What's an easy and effective way to extend Sub-rails?

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Many people recommend extending sub-rails for tighter pockets, instead of double shims...

The easiest, and most effective way to extend sub-rails, is to send them to Mark Gregory.

Otherwise, there have been many threads here in the past, documenting the procedure. 'Realkingcobra' has provided the bulk of the info that is available on it.

Doing the work is not that difficult, if you have the proper tools. However, you'll need to replace the cushions, which is not always an easy task, especially if the table is an older Brunswick, or if someone else has replaced the cushions previously. It is not uncommon to see sub-rails that are extremely wavy along the top edge, mostly due to someone running a belt sander down the top edge of the cushion. Depending on the method by which you use to install the cushions, it will likely be easiest to install the cushions straight, if you first correct the wavy sub-rail.

Of course, if it is an old Brunswick, since you're doing all of this other work, you might as well correct the angle of the sub-rail, to accommodate modern day k55 cushions. This isn't exactly a DIY job either..

So, my point in all this is: extending the sub-rails is the best way, to have the table play at its optimum performance, though there is a lot more work involved than just slapping a couple of pieces of wood on the ends of the rails, and calling it a day.. If you want a quick and easy way to reduce the pockets, your best bet is to use thicker facings, or stack a couple of them together. If you want to improve the way the pocket plays, it may also be desirable to change the angles of the pocket openings. This can be done relatively easily, so long as you have the proper tools. But, if you want to have your sub-rails extended properly, your best bet is to hire someone who is experienced in doing this work.

Kamikazecuetips

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The easiest, and most effective way to extend sub-rails, is to send them to Mark Gregory.

Otherwise, there have been many threads here in the past, documenting the procedure. 'Realkingcobra' has provided the bulk of the info that is available on it.

Doing the work is not that difficult, if you have the proper tools. However, you'll need to replace the cushions, which is not always an easy task, especially if the table is an older Brunswick, or if someone else has replaced the cushions previously. It is not uncommon to see sub-rails that are extremely wavy along the top edge, mostly due to someone running a belt sander down the top edge of the cushion. Depending on the method by which you use to install the cushions, it will likely be easiest to install the cushions straight, if you first correct the wavy sub-rail.

Of course, if it is an old Brunswick, since you're doing all of this other work, you might as well correct the angle of the sub-rail, to accommodate modern day k55 cushions. This isn't exactly a DIY job either..

So, my point in all this is: extending the sub-rails is the best way, to have the table play at its optimum performance, though there is a lot more work involved than just slapping a couple of pieces of wood on the ends of the rails, and calling it a day.. If you want a quick and easy way to reduce the pockets, your best bet is to use thicker facings, or stack a couple of them together. If you want to improve the way the pocket plays, it may also be desirable to change the angles of the pocket openings. This can be done relatively easily, so long as you have the proper tools. But, if you want to have your sub-rails extended properly, your best bet is to hire someone who is experienced in doing this work.

Okay, thanks for the great information. I'm thinking at this point that I may want to change the way the pockets plays? The pockets are double shimmed as of now, but the balls still seem to go in with ease.... I'm not sure if it's because the Simonis is new and gliding in tough shots, cause of it being new & slick? I also herd that the pockets will tighten up a little after the cloth breaks-in? What's are thoughts, or suggestions at this point? Wait a bit before I do anything? See how it plays, after the cloth breaks-in? Thanks again....

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
upload_-1.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAL7M/auw6g03o8gc/s640-Ic42/upload_-1.jpg
Jack Zimmerman's work.
Notice the rubber is extended ?