CHICAGO - Surge Coffee Bar and Billiards

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I stopped in today, very nice room. Good equipment, nice people. Do yourself a favor, check it out.
Free parking on side streets.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll be making a run thru there shortly.
If anyone here speaks with PJ regularly, let him know that I'd like to meet up

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I'll be making a run thru there shortly.
If anyone here speaks with PJ regularly, let him know that I'd like to meet up

I will be there next month Mr.Bond, may I invite you to a friendly game when the time gets closer? Mid February!

Trent from Toledo

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
xian, you were close = they are GC2 bases with GC5 tops.

Yeah, I played at Marie's way back in the day also... Yo Scott - not quite right re. Chris's...very few people know that the poolroom Chris's Billiards was originally Bob's Billiards, owned by Bob Ries - Bob originally put together the space, tables etc..but just 2 years later Bob decided to get out of the poolroom business and sold it to Chris, who renamed it Chris's Billiards.

And for a bit of personal trivia....Chris's is still my homeroom (as you know Scott) and I'm the only player left there that's been playing there since the 1st week that Chris took over - and I also played there when it was Bob's Billiards...Bob, by the way was a 3cushion player, which is the reason that Chris's has always had several 3cushion tables throughout it's history.

- Ghost

You're in Chicago?
Did you know Howard Wilcox?

vacation

Living Good.
Silver Member
Facebook says they open at 7am every day.. Can anyone confirm this is true? If so, if anyone ever wants to do an early morning session on a Saturday or Sunday, message me.

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a remarkable transformation!

I have been to Marie's several times and was always disappointed with the equipment and lighting. Well , they sure took care of those items. Now the room is completely different. Job well done. Good luck to the new owners!

To complete the parking story in Chicago. Mayor Daley who gave away the rights for pennies on the dollar now I believe has a cushy job with the law firm that handled that heist of Chicago taxpayers. And he hardly has been scene since he left office.

But that is the Chicago way:mad::angry::angry::angry:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
This is a remarkable transformation!

I have been to Marie's several times and was always disappointed with the equipment and lighting. Well , they sure took care of those items. Now the room is completely different. Job well done. Good luck to the new owners!

To complete the parking story in Chicago. Mayor Daley who gave away the rights for pennies on the dollar now I believe has a cushy job with the law firm that handled that heist of Chicago taxpayers. And he hardly has been scene since he left office.

But that is the Chicago way:mad::angry::angry::angry:

Yes, yes he did sell out the city and take the job after he left office. It's the Chicago Way.

Was a party a few years back where Mr. Daley was in attendance. Yes, I was most likely the only conservative in the building for this party, but a friend is a somebody and got me into the party. He could not wait to introduce me to the former Mayor. I refused. He was like, why not? I said, see those two big dudes next to him. He said yeah, they are probably body guards. I said yeah, and it's December and Lake Michigan is pretty fuggin cold. I'll just go the other way ;)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, yes he did sell out the city and take the job after he left office. It's the Chicago Way.

Was a party a few years back where Mr. Daley was in attendance. Yes, I was most likely the only conservative in the building for this party, but a friend is a somebody and got me into the party. He could not wait to introduce me to the former Mayor. I refused. He was like, why not? I said, see those two big dudes next to him. He said yeah, they are probably body guards. I said yeah, and it's December and Lake Michigan is pretty fuggin cold. I'll just go the other way ;)
Discretion is the better part of valor.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
My oldest son will be making a trip to Surge with his girl friend tomorrow to give me a room report. He plays pool but its not a huge thing with him right now. I will let you know what he thinks. He went bowling tonight and with shoe rental his date and he racked up an $80 dollar tab for approximately one hours worth.:eek:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
My oldest son will be making a trip to Surge with his girl friend tomorrow to give me a room report. He plays pool but its not a huge thing with him right now. I will let you know what he thinks. He went bowling tonight and with shoe rental his date and he racked up an $80 dollar tab for approximately one hours worth.:eek:

$80 for one hour. You sure she was a "date" ;)

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're in Chicago?
Did you know Howard Wilcox?

Yes - and have been playing pool here since playing at the famous Bensinger's Billiard Academy in the late 60's. - where my good old friends, may they RIP, Freddy the Beard, George Fels, and Bugs Rucker would also be playing.

Very surprising that anyone would ask me about Howard Wilcox...yes, I know him well - back around the late 80's we used to gamble playing 3cushion - he was uncommon in the fact that he was a 3cushion player who would bet pretty high, i.e. $200 a game.

- Ghost

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes - and have been playing pool here since playing at the famous Bensinger's Billiard Academy in the late 60's. - where my good old friends, may they RIP, Freddy the Beard, George Fels, and Bugs Rucker would also be playing.

Very surprising that anyone would ask me about Howard Wilcox...yes, I know him well - back around the late 80's we used to gamble playing 3cushion - he was uncommon in the fact that he was a 3cushion player who would bet pretty high, i.e. $200 a game.

- Ghost

Sorry for not knowing that you are local :)
I was friends with Freddy and George as well but never had the privilege of meeting Bugs.

Harold passed away a few years back and his son called me about donating some of his things to the museum, which we are happy to have on display as we speak.

I believe his carom table is still in the basement of their offices. I was also shown a great photo of Harold with Mr. Chrisman back in the day.

Cheers!

Last edited:

HUKIT

F* ks Given...Zero
Silver Member
Has anyone been here during the day yet? Trying to get an idea how crowded it is as I'm trying to find a place to meet Scott for a lesson during the week.