efficacy spectrum in pool

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sometimes we shoot good, sometimes bad
fargo, for example, assigns us a value representing the average of that spectrum
what I'm curious about is how much a given player typically fluctuates results-wise

obviously you don't need a fargo, but to perhaps more easily illustrate the convo
a player rated say, 250, do they play at level pretty consistently?
do they often play much worse than that? do they play much over their head?
and then on the flip side, top pro players' level doesn't seem to change a whole lot

it seems like once a player gets to a certain level
establishes fundamentals and starts digging into the game
their level is more likely to fluctuate, as the learning process moves
but there's a lot of space between 250 and 750

at what level do y'all think a player's results fluctuate the most?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fargo, for example, assigns us a value representing the average of that spectrum
what I'm curious about is how much a given player typically fluctuates results-wise

obviously you don't need a fargo, but to perhaps more easily illustrate the convo
and then on the flip side, top pro players' level doesn't seem to change a whole lot

You lost me at "efficacy". WTF????

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
the better the less fluctuation

The better you get at something the less variance and fluctuation there is. The difference between your best day and the way you play ninety-five percent of the time closes up. Anyone can have the very rare awful day but when you play a champion you can be pretty sure of the level of play you are facing at the least. Their bad day might be less than ten percent behind their good day. Someone who hasn't been playing long might have a variance of forty percent.

Hu

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
You lost me at "efficacy". WTF????

Hehe 😜 it was a little confusing but I got it at the end.

550 level players I say. Too low of players don’t really get on a roll. A roll for them maybe but not running racks. Real good players are supposed to stay playing real good. 550 can run some racks and play good pool sometimes and then not be able to run 5 bulls the next day. I think I’m probably like 550

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
550 can run some racks and play good pool sometimes and then not be able to run 5 bulls the next day.

I unfortunately relate to this..whaddya think inspired me to effin' write about effin' efficacy in the first place? (hi gar)
:p

thanks for the replies y'all and keep 'em comin'

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is all about repeated movements. As you get better at the game you get more consistent in your movements until you get to a point where you have to develop your pattern recognition skills.

Once you get to the stage where pattern play is the only thing holding you back your consistency will improve.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on the player. Some elite players fluctuate a lot but you wouldn’t notice it if they were playing a good player who has got there in the early rounds of a tournament. Some bangers fluctuate a lot less but pull of 1 or 2 great shots and run out, and then miss every single shot by the slimmest of margins and can’t sink a ball.

I agree that as players get better they get more consistent - but they also generally begin to play at a higher level (i.e. against higher level opponents). Small percentages come into play a lot more.

It’s player dependent. At all levels there are players who are more consistent and players who are less consistent.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
You can't use the word efficacy incorrectly and expect to get coherent responses and meaningful discussion.

People good at something are more consistent, alert the media.

Sent from the future.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can't use the word efficacy incorrectly and expect to get coherent responses and meaningful discussion.

People good at something are more consistent, alert the media.

Sent from the future.

More consistent at what exactly? I agree with you, but when you reach the next level surely you are again reaching for consistency?

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think you will find this interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWO4NEcKFqg

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hehe 😜 it was a little confusing but I got it at the end.

550 level players I say. Too low of players don’t really get on a roll. A roll for them maybe but not running racks. Real good players are supposed to stay playing real good. 550 can run some racks and play good pool sometimes and then not be able to run 5 bulls the next day. I think I’m probably like 550

I think you are right about that level, was going to post the same thing. I have run 2 and 3 racks several times a week and next week struggled to make 3 balls.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I think you are right about that level, was going to post the same thing. I have run 2 and 3 racks several times a week and next week struggled to make 3 balls.

Yeah man, it’s maddening sometimes lol.

Mike page’s cool video kinda disputes the whole theory but I think in a visual aspect the 550 is still the one who’s play seems to swing the most... going from someone who knows what their doing to just someone with a pool stick 😂