Name a pool hall you wish was still open today

henrylr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Wooster pool room on Asylum Street in Hartford Ct. was a great old place. I think it closed in late 1960s or early 1970s. Classic room from probably the 1890s. All very old Brunswick 9 foot tables and 4 10' billiards tables. Still had rack boys in 1960s.

stevenmor

Registered
Another vote for the Boulevard Social and Athletic Club in Philly above Gaudio's (remember that? lol). I really miss the days back in the 80's when I could watch Jimmy, Petey, Spanish Mike, etc when they were at their best. Lots of action and open 24/7. I never was much of a player but really enjoyed watching those guys and the guys that would come in for action on the "Exhibition Table". Those were the days.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Taxi, The Jack Demsey's that you refer to was the second location.

Jack Demsey's original location was on 8th Avenue.
It closed and then it moved to Broadway.
From the NY Times:
"Jack Dempsey's Broadway Restaurant, known popularly as Jack Dempsey's, was a restaurant located on Broadway between 49th and 50th streets in Manhattan, New York.
Owned by world Heavyweight boxing champion, Jack Dempsey, it was considered by many as an American institution. The restaurant originally opened for business as Jack Dempsey's Restaurant on Eighth Avenue and 50th Street."

forabeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kraemer & Eugenes in Concord, NC.

Helena Thornfeldt & Monica Webb were house pros.
Place was awesome. Upstairs via elevator was a private monthly due type
of social club called the "9 of Clubs". Was not a member but I did get a tour.
Private area had a serious collection of antique tables. Kling, Anniversary, Centennial, 12ft Snooker, walk in humidor, etc.

Place was cool.

http://www.vmsd.com/content/kramer-eugenes `

barrymore

Registered
Best Poolrooms

The Best in the west "Mothers Family Billiards" Sherman Oaks ,Ca The best people and the most soul.

BK

Tall-Bob

Registered
Colfax Billiards, Denver

The classic old-style pool hall with two rows of Gold Crowns and nothing else. Just pool, mister. Just off the corner of Colfax and Sheridan, open 24 hours.

obe1

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pool hall

Harkins st paul mn 40's thru 70's

32 lanes upstairs

50 pre war brunswick table downstairs

9 &10 for pool

12 ft oceans for snooker

10 ft for billiards

Attachments

• HARKINS.jpg
    HARKINS.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:

theporche

Bob's Billiards, Okmulgee, Oklahoma

Built like an early western bar with long counter down one side. Two snooker tables and two pool tables. Dominos in the back for the old timers. Pure magic. Returned to visit after many years to find it burnt to the ground. It was like someone cut my heart out.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taxi, The Jack Demsey's that you refer to was the second location.

Jack Demsey's original location was on 8th Avenue.
It closed and then it moved to Broadway.
From the NY Times:
"Jack Dempsey's Broadway Restaurant, known popularly as Jack Dempsey's, was a restaurant located on Broadway between 49th and 50th streets in Manhattan, New York.
Owned by world Heavyweight boxing champion, Jack Dempsey, it was considered by many as an American institution. The restaurant originally opened for business as Jack Dempsey's Restaurant on Eighth Avenue and 50th Street."

I think we're both right here. The restaurant WAS originally opened in 1935 on 8th & 50th, across from the old Madison Square Garden, but it moved to 1619 Broadway in 1947. I'd not remembered the 8th Avenue location, but then that was a bit before my time. :grin:

randyaz

Registered
I vote for the crystal palace in las vegas nevada off bonanza road and civic center blvd. In the 80's/90's the week-night 9-ball tournament was a $10 buy in. I never won of course, there were former world champions who played there. I once played cardona in the third round and got two games on him in a race to seven. And played kenniston a few times for funsies.

There was an old guy there i do not remember his name. He was a straight pool player. One day i was there watching him play some tourist from new york $100 a game on nine-ball and i watched him win $3200 dollars before the guy gave up.

Randy e

QuietStorm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Julian Pool Hall

I grew up playing in Julian Pool Hall on 14th St and Irving (NYC). It was a large pool hall, and some of the regulars were some real old timers.

162933_174202065936592_174192685937530_438339_1163639_n.jpg

M3Y51107.jpg

NYjulians1s.jpg

automatjulians14thstreet.jpg