WWYD - Getting on 2 ball

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WWYD: playing the ghost, BIH on the 1. I'm trying to get to the other side of the 2 to shoot the 2 in the same corner I'm standing over.

I tried getting position about 10 times, various speeds, spins, thickness of hit, and could not get it. Do you think this shot is possible? The best I can see upon viewing the video is to actually go 2 rails and bump the 2 on purpose. I was trying to stop short of it. What say you? Can this position route i was attempting be obtained? Do you see any other paths? The combo on the 7 didn't look good to me.

Video (3 min):
https://youtu.be/LXdGxMGq27I

Screenshot:
Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 2.15.25 PM.jpg

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Not really that difficult if you have your speed and touch working well. You need to have the cue ball come down table between the six and nine balls with a little left spin so that the cue spins off the bottom rail under the two. If you normally can do this and today it's just not working, you're just having an "off" day, if this is new to you, practice until it becomes second nature.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Not really that difficult if you have your speed and touch working well. You need to have the cue ball come down table between the six and nine balls with a little left spin so that the cue spins off the bottom rail under the two. If you normally can do this and today it's just not working, you're just having an "off" day, if this is new to you, practice until it becomes second nature.

I don't think I would try to go between the 6 and 9. I would spin off that first cushion down table staying above the 9, to the end cushion, then over to the side cushion to play the 2 in the far corner.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
I don't think I would try to go between the 6 and 9. I would spin off that first cushion down table staying above the 9, to the end cushion, then over to the side cushion to play the 2 in the far corner.

Can certainly work either way...for me going between the balls and using less spin would probably work better. Either way works.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing to keep in mind if you are going to shoot something repeatedly to try and get a result is that it's important to put the ball back exactly. You weren't being very precise with the placement of the OB.
That said, I think your choice of route is correct. Largest margin of error and speed control is reasonable. Laying up somewhere near the second diamond as you originally planned is the best choice.
I wouldn't consider going into and bumping the 2 as that requires more speed and the 8 ball becomes absolutely huge.
Try this--- Set the balls up exactly as they were at 1st then move the CB forward 2 inches and one inch to the right. See if that works out a little better.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
First of all, I would shoot the 2-7 combo. If you had to get that position, it would help for the cue to have more spin when hitting the last rail. That requires more stun and in turn, more difficult speed control so the trade-off is not so great. I think coming inside the 9 might be a safer angle. It is a very difficult shot however you play it. There is probably a better strategy or safety option to look for. Keep practicing. The more you struggle with it the more you will know it might not be the best option and if you absloutely do have to shoot it, you will have a good reference point from all of the practice.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would place the cue ball within an inch or two of the 1-ball, at the correct cut angle with left outside spin to go side rail, traveling behind the nine ball, off the end rail center diamond, ending up near the opposite side rail for a shot on the two ball down the rail to the corner.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I'd split the wickets and take the path between the 9 and 6. Top side of the nine is totally doable but you do ru the risk of rolling up behind the 8. However, let's be honest here. The path between the 9 and 6 is very close to the natural sewer when spinning off that 1 ball. ..and we've all know how to hit that sewer shot.

As far as speed goes. Play a little heavy for the second rail. Don't purposely go for the 3rd. You run the risk of over running it that way. Better to be short than long.

FWIW.... i avoid combos whenever possible. Failing of my game to be honest. I prefer to avoid exponents of difficulty

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need to hit higher and go under the 9.

You were sloppy about ball placement and failed to analyze what was happening. Same effort same results.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Lol... thats funny. I didn't watch the video before my previous post. You did exactly what I thought would happen playing topside of 9... (the snooker with the 8)

Did you ever try the route between the 9 and 6...?

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m sure the shot is possible but it takes very accurate speed and spin to go around the nine. I think going between the 6 and 9 gives more opportunity for success. Brushing the 9 on the inside probably still gives a shot at the 2. The only trouble is hitting the 7 in a way to scratch or jaw in that corner behind the 7.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i havent read the other replies
only 2 ways i sefirst way you have to get real close to the 9 or else you run into the 8 or 2
second way i prefer...icbw
shape on the 2.jpg

shape on the 2 b.jpg

Last edited:

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
The 2-7 combo isn't close to on, and you'd lose the 2.

First of all, I would shoot the 2-7 combo. If you had to get that position, it would help for the cue to have more spin when hitting the last rail. That requires more stun and in turn, more difficult speed control so the trade-off is not so great. I think coming inside the 9 might be a safer angle. It is a very difficult shot however you play it. There is probably a better strategy or safety option to look for. Keep practicing. The more you struggle with it the more you will know it might not be the best option and if you absloutely do have to shoot it, you will have a good reference point from all of the practice.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
At my level I would pot the 1, go one rail and try to billiard off the 2 to pot the 7. I'm a novice at 9 ball so take that with a grain of salt. EDIT: I'd also probably lose but again, novice at 9 ball, in a game I'd probably try a safety.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Just got home and set up the shot... Standing over it at the table, splitting the 9 and 6 is the "most" correct option imo...

..and yes I got on the 2 ball on the first attempt :wink:. Not "world beater" shape, but managed the long rail shot on the 2.

In this situation I highly doubt I'd ever go for the combo.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some responses:

The path I chose (around the 9) the spin was about dying when it got to the second rail, so it wouldn't open up enough off the end rail to get good on the 2. When I hit it hard enough to maintain the spin off that rail, it was too much speed and it would hit the 2.

If I try this route again, I think I have to get as close as possible to the 9 ball, like within 1 ball diameter, to have a chance to get straight on the 2.

The path suggested on the other side of the 9, I had not considered. Good idea, I will try that. Although the hitting the 9 or scratching does look big.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
The 2-7 combo isn't close to on, and you'd lose the 2.
On that table, its a bit difficult, but manageable if you get very good shape on it to just play the 2 off the rail first follow forward a bit and make shape in the top left. It might even be the shot if you on a table with buckets. On a tight pocket table, no way that is a good shot. That said, unless it was a very big pocket table, I prefer playing short side to the 2.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yup. that's the play.
Nice and soft.
Let the English do the work.
Not a tough shot.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The path I chose (around the 9) the spin was about dying when it got to the second rail
Getting around the 9 can be done with a little side spin (by caroming wider off the 1) or a lot (by following a little more steeply into the first rail and juicing it). Looks to me like you could juice it enough to get over to the 2. I'll have to try it to see how reliable it is.

pj
chgo