Photographing Pool Cues?

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am trying to photograph my pool cues to send to the cue maker via e-mail. I keep getting a reflection of the light in the room or from the camera that distorts the photos. Can you give me some pointers on taking good quality photos? Thanks

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Either try bouncing your flash off of the ceiling or figure out a way to diffuse the light, ie light box, tissue paper, diffuser.

bflgvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tenting???

Has anybody tried using a "tent" to shoot cue photos? But yes natural lighting and a macro lens work very well. The alternatives would be bouncing the flash(indoors) or diffusing it(indoors or out). I don't like a busy background at all. If the background is busy then open your lens as much as you can, but beware that your depth of field will diminish.

Gerry S

Jack Justis

CASEMAKER
Silver Member
Natural lighting is hard to beat.

Yes, but choosing overcast days even makes it better. If you use any of the point and shoot cameras set at "P" with spot metering, expose for the highlights and let the shadows fall where they may. This lets you use any background (I like black) without over or under exposing the subject. This is one of the simplest methods to follow for consistently good results and many novice photographers fail to use it.