FARGO Ratings

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone else having issues with Fargo Ratings? I have lost over half the people on my favorites list and I cannot find my own rating at the moment... :frown:

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone else having issues with Fargo Ratings? I have lost over half the people on my favorites list and I cannot find my own rating at the moment... :frown:

We are merging players from different databases and adding many new players and matches (we've added over a million games in the last few weeks). Along the way there will be a lot of this along with players that have multiple records. There is just no fast and easy way to get this done.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope you'll trust are a number of people working very hard on this.

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are merging players from different databases and adding many new players and matches (we've added over a million games in the last few weeks). Along the way there will be a lot of this along with players that have multiple records. There is just no fast and easy way to get this done.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope you'll trust are a number of people working very hard on this.

Thanks for the update Mike. I had an idea that this was what was going on. Thanks for everything you are doing. I really believe that FARGO ratings will benefit our sport a great deal for years to come!

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike are you getting data from the APA? The reason why I asked is that I searched for my name and was surprised that I was in the database. I have never played in a legit BCA league. I didn't have a rating but I was in the database.

Edited to add: I think this is a good thing that you are doing.

Last edited:

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Mark --

I invite you to email me at mpage@fargorate.com if you want me to look into some of these individuals specifically.

For here, though, I will explain why there is sometimes a difference between fairmatch.fargorate.com and playcsipool.com.

We use the number of games that contribute to the rating (what we call the robustness) as a measure of the reliability of the rating, and we have chosen a robustness of 200 as indicating an "established" rating. Established ratings are the same on our site and the CSI site.

Ratings based on only a few games are volatile and often unreliable. We display them anyway on our site (in a different color, to indicate they are preliminary) Note the first guy, with only 44 games and the second guy with over 400 games.

Players with no games or with some games but not enough to be established will play at nationals with an "effective Fargo Rating." This is a weighted average of the emerging Fargo Rating (ours) and a starter rating that is based on the old open, advanced, etc classification.

In general 200 is enough games to get a reliable rating. But Fargo Ratings work by assessing your performance against opponents of known rating. So in some cases a player might have 200 games but the majority of them are against opponents who themselves only have a few games in the system. The interesting thing here, is the rating of the first player will get more reliable in time even without playing more. That is because as the former opponents play more, FargoRate does some great Monday-morning-quarterbacking---it gets better at interpreting the past games.

More data is always better...

Attachments

• 2016-01-23 13_33_24-FargoRate - FairMatch.png
    2016-01-23 13_33_24-FargoRate - FairMatch.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,210

DunnM1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trying to look up my rating and my wife's. (Dunn, Michael, Grove City, Oh) and (Dunn, Shannon, Frove City, Oh) and I get nothing.

DunnM1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How come I can not see those. I tried Dunn, Mi and Dunn, Sh and I do not ring them up at all. What am I doing wrong?

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where did the information come from for the players who have never played BCA or a major tourney other than US Amatuer Championships.

I'm just curious.

RSCA HOOLIGAN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have a rating that is 10 points less then Danny Mastermaker and he is twice as good as me .

So if i'm coming all the way from Europe and i have to play in the masters division i will be playing 2 matches ! 1 on the winners side and 1 on the losers side and bye bye .
Where the hell did i get 672 points ???

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Where are you searching? I see no search function on the FargoRate site.

Google Fairmatch.com Enter the requested information. Once joined, you just type in your name or that of another player and the information will post.

Lyn

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
i have a rating that is 10 points less then Danny Mastermaker and he is twice as good as me .

So if i'm coming all the way from Europe and i have to play in the masters division i will be playing 2 matches ! 1 on the winners side and 1 on the losers side and bye bye .
Where the hell did i get 672 points ???

If you Europeans would stop beating us Americans at the Mosconi Cup, you'd probably be 200 points lower :thumbup: . Incidentally, my rating is 667. Talk about a fair match!

Lyn

Last edited:

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no rating on the fargo site, but the bca/csi site lists my wife and I as 525 transitional.

Do they use that value as a starting point if they have limited information ?

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no rating on the fargo site, but the bca/csi site lists my wife and I as 525 transitional.

Do they use that value as a starting point if they have limited information ?

Yes, that's right. My guess is you were formerly classified as "open," and your wife as "advanced."

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike,

Is there a bug in the program? I tried SVB vs Orcollo in a race to 99 and it gave me odds of infinity.

It worked with games in the 80s, but bot higher.

Gideon