how often the CB stop frozen to OB in a professional match

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
I am trying to find some reputable video evidences that the ref will rule a "normal stroke" towards the OB as a legal shot where the effective rule permits it.

I have never seen it happen in a match before. But I think there must have been rulings, and the majority of them should be legal according to Mike and Bob, right?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I am trying to find some reputable video evidences that the ref will rule a "normal stroke" towards the OB as a legal shot where the effective rule permits it.

I have never seen it happen in a match before. But I think there must have been rulings, and the majority of them should be legal according to Mike and Bob, right?

Guess that depends on WHICH Mike and Bob you're talking about.

Good luck in your search!!!

Maniac (obviously not the Golics)

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
Guess that depends on WHICH Mike and Bob you're talking about.

Good luck in your search!!!

Maniac (obviously not the Golics)

Mike Page and Bob Jewett had some post years ago stating effectively that it is indeed hard to archieve a foul (double hit or push shot) using a normal stroke towards the frozen OB.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem with finding that is even though the pros know they can, they usually play a thin safe because rarely do the balls freeze AND are makeable.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All the serious players, and all the referees, know this rule. But it's seldom going to come up for the reason Luxury pointed out. If it ever did, no one would be surprised by the rule.

I think you'd have a harder time with the ruling on a fouette shot (even if it's a good hit). I don't know if I'd try that in a match due to the confusion it may cause.

Fouette shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqg5ZJyD0G4

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The shot tends to come up more at 14.1 and one pocket than at nine ball. If you do end up frozen to a ball at nine ball, it's likely not the right one. When playing a series of safeties near the rack, freezing is fairly common.

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
I pocketed a ball with a frozen CB the other day playing 1P.It is pretty rare that you get an angle to shoot at a pocket with a frozen CB but the the CB does freeze to an OB fairly often playing 1 hole.

I find that most peeps understand the rule and I just point out that it is frozen before I shoot.

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
Thanks, everyone. What I wanted were some proof to settle an arguement in which I stated such shots are legal in most cases regardless of cutting angle. Now I understand the reason why such kind of proof was so rare.

Nevertheless, assured that most players and refs have the same understanding of the rule is good enough for me.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I thought I remembered one example but as I look at it again, the shooter is shooting basically 45 degrees away from the ball and not straight into it. Still a cool shot if you wanna see.

http://propoolvideo.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=129&Itemid=27

Around the 25 minute mark, Hohman had fallen too straight on a break shot, blasted it, and ended up frozen at the top of the rack, nestled into the slot at the head spot. Possibly frozen to two balls. He lines up at an angle and blasts away to sink a dead one.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought I remembered one example but as I look at it again, the shooter is shooting basically 45 degrees away from the ball and not straight into it. Still a cool shot if you wanna see.

http://propoolvideo.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=129&Itemid=27

Around the 25 minute mark, Hohman had fallen too straight on a break shot, blasted it, and ended up frozen at the top of the rack, nestled into the slot at the head spot. Possibly frozen to two balls. He lines up at an angle and blasts away to sink a dead one.
It's not clear that he was frozen to either ball. I don't think that any ball was declared frozen and if they're not declared, they're not frozen. I think he could have gotten the action he did without a frozen ball or a double hit.