22 out of 23

goin2bepro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is running 22 out of 23 racks possible? Run a pack then miss one...opponent misses and player A runs out the rest. Heard a story once about it happening on a bar table.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
break cues allowed and jump cues

or just house clues?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is running 22 out of 23 racks possible? Run a pack then miss one...opponent misses and player A runs out the rest. Heard a story once about it happening on a bar table.
Any player capable of running 22 of 23 racks of 9-ball even on a bar table, would certainly have to be a known name player that most likely someone on this forum has heard of and could confirm as to whether it's possible. If you provide a name, it's far more likely we'll be able to tell you if it's true!

Last edited:

goin2bepro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 70s no jump cue or special equipment. 13 racks opponent makes 1 or 2 and misses....then 9 more racks.

justnum

Silver Member
In the 70s no jump cue or special equipment. 13 racks opponent makes 1 or 2 and misses....then 9 more racks.

sardo tight rack

rack person

so its a rack person, how about cue tip and chalk is the current stuff still popular

cue dimensions what was the big hitter back then cant be carbon fiber

air conditioning I dont want to be in a smoky pool room

Last edited:

goin2bepro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this post. Would it be a higher run in the 70s with a Sardo and other equipment? Normal cue and masters chalk on a shitty bartable. No rack person, just bullshitting and shooting in a bar. This isn't high stakes, just playing in the past people.

Last edited:

justnum

Silver Member
I like this post. Would it be a higher run in the 70s with a Sardo and other equipment? Normal cue and masters chalk on a shitty bartable. No rack person, just bullshitting and shooting in a bar. This isn't high stakes, just playing in the past people.

just make sure the rails are decent and no tears in the cloth small nicks in balls ok, no major gashes that change motion

i hope the table were level back then

the pros always say no two tables are alike

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've heard stories of higher numbers than that without a miss. With no video or first-hand trustworthy witness, it's a nice story.

goin2bepro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You heard

Isn't that what makes it believable? Its not a crazy story of an unmissed ball but acknowledgement of a miss and continuation

I've heard stories of higher numbers than that without a miss. With no video or first-hand trustworthy witness, it's a nice story.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't that what makes it believable? Its not a crazy story of an unmissed ball but acknowledgement of a miss and continuation
Not related, but I once played a guy in our poolroom who made 6 balls on a 9-ball break on a 9-foot table, then made 4 balls the very next break! I would think that is close to a record for balls made in 9-ball on two consecutive breaks on a 9-foot table - 10 balls.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Possible, sure. Many Pros have runs of 10+ as their high run. Archer did 13 I think against Bustamante then ran 2 out on the first set for 15 in a row and that was on a 9 footer. Earl did his very famous run to win a "million" dollars, there are several recorded tournament matches with runs of 10 or near there. Not out of the question that it can happen twice in a row.

If this story is true, who knows without any details as to who it was and when, who was there that reported it, etc...

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Matlock hit a guy with a 13 in Olathe one year. Had the set not been over he may have done something close to that. I know he's run 17 more than once. If his break was working his opponents saw a lot of seat time.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Matlock hit a guy with a 13 in Olathe one year. Had the set not been over he may have done something close to that. I know he's run 17 more than once. If his break was working his opponents saw a lot of seat time.

I cant imagine anyone better on a bar box than Matlock.

Close to perfection on BB, his game was not as strong on 9 foot.

Ken

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a 9’ tournament in Phoenix around 1983 Ismael Peaz was down 10-1 and ran out the last ten games, if my memory is correct

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m pretty sure there’s a video of Efren running 8 in a row in a tournament on YouTube. Also Kaci ran the set out against Alex and won 8-0. Most pros probably have the capability of doing it if the stars aligned and the break is working and the balls are rolling out good off the break.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member

My favorite was by Jim Ward. In a bar table 9 ball race to 9 finals match. Jim lost the flip and opponent broke dry. Jim ran the set. Jim lost the flip for the second set. Opponent broke dry and Jim finished the match. His opponent had two dry breaks in 18 games.