Predator Shaft.

aquaurchin99

Let's Make A Deal
Silver Member
I'm sure this has been discussed at length but I'm still undecided.

I currently play with a 12mm ViKore shaft (Viking LD shaft). I'm not completely sure if I want to go to a Z2 shaft or a 314-2.

I mean, I already play with a 12mm, so Z2 wouldn't be too much different. But I could get a more consistent hit from a 314-2. I hear the Z2 sometimes spins too much making long shots more difficult.

Also, what about turning down a 314-2? I could just have it turned down to 12.3mm and get the best of both worlds no?

I'd like to hear some opinions and recommendations. Thanks!

RSCA HOOLIGAN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ss360

SS360 shaft from Bob Danielson .
You can choose whatever diameter you like and 100 times better than a predator shaft .
And cheaper !
I played with PREDATOR before for about 3 years , first the Z2 and than the 314-2 .
It's when i started using the SS360 shaft my level started to go up , it's an amazing shaft .
And everytime there's a thread about LD shafts i will comment about it saying how good it is .

I tested this shaft on a JOSEY , BAUTISTA , JACOBY and everytime it felt extremely good .
But this shaft in combination with his 6 pie laminated butt makes it a cue out of this world .

Try it , you'll be amazed .

Christoph

RunEm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ur gonna get a lot of mixed feelings about this one see me I love the ob better then all the others!

encore

Banned

I currently play with a 12mm ViKore shaft (Viking LD shaft). I'm not completely sure if I want to go to a Z2 shaft or a 314-2.

I mean, I already play with a 12mm, so Z2 wouldn't be too much different. But I could get a more consistent hit from a 314-2. I hear the Z2 sometimes spins too much making long shots more difficult.

Also, what about turning down a 314-2? I could just have it turned down to 12.3mm and get the best of both worlds no?

I have a friend who turned down an original 314 and it plays very nice! It matched up pretty good to his custom butt and has a very nice feel to the hit. He has a ob-2, z2, 314-2 but prefers the turned down OG 314 as his go to shaft. he tells me each shaft on his butt has a slightly different feel to the hit.

Last edited:

pampi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ss360

SS360 shaft from Bob Danielson .
You can choose whatever diameter you like and 100 times better than a predator shaft .
And cheaper !
I played with PREDATOR before for about 3 years , first the Z2 and than the 314-2 .
It's when i started using the SS360 shaft my level started to go up , it's an amazing shaft .
And everytime there's a thread about LD shafts i will comment about it saying how good it is .

I tested this shaft on a JOSEY , BAUTISTA , JACOBY and everytime it felt extremely good .
But this shaft in combination with his 6 pie laminated butt makes it a cue out of this world .

Try it , you'll be amazed .

Christoph

Yes, ss360 you will be satisfied for the rest of your life....

KenK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I can only speak for the 3142 and z2 shafts. I love my z2.

I got a new predator sp about a year ago. And like you I was undecided on which shaft to get. I opted for the 314 2 for the same reasons that if I don't like it I can have it turned down. I couldn't get used to the thickness of the 314 2. Had it turned down to 12.3. Still didn't care for it. Bought a z2 this past January and love it.

Not sure if you are looking to buy new or used but I ended up buying my z2 shaft new from ozone billiards due to their 100% satisfaction guarantee policy. Give them a call to confirm their policy but if I understand it correctly, in the event your not happy with your purchase they would be willing to work with you on a return/exchange even if its past 90 days. You pay a little bit more for new but in this case it will be worth it in the event your not happy with your purchase.

Good luck with your decision.

Ken

Chuck521

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pass on the predator shaft. and get an SS360 shaft made exactly the way you want it. or get an OB Classic they wont disappoint you, thats what i got and love it but I'm gonna buy a ss360 shaft in the very near future

slouch

Registered
What do you want out of the shaft (pure low deflection, feel, stiffness)?

I think it's difficult to get opinions as everyone's game is different. Don't expect the shaft to immediately make you better; but there will be something in terms of confidence boost if you like what you play with. I recently decided to fix my fundamentals. I think I'm better regardless of the shaft I play with.

But, if you're looking for information you'll need to understand each of the shafts and its technology. This is what I remember about some of them:

314-2: 10 radially laminated wood pie pieces, hollowed out tip with foam, 12.75mm tip with pro taper.

Z2: 10 radially laminated wood pie pieces, hollowed out tip with foam, 11.75mm tip with euro/conical taper.

OB-1 : 6 pieces of laminated wood dowels in an offset direction, hollowed out tip with foam, wood ferrule, 12.75mm tip with pro taper.

OB-2 : 6 pieces of laminated wood dowels in an offset direction, hollowed out tip with foam, wood ferrule, 11.75mm tip with euro/conical taper.

OB-classic : 6 pieces of laminated wood dowels in an offset direction, not hollowed out, plastic ferrule, 12.75 modified pro taper.

OB-Classic Pro : 6 pieces of laminated wood dowels in an offset direction, not hollowed out, plastic ferrule, 11.75 modified euro/conical taper.

SS360 : 6 pie pieces of heat dried maple : hollowed out, no foam, juma ferrule, custom tip diameter with ~12 parabolic taper

Jacoby Edge Hybrid Pro : 8 pie pieces of 8 level laminated wood : hollowed out, foam core, custom tip diameter with 19" pro taper.

I find it odd someone indicated the 314 shaft was thick compared to the Z2. The 314 has about a 14" pro taper for 12.75mm. Even though the Z2 is 11.75mm at the tip the euro taper makes it 12.75mm about 6" down and it only gets fatter after that. This is why you'll hear lots say it's harder to use a closed bridge with the Z2 and its increasing shaft diameter.

What are the Vikore shafts like?