Unluckiest scratch ever?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The problem was not follow...the ball was air born....how I see it.
In slo-mo it does look like he hit the cue ball at or below center. But the cue ball was off the table at contact and barely clipped the first red in the rack it came to.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem was not follow...the ball was air born....how I see it.

You are probably right but the thing is he wanted to draw so difficult to call it the “unluckiest scratch ever”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
unbelievable to have those two things happen to you in the same shot.

but of the 16 players in the event maguire is somehow the most likely candidate to have this happen to him. don't know why but he is often "unlucky".. very impressive comeback and win though. he channeled his hot temper in a positive way. i hope he will continue on this path.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
unbelievable to have those two things happen to you in the same shot. ...
I would say there were three remarkable parts of the shot:

the object ball entering, leaving, and returning to the pocket

the cue ball going over the full rack

the cue ball going off the near jaw of the middle pocket and then hugging the cushion down to the far corner pocket

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I would say there were three remarkable parts of the shot:

the object ball entering, leaving, and returning to the pocket

the cue ball going over the full rack

the cue ball going off the near jaw of the middle pocket and then hugging the cushion down to the far corner pocket

I watched at .25 speed and noticed that the red ball was only pocketed once, he rattled the red ball first and the spin actually put it in the pocket.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I watched at .25 speed and noticed that the red ball was only pocketed once, he rattled the red ball first and the spin actually put it in the pocket.
On YouTube you can use the > and < keys to step forward/backward one frame at a time. Here are both balls in the air. This is not the standard sort of rattle on the red.

CropperCapture[433].png

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
On YouTube you can use the > and < keys to step forward/backward one frame at a time. Here are both balls in the air. This is not the standard sort of rattle on the red.

View attachment 538976

Correct, for lack of a better term it almost seemed to go around the pocket. Before watching the video a second time I was left thinking that the ball was pocketed and got spit back out after the first viewing. Its funny how often we think we see something that didnt happen the way it actually did upon further viewing.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The spin that put the red back in the corner pocket was created when the red struck the rails. It made me think of the times I have seen balls still spinning long after every other ball has stopped on a powerful break shot. The red struck the cushion at the perfect elevation to get that spin. Kind of like a pop foul in baseball.

The shot made me think of losing the winning lottery ticket.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

View attachment 538976

Yeah, but when you jump the ball off the table, stuff happens. He hit it like a gorilla, that's entirely his fault, no anguish or luck involved

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Send it......

It is actually fairly common on snooker tables for a ball to hit on the near side of the side (middle) pocket and then hug the cushion to the corner. It happens on pool tables, too. The ball is somewhat inside the line of the cushion so the only way it can hug the rail is if it loops out a little and the follow makes it hug.

Ok, you guys convinced me;) I've seen this happen of course a million times on a pool table, but in that case the ball clearly hits the point, and a lot of the point. I guess the round of the snooker table makes where the ball hits the snooker round different than where it hits the pool point.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The snooker game has everything going for it, they got BBC behind them, they also go great commentators, unlike pool, our commentators put you to sleep, no learning or teaching is happening, they just tell you what's happening, or tell you "Oh he's out", boooooring...

I watched a match on YouTube from 1991 where Bill Inardona and Grady Mathews in the booth, these two got it right, I was excited throughout the whole match, I've learned few kick lessons from Grady, we need more like this in pool.