Mosconin stance

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His stance though hard to tell looks more perpendicular to cue and shooting arm not in preferred 90 degree angle of today. Any thoughts? Did he use a slip stroke? Most pros today are clones except for some head placement differences.

Attachments

• mosconi stance.JPG
    mosconi stance.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,178

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
He is most definitely a more upright player. As far as the 90 degree arm, it does look like his arm is bent at 90 degrees between the upper and lower arm, or close to it. I think the important thing as far as angle goes is that your arm hangs straight down at ball address for a pendulum stroke to maintain a level cue as much as possible.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
A lot of the old school straight pool players were a little more upright and held the cue forward of perpendicular. They weren't moving the ball any further than necessary. Seemed like the closer they were to their work, the shorter the bridge, yet they always seemed to choke up on the grip a little... Don't think Willie used a slip stroke, at least not the pronounced one Cisero Murphy used...maybe just a touch of slip (TOS)? ;):D:D

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His stance though hard to tell looks more perpendicular to cue and shooting arm not in preferred 90 degree angle of today. Any thoughts? Did he use a slip stroke? Most pros today are clones except for some head placement differences.

If you are asking what I think you are asking:

( "perpendicular to cue and shooting arm not in preferred 90 degree angle of today")

could you perhaps clarify what that means?

Mosconi's advice was your forearm should be perpendicular to the bed of the table
at the end of your BACKSTROKE, which results in it being well forward of
perpendicular when you hit the cueball.

Slipstroke?

The other guy in your picture had one of the sweetest slipstrokes ever. Mosconi,
however, did not play with a slipstroke, tho lots of people who should know better
want to think he did.

If you do a search about Willie and slipstroke you will find enough vigerous
discussion to keep you reading for a day or two.

Dale

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Understanding how to utilize the cue's balance point is critical

Mosconi's technical attribute was how he positions his hand forward towards the balance point of his cue. Understanding how to utilize the cue's balance point is critical to playing at the upper levels of competition.

The cue is designed perfectly to transfer energy from the hand to the tip, which, in turn, allows the player to move the cue-ball effortlessly.....if the body's working synergistically with the cue, this is "the difference that makes the difference".

Fine tuning the stroking mechanics has advantages as far as the Kinesiology of his stroke.....which translates to accuracy and precision in his position play and shot-making ability.

Many players can improve 10-20% just by improving what they're doing in their stroke, stance and wrist motion. These things are not natural to the human body and must be learned, practiced and utilized on a consistent basis to master.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played Mosconi a straight pool exhibition in 1964 and it was a while ago but I do not remember him using a slip stroke.
I sand bagged it so he would look good :grin:
An upright stance helps when playing straight pool. Most of the game is played on half the table with the balls close together. It's easier to see the little paths to slip the cue ball through when need if you are more upright. And easier to see what angle is needed on each shot .

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://vimeo.com/4957545

One of the better videos featuring Mosconi. He did use a slip stroke on some shots. As for his stance, see for yourself. It appears he didn't bend his knees much which probably works better for a man of his short stature.

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't compare my fundamentals to legends like him. He has a God given ability I don't have. Lol willie hoppe played side arm... Ain't no one teaching that to a new player ! Lol

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
What I find interesting, is his feet are semi-pidgeon toed, very similar to Greenleafs foot work....not even close to a snooker stance.

GoldenFlash

Banned
I played him also.

Mosconi played a half table game...straight pool. That stance works fine in that game, in my opinion
He didn't have those long cuts like the Scott Frosts of today are faced with and certainly not like the British snooker players or the Filipinos.
He didn't have to bend over and "draw a bead" like they do.
And he didn't have to drive that cue ball around the table like modern 9 ball players have to do...so he just tippy toed around the half table....while wiping the floor with the opponent.
I played him once in the early 60's when a Brunswick bowling alley was adding pool tables to the place and he was here for an exhibition. We played straight pool to 50 points with a bet for a Coca-Cola.
I won the toss and he made a lousy break, leaving me a dead one in the stack. I drilled it and ran 7, then tried to play "safe".
He too found a dead one and blew the remaining balls wide open and proceeded to run 50 and out while I sat on the bar stool like a little mouse.
He was surly, grouchy, whining constantly about everything in sight, talking constantly on my few little shots (he went into orbit when I gave it back to him on a shot and said....."don't dog it, you're the big wheel")
I did not like him.
His mechanics were like a machine and he stayed in that half upright stance while beating me like a drum.....I never had a prayer.
That's my only contact with Mosconi.
He was a helluva player, though.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is most definitely a more upright player. As far as the 90 degree arm, it does look like his arm is bent at 90 degrees between the upper and lower arm, or close to it. I think the important thing as far as angle goes is that your arm hangs straight down at ball address for a pendulum stroke to maintain a level cue as much as possible.

You related to the Dude's that built the Leaning Tower of Pisa?

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
The problem with this video is that it was taken 30 years and two strokes/heart attacks past his prime.

There are not many videos of him playing in his prime.

I know for myself my stance has changed a bit more upright in 30 years, because I have grown wider instead of taller.

https://vimeo.com/4957545

One of the better videos featuring Mosconi. He did use a slip stroke on some shots. As for his stance, see for yourself. It appears he didn't bend his knees much which probably works better for a man of his short stature.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi played a half table game...straight pool. That stance works fine in that game, in my opinion
He didn't have those long cuts like the Scott Frosts of today are faced with and certainly not like the British snooker players or the Filipinos.
And he didn't have to drive that cue ball around the table like modern 9 ball players have to do...so he just tippy toed around the half table....while wiping the floor with the opponent.
I played him once in the early 60's when a Brunswick bowling alley was adding pool tables to the place and he was here for an exhibition. We played straight pool to 50 points with a bet for a Coca-Cola.
I won the toss and he made a lousy break, leaving me a dead one in the stack. I drilled it and ran 7, then tried to play "safe".
He too found a dead one and blew the remaining balls wide open and proceeded to run 50 and out while I sat on the bar stool like a little mouse.
He was surly, grouchy, whining constantly about everything in sight, talking constantly on my few little shots (he went into orbit when I gave it back to him on a shot and said....."don't dog it, you're the big wheel")
I did not like him.
His mechanics were like a machine and he stayed in that half upright stance while beating me like a drum.....I never had a prayer.

Fine story. I envy you big time.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't compare my fundamentals to legends like him. He has a God given ability I don't have. Lol willie hoppe played side arm... Ain't no one teaching that to a new player ! Lol

True words. Today the Sport is producing clones but some clones suffer because their natural ability would work better. However if a never have played player, it would take a hell of a lot longer finding a decent skill level then would several lessons from a Pro. I would imagine Mosconi was clumsy at one point early into pool before he established repidity.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
rooming with a player for ONE tournament would you pick Mosconi or Strickland?

I did not like him.

Willie made an appearance at the pool room I was co-owner in called Champs in Dallas. He was losing his mental falcuties at the time so I tried not to notice his "grumpiness"......after all, pool is enough to drive anyone insane. ;)

So, GoldenFlash, if you {only} had a choice between being friends and rooming with a player for ONE tournament would you pick Mosconi or Strickland?

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Willie made an appearance at the pool room I was co-owner in called Champs in Dallas. He was losing his mental falcuties at the time so I tried not to notice his "grumpiness"......after all, pool is enough to drive anyone insane. ;)

So, GoldenFlash, if you {only} had a choice between being friends and rooming with a player for ONE tournament would you pick Mosconi or Strickland?

I would take Strickland just for the entertainment value.