Shadows on table after installing Diamond light

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
Installed my new Diamond light today. Using 8 LED 4' bulbs, the ones with the light strip in the tube. Turned it on and I have shadows. Flipped the diffuser and same. No shadows without the diffuser in place. Any help appreciated.

Pic attached shows the shadows......had a blanket on the table when pic was taken.

Thanks.

light shadows.jpg

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I recently installed a new Diamond and light. I have no issues. I used the bulbs recommended by Diamond.

The back is a mess as they are still installing built-in bookshelves and adding some stain highlights to match the table. I turned off the 18 overhead LEDs and just used the Diamond light. I turned off the flash head, but they are still over-exposed. I'm not going to re-shoot as I'm watching the Astros game. You can see that there are no shadows.

Light 01.jpg

Light 02.jpg

Light 03.jpg

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I am wondering about this also, not anywhere near as bad as this, but, noticeable! Any info would be great!

TFT

Installed my new Diamond light today. Using 8 LED 4' bulbs, the ones with the light strip in the tube. Turned it on and I have shadows. Flipped the diffuser and same. No shadows without the diffuser in place. Any help appreciated.

Pic attached shows the shadows......had a blanket on the table when pic was taken.

Thanks.

View attachment 557889

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are the bulbs clear or frosted? My money is on clear. Clear LED's with the diffusers = tiger stripes. The bulbs need to be frosted to use the diffusers.

I use these Philips fluorescent tubes in my light and the light is perfect. The specs on these are probably the same as the LED's and the Lumens may even be higher on the fluorescents.

50107805568_079822ee98_z.jpg

49726405907_c8b922510b_z.jpg

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
Are the bulbs clear or frosted? My money is on clear. Clear LED's with the diffusers = tiger stripes. The bulbs need to be frosted to use the diffusers.

I use these Philips fluorescent tubes in my light and the light is perfect. The specs on these are probably the same as the LED's and the Lumens may even be higher on the fluorescents.

50107805568_079822ee98_z.jpg

49726405907_c8b922510b_z.jpg

Bingo. My bulbs are clear.

Ordered the ones recommended by Diamond.....don’t recall anything about frosted tubes on their info sheet.

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
I am wondering about this also, not anywhere near as bad as this, but, noticeable! Any info would be great!

TFT

Per rexus31's reply above, the tubes have to be frosted. The ones I have, recommended on Diamonds info sheet that came with the light, are clear. He states the clear ones when used with the diffuser grid will give you the tiger stripe shadows.

I will be calling Diamond tomorrow.

DTL

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you went by Diamond’s recommendations, you communicated with Jim Rosendaul at Tocor lighting. Reach out to him and he’ll resolve your problem.

If you didn’t use Tocor, you did not follow Diamond’s instructions and you may be on your own.

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
If you went by Diamond’s recommendations, you communicated with Jim Rosendaul at Tocor lighting. Reach out to him and he’ll resolve your problem.

If you didn’t use Tocor, you did not follow Diamond’s instructions and you may be on your own.

In the light box was a Diamond light information sheet. It had various light related info including recommendations for the bulbs. I first called Tocor and their bulbs were $10 a piece (need 8) and the shipping was crazy high....about $40 if I recall. So I went with the other recommendation on the info sheet, see picture. The bulbs were clear, not frosted. Cost for those bulbs was $59 plus tax (Amazon).

Diamond Light Info Sheet.jpg

DTL

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should complain to Diamond. They should not be recommending clear LED bulbs when their fixture has diffusers.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, shame on Diamond.

I never looked in the light box. The electricians did the unpacking and installation. I insisted they watch Heath’s 22 minute video on unpacking and installation, which they did (and I paid them an extra half-hour to do so).

I ordered the table May 4th when the factory re-opened. I ordered the lights May 12th, $126.58, delivered.

In July, I looked at the box I had stored in my home office. I looked up the product code online and discovered they shipped the 4000K lights instead of the 5000K lights recommended by Diamond.

I contacted Jim. He said it was too expensive to return them, so 2-3 days later I got the set of 5000K bulbs. They are superb.

I still have the 4000K bulbs, never opened, if you are interested.

Last edited: