car keys would you.
my cue goes with me wherever i am in the pool room unless its a place where i absolutely trust everyone in it

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cues are usually in only one of three places - right?- where you play, in your car, in your home. Where you play it is with you always unless you go to the bathroom ( that is when most cues are stolen)- so just take it in there with you- who cares, except you; in your car, if you HAVE to leave it unattended- locked in your trunk, under a blanket with the trunk also secured by the trunk safety switch activated inside your LOCKED glovebox. In your home, esp if you own multiple custom cues, home alarm system( that you always activate when away) and a basic ( $150) gun safe bolted to a wall inside one of your closets.

These are all basic safety precautions for valuables in this day and age. of course, where possible, you should be in possession of a concealed weapon for personal safety and nighttime trips through the parking lots. Don't count on anyone but yourself to protect yourself and your property.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies.

As others have already told you on here, any cue can get stolen! It's as simple as that. I can't tell you how many times a poolplayer has asked me to "watch" his cue while he's in the restroom and I have done the same thing.

I've had a cue that I paid $5 for stolen from me in a bar in Richmond, Indiana, and I've had my Ginacue stolen from the truck of my car when it was taken for a joyride by a couple of kids. I got the car back but not the cue. The lesson there was that I should never have left the cue in the car.

I've been in a money game with people watching and left my cue on the table in front of them, and went to the restroom between games. When I came back a couple of minutes later it was gone and no one saw anything. I looked around and some guy was playing with my cue a couple of tables over. I went over and asked him to give me back my cue and he appeared surprised, telling me he thought it was a "house" cue for anyone to use.

Use your new cue and enjoy it. That's why you bought it. But heed the advice you are getting on here! It could be gone in a moment if you don't.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
When I came back a couple of minutes later it was gone and no one saw anything. I looked around and some guy was playing with my cue a couple of tables over. I went over and asked him to give me back my cue and he appeared surprised, telling me he thought it was a "house" cue for anyone to use.

If someone needs solid training on caring for their cue in public, they should buy a sneaky pete first and get some experience. :thumbup2:

terpdad

Registered
I doubt most thieves know the value of cues in a room. Maybe if you were in a league, talked to people about it, etc., but overall I think the odds of it being stolen are the same as your current cue. You'll just be out more money if it happens.