why didn't/doesn't efren care more about the break shot?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's ridiculous to state the Efren doesn't care. How do you know? Did you ask him? Did he do an interview where he stated he doesn't care? Perhaps you can read minds?

I can't read minds
but I do wonder if you read my post at all
literally the second line I wrote is
"obviously, he cares about the break"
but even if you only read the thread title
and after I've read all who've posted thusfar
to insinuate he didn't care as much as the next guy
is a poor choice of words

efren is too smart to just sit on a glaring weakness
but due to the variety of opinion on the subject
the general topic of efren's break is evidently one worth discussing
bata is my favorite, and inarguably one of the finest players to pick up a cue
as fans, I think we're doing the game a service by attempting to dissect his efforts
by invention, the game of pool is fine by itself
but it is with our participation, both on and off the table
that makes pool *great*
and maybe via our enthusiasm, others will see how beautiful pool is
and the game will grow

I digress (gar, I like to think of my mind as an endless drop pocket btw:p)
a lot of good and interesting comments in this thread
I like what grindz and jay say, and what others allude to
about efren being a "stroke" player
having established his game, before the big nine-ball break came into vogue (for him)
and even having put work into his break over the years
it still feels like he couldn't get over the big break hump
because it's just not him
individual personalities and skillsets are what makes a player unique
and again, as others have mentioned
effy isn't too shabby after the break:cool:
I guess it's hard to be good at everything all the time

and whereas I've often wondered why efren's break wasn't better
I now find myself appreciating more how great a player efren was, and is
in spite of that

thanks all for the replies
I know I post oddities from time to time
but please don't misconstrue my general feeling
that pool is such a wonderful, amazing game
and it's truly a blessing to be able to share in that here on azb.

may you all find a sweet runout/golden break/hill-hill magic, etc. in your stocking
happy holidays everybody:grin:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Efren did not break all too well and strong. Just like Buddy Hall and Keith McReady. They were weak breakers by pro standards .
Bustamante, Archer, Strickland, Daulton, Sigel, Medina, Ellin, Luat and Morris were the big breakers among the many in the 90's.

Efren once offered several pros the 8-ball if Bustamante broke for him at Hard Times. Nobody took him up on it.

You left David Howard off your list. He would be right at the top.

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
Why are we talking about Reyes' break? He is retired and he is satisfied of what he has achieved. If God gave him a great talent in breaking, what do you think will happen? No one on the planet can equal what he has done in the world of pool. Let him rest and enjoy his game against these youngsters.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The break isn't everything. It's all about what happens after the break. Outside of the pro ranks, there are lots of big breakers, but if they can't get out, they're a loser. Efren could win, and did against everyone, including the big breakers. This shows the strong point in his game was never his break.
Would Efren have chewed up more top players if he had a monster break? Maybe so, but he chewed them up anyway without it.

You are correct the break back then didn’t matter near as much because everyone was getting random racks with random results.

Then came the magic racks, balls all the same size and rack mechanics.

It’s a new day, the break is the most important shot in rotation pool in modern pool. Up to about 20??? Years ago, wasn’t the most important shot. Was still important but couldn’t be controlled.

Fatboy

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why are we talking about Reyes' break? He is retired and he is satisfied of what he has achieved. If God gave him a great talent in breaking, what do you think will happen? No one on the planet can equal what he has done in the world of pool. Let him rest and enjoy his game against these youngsters.
Retired?? He's on a stream almost daily gambling back home. He has cut way back on travel but he's still at it.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think there is a kernel of truth in the initial post. Yes, we all know that Efren managed to be the greatest player of all time without a really big break but that doesn't mean he wasn't less fascinated by the break than some other shots and skills.

What made Efren the greatest ever, other than his superhuman skills, was his creativity and imagination. I'm inclined to feel that the nine-ball break shot relative to other skills involves less creativity and imagination, and for that reason, I think it quite possible that a man who loved pool most when he was at his highest peaks of otherworldly innovation was less fascinated by the break shot than by other shots.

On a side note, Efren had an excellent 8-ball break.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And don’t forget how great efren broke and ran his way past
Earl in the color of money race to 120, 1996.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 ball people now use the controlled break. 10 ball Efren can kick as good or better than anybody in the world. A cluster or two probably doesn't bother him as much as some other players.

He currently has a health issue with his shoulder which probably limits his ability to get a lot of force behind the break shot.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren did not break all too well and strong. Just like Buddy Hall and Keith McReady. They were weak breakers by pro standards .
Bustamante, Archer, Strickland, Daulton, Sigel, Medina, Ellin, Luat and Morris were the big breakers among the many in the 90's.

Efren once offered several pros the 8-ball if Bustamante broke for him at Hard Times. Nobody took him up on it.

And he was laughing when he made the offer knowing that no one was going to take him up on the offer. Miss those days when the Filipino's made Hard Times their home away from home. Efren playing 1 Hole all night after arriving. Giving people 15/3 for as little as $50.00. Playing chess or sleeping in the bleachers when not playing 1 Hole. He sure enjoyed his life then. Probably still does--he is that type of guy.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And don’t forget how great efren broke and ran his way past
Earl in the color of money race to 120, 1996.

Great point.
Makes you wonder why a person who mastered all other parts of pool could never get that consistent dynamite break. You can bet Earl wants no part of this conversation.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great point.
Makes you wonder why a person who mastered all other parts of pool could never get that consistent dynamite break. You can bet Earl wants no part of this conversation.

gary you nailed it mate
I'm still embarrassed I suggested bata cared less about anything pool
I should've titled this thread
"why didn't/doesn't efren break better"
I guess I just considered bata so exalted
that if he wanted to do it, he would have
I now realize we are all mortal..even the magician
lesson learned
but again I'm glad to have broached the subject
because again, here on azb
knowledge and opinion wear a true crown

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
He came up needing to smash open a full rack in humid conditions, probably with slow cloth. You’d think the 9 ball break would be easy for him. It is tricky though. I think the 10 ball break is easier to do well