Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
i got side tracked

did the cue turn out to be a tad or not

it is really a very beautiful cue and looks good to me

it is hard to imagine someone making a copy this good

It's a Tad Dean. The qusetion was whether someone was using pictures from someone else in order to make buyers think THEY had the cue. The jury is out an that one still.

Last edited:

Johnnybgood

Banned
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Its actually sort of interesting to hear opinions on things like this, as long as it stays classy...since nothing is for sale maybe the mods can move this to the cue gallery or something. Im sure enough people have seen it here to get the idea.

On a side note, I have had a few Tads over the years but nothing fancy like the OP, nor any after he passed. For those who have, how do the actual Tad cues compare to the new ones?

My oldest TAD was a merry willow steal joint. That cue hits unbelievable. That’s a cue I will never get rid of. I don’t remember exactly when I bought it but, it was around the late 80’s. I can pick up that cue at any time and I am home. I was planning on getting it refinished and always intended on giving it to my son. One evening while playing at home (and after a few beers I might add) I challenged my son. I set up a spot shot. Told him if he made that shot I would give him the cue. He is just getting started but coming along good. He eyed and lined this shot up for at least a half an hour got set then rest then set and reset. It was a process and I would have bet more than the cue he would never make it. Well he nailed it. One shot one time and he swished it. It is now his cue. We still want to get it refinished but, he can’t go without it long enough to get it done and neither could I.

Since that time I have purchased 3 cues made by Fred. One 4 point window cue steal joint,
one tiger wood big pin (which I reluctantly sold, wish I hadn’t) one BEM Merry Widow and recently another tiger wood steal joint made by TAD and FRED. I made the big pin BEM my player which is a Fred cue. I took a good month for that cue to break in. Once it did boy oh boy does it play. It’s another cue I will never sell. I can attest that the cues coming out from Fred play fantastic. I think it’s unfortunate that a lot of these cues go over seas and generally don’t get played.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There is a interview with Ernie of ginacue fame where he offers his opinion on why cues hit better over time. It is fascinating.

Ernies opinion is pretty much shared by a lot of makers and it makes sense. Especially with shaft wood (providing it stays straight,) the wood will "tighten up" over time. Maple especially loves to take on oil from the skin. The pores are relatively small and uniform. As those pores tighten up and achieve that glassy finish we all love, the shaft wood seems to stiffen.

I recently built a conversion for a gentleman from a very old (probably very early 40's) Brunswick Tru-Balance. Once it was retapered the maple had a TON of curl to it. What really got me is that the shaft portion of the cue was dead straight and had so much curl to it that I questioned if it would be too stiff. It turned out fine but geez old wood hits good. Sorry for the horrid pic but he sent it to me.

Attachments

• Brunswick Conversion.jpg
    Brunswick Conversion.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 167

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Its actually sort of interesting to hear opinions on things like this, as long as it stays classy...since nothing is for sale maybe the mods can move this to the cue gallery or something. Im sure enough people have seen it here to get the idea.

On a side note, I have had a few Tads over the years but nothing fancy like the OP, nor any after he passed. For those who have, how do the actual Tad cues compare to the new ones?

I own one cue made by Fred, it's brand new never played and not even test hit. Though, I have played with cues made by Fred owned by friends and a few cues I have sold in the past. IMHO, they play the same as TAD cues in my collection as early as late 70's made by Tad himself. I have complete confidence in Fred's work as he has been working in the shop with his father since the 80's. Fred does exceptional work that he proudly stands behind. Some of his recent designs have really surprised me where I wish I could have seen them in person rather than in pictures. One cue I did happen to see in person, but it wasn't complete at the time since Fred was still working on it. That cue now resides in Japan and was a 1of1 that I believe, probably the only cue with pink inlays ever to leave the shop. The inlays were a type of stone, can't remember what they were.

Johnnybgood

Banned
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I own one cue made by Fred, it's brand new never played and not even test hit. Though, I have played with cues made by Fred owned by friends and a few cues I have sold in the past. IMHO, they play the same as TAD cues in my collection as early as late 70's made by Tad himself. I have complete confidence in Fred's work as he has been working in the shop with his father since the 80's. Fred does exceptional work that he proudly stands behind. Some of his recent designs have really surprised me where I wish I could have seen them in person rather than in pictures. One cue I did happen to see in person, but it wasn't complete at the time since Fred was still working on it. That cue now resides in Japan and was a 1of1 that I believe, probably the only cue with pink inlays ever to leave the shop. The inlays were a type of stone, can't remember what they were.

Pics?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

grumpydad1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 92.3%
12   1   0
I contacted the seller and asked him if he would do an escrow account ..
I told him I would give the money to Fred at Tads shop and he could ship it to Tads shop.
when Fred verifies the cue is a Tad then Fred would release the money to him..
thought this would protect me, he told me no way so I left it at that,,

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I contacted the seller and asked him if he would do an escrow account .. I told him I would give the money to Fred at Tads shop and he could ship it to Tads shop. when Fred verifies the cue is a Tad then Fred would release the money to him.. thought this would protect me, he told me no way so I left it at that,,

Good to know, seemed like a reasonable suggestion for a viable transaction IMHO.

The pink stone that I know of that sees use in pool cues is called rhodinite.

Sorry, but I don't have very good pictures of the finished cue as it is not mine and I don't know the owner personally to ask for better pictures.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 136