Anyone make a short shaft

goin2bepro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting a pool table but ther will be a couple spots where a short cue is needed. Does anyone make a short, say 18-20 shaft, with a pro taper to use with an existing butt?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Have you thought about a 3 piece jump/break and use it with a regular tipped shaft?

goin2bepro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought about it

I thought about a jump cue but what made me think harder was the balance. The shorter lighter butt on a break cue would shi ft the balance point back whereas a shortened shaft would keep it heavier and push the balance forward.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I got my table I got a 48 inch cue to use where necessary. That way you don't have to break down your playing cue.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Getting a pool table but ther will be a couple spots where a short cue is needed. Does anyone make a short, say 18-20 shaft, with a pro taper to use with an existing butt?

Buy a cheap jump/break cue....wrap the short butt with metal tape to taste...
...get one that has the same thread pattern as your playing cue....
...so you can put a good shaft on it.

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
I had a short shaft made from dymondwood to use for masse shots (my theory is that the stiffer shaft would work better). It would work great for what you describe. It cost about the same as a normal, 29-inch shaft.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I thought about a jump cue but what made me think harder was the balance. The shorter lighter butt on a break cue would shi ft the balance point back whereas a shortened shaft would keep it heavier and push the balance forward.

I needed a short cue for 1 bar that we played against, why anyone would have chosen that place to be their "home" room and the terrible lack of room around the table is beyond me. Anyway I bought a new cheap $30.00 cue and cut the butt short then added an aluminum section to the butt to bring it up to the desired length and weight. I have a metal lathe so that made it pretty easy for me. So far everyone that has used it loves the feel of the cue for a shorty, they always seem to be way too light to me. The point of the story is that I think it is extremely important to get one that feels right to you if you are going to be using it regularly. Taking the end section off of a jump/break cue would feel too light for me.

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
I had a short shaft made from dymondwood to use for masse shots (my theory is that the stiffer shaft would work better). It would work great for what you describe. It cost about the same as a normal, 29-inch shaft.

This is what I did, for the same reason... but it would work for you too. Straight taper...short shaft.

Attachments

• IMAG2278.jpg
    IMAG2278.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 141