Get position on 5

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tough shot for me. Can';t draw it back up and top english sticks to short object rail if hit too hard. Only way for me is to hit short on left long rail with right. Tough getting QB up past middle table.

Attachments

• Tough position shot.jpg
    Tough position shot.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 803

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go rail first (long rail) with right hand middle ball spin. You will end up by the middle diamond across from the 5 ball.

Best,
Mike

James2003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tough shot for me. Can';t draw it back up and top english sticks to short object rail if hit too hard. Only way for me is to hit short on left long rail with right. Tough getting QB up past middle table.

Cue ball rail first lef of the one. then cue banks two rails down to the 5

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without really seeing it on a table, my first instinct would be to kick it in off the rail and then go 2 or 3 rails around to the right. There is a scratch line in this direction (the side and the corner pocket if you miss the side pocket and get unlucky), but if I feel comfortable with the table speed and my stroke, that is what I'm going for usually.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 great answers! :thumbup: Another way is to hit the right side of the 1 ball with right spin and don't scratch in the side pocket as you go past it.

Best,
Mike

The Kiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rail first RH english hit it slow enough for spin to take. If you want to get fancy RH english rail first with an elevated slight masse stroke

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Firm stun with lots of right (outside) english. It's almost impossible to scratch in the center with heavy english. There's no karate chop effect as no topspin on the CB.

If you stun through a little too much, you might scratch in the corner.

That said, I'd draw it on a fast table.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may be the way to go. If I use too much top right it will deaden off short rail. Sometimes a ball 3 inches from pocket can't be gotten to by glancing off side rail. So more center right should work. Thanks for answers.

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depending on how exactly the 1 is sitting, you might also be able to hit the short rail to the right of the 1 first loaded up with inside. There's practically no chance of a scratch and it's hard not to get a good shot on the 5. This same shot came up for me last night and that's how I played it, just for fun. I normally would've played it one of the other ways suggested, but rail first with inside worked just as good.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member

Cut the 1 thin with inside/draw . CB will come straight Back down the the table.
Not a lot of inside and not a lot of draw.

Last edited:

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cut the 1 thin with inside/draw . CB will come straight Back down the the table.

This is actually the most reliable way to get position. The only draw-back is, the further away you are from the 1, the harder it may be to judge. Given the distance and lack of obstacles in the original post, I would be inclined to go rail-first too BUT rail-first can be a sloppy route and cutting the 1 thinly will be far easier to control, especially if there's traffic to contend with.

super6

Registered
From the looks of your layout I would play rail first to the left of the 1 ball with right hand english. Cue ball will go, if you count all the rails after pocketing the , 3 rails for shape on the 5. I play this shot all the time.

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I always end up hitting this shot too full on the object ball and the cue ball sits on the rail. Unless the next ball is on the short rail near the opposite pocket on the same end of the table... in that case my attempt to hit it full enough to kill the cue ball will instead cut it razor thin to send the cue ball down table. I'm secretly terrible at pool, but the secret's getting out!

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

This is the way I would look to do it if the point of the pocket can be avoided. Those video pockets look huge.

Many mess up this shot by hitting high on the cue but that makes the ball sit . Hitting it with low is rolling spin as it comes off the short rail.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
This is actually the most reliable way to get position. The only draw-back is, the further away you are from the 1, the harder it may be to judge. Given the distance and lack of obstacles in the original post, I would be inclined to go rail-first too BUT rail-first can be a sloppy route and cutting the 1 thinly will be far easier to control, especially if there's traffic to contend with.

I can remember hitting this shot wrong more than right. The rail first is a little hard for me to hit consistent . It's easy to catch the ball too thick or thin coming off the rail at that distance

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Skim the ride hand side of the 1 ball thin with center or a little bit of left. Come back up 1 rail.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The trick to getting distance off hangers is to hit them thin. You are cheating the pocket.

This one I would hit thin with center right, medium speed, getting enough spin to catch 3 rails. If the OB is too deep and you can't do that, then it becomes a rail first shot. Even rail first shots have to be aimed properly, because you are still catching the OB ball thin or full, one side or the other, and it definitely affects the cue ball path.

Last edited: