Does older or worn cloth hurt a new set of balls

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for the extra post about cloth but this is my last post on it . My Son got a new set of Aramith premium balls to use and he wanted to know if using the new ball set on the worn cloth would hurt the balls in anyway like scratching or anything else., The cloth is wore and has several burn marks on it . He plans to cloth in the near future like maybe in a month or so but wanted to know if it would hurt the new ball set any to use. Sorry for the lame questions , I did not think it would but thought I would ask some of you more experience guys who has been there and done that. Thanks

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Guy's he was worried that it may damage the new set he got, Money is hard to come by. Those old balls suck , to the point of no return. Thanks for confirming that .

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All that said... It doesn't sound like your table has gotten much love from a toolbox. I'd be very careful that anything the balls touch isn't a corner or a jagged piece sticking out...

But what the hell, balls are meant to be played with- get to it.
that's what she said.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
What hurts the balls is if the cloth is full of chalk. The chalk on the table acts like sandpaper. It the cloth is just worn there isn’t any problem.

I played on some tables that were so loaded up my bridge hand would get blue and the table was very slow as if rolling a ball thru mud.

The other is striking the balls with the cue tip. It will mark the ball with chalk and take off the finish. Look at a cue ball.

Overall a premium set of balls should last a long time that are used for home play

🎱

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
What hurts the balls is if the cloth is full of chalk. The chalk on the table acts like sandpaper. It the cloth is just worn there isn’t any problem.

I played on some tables that were so loaded up my bridge hand would get blue and the table was very slow as if rolling a ball thru mud.

The other is striking the balls with the cue tip. It will mark the ball with chalk and take off the finish. Look at a cue ball.

Overall a premium set of balls should last a long time that are used for home play

��

i call it chalk compression transfer

like a piston heating an atom, force grouping the atoms