Pool books almost for free

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you are interested getting some pool books at a very low price, I found a great site. It is https://biblio.com

When I stick in "billiards" as the search term and ask to see the cheapest ones first, there are about 800 to choose from for under $8 each including shipping. For $28 total I got three books (Robert Byrne, Mike Massey and Phil Capelle) plus two modern reprints: a 1911 book about carom billiards and an 1876 catalog of Collender's tables (as in the Brunswick, Balke, Collender Company). That total for five items includes shipping.

Amazon shows almost nothing for the same search until you knock off the s in billiards and then it shows you more expensive stuff. I think Biblio connects you directly with book sellers and presumably doesn't take 20% or so like Amazon.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're a wonder Bob -- peerless Internet research skills. You've truly made my day. What a terrific new resource for us for millions of used books on every imaginable topic -- all well beyond Amazon sources and so reasonably priced.

Many, many thanks for posting this gem.

Arnaldo

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice one..love cheap/good good/cheap books
to add on, it seems obvious, but I like ebay for books
they're often cheap to begin with
find some big booksellers who do buy two, get one
offer a percentage off the total, free shipping, etc.
I've gotten 3 for 10 shipped a few times

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy wow. What good timing.

I'd randomly searched a bunch of Byrne books on Amazon the other day and was shocked how much some of them were going for.

Just made an order on the site Bob recommended:

Robert Byrne McGoorty : The Story of a Billiard Bum $ 11.95
Robert Byrne Byrne's Wonderful World of Pool and Billiards : A Cornucopia of Instruction, Strategy, Anecdote, and Colorful Characters $ 4.32
Byrne, Robert Byrne's Advanced Technique in Pool and Billiards $ 3.89
Robert Byrne Byrne's Treasury of Trick Shots in Pool and Billiards $ 3.89
Byrne, Robert Byrne's Book of Great Pool Stories $ 9.50
Byrne, Robert Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billards $ 3.88

I already have the instructional ones but I tend to give them away to people a lot and need to keep spares :)

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I've always enjoyed that site, but there are just too many "billiard rules" books to sift through.

QUOTE=Bob Jewett;6558323]If you are interested getting some pool books at a very low price, I found a great site. It is https://biblio.com

When I stick in "billiards" as the search term and ask to see the cheapest ones first, there are about 800 to choose from for under $8 each including shipping. For $28 total I got three books (Robert Byrne, Mike Massey and Phil Capelle) plus two modern reprints: a 1911 book about carom billiards and an 1876 catalog of Collender's tables (as in the Brunswick, Balke, Collender Company). That total for five items includes shipping.

Amazon shows almost nothing for the same search until you knock off the s in billiards and then it shows you more expensive stuff. I think Biblio connects you directly with book sellers and presumably doesn't take 20% or so like Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've always enjoyed that site, but there are just too many "billiard rules" books to sift through.
I saw that as well and just skipped over them. But the search tool allows you to omit them. Instead of just "billiards" as your search term, use the keywords

billiards -bca -congress

and that eliminates all the old BCA rule books.

Free breathing restored.:smile:

I do a similar thing on Ebay where the billiard offerings are often clogged up with self-published books. I just block those authors. Sometimes I have to block some sellers because they will put up cooking and romance books and mention at the bottom of the listings that they also have a billiard book, which my search will hit. Ebay bars such spamming and you can report it.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
If you are interested getting some pool books at a very low price, I found a great site. It is https://biblio.com

Amazon shows almost nothing for the same search until you knock off the s in billiards and then it shows you more expensive stuff. I think Biblio connects you directly with book sellers and presumably doesn't take 20% or so like Amazon.

Thanks Bob!

Will Prout

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Self published pool books Lulu.com

While we are at pool books, https://www.lulu.com/ is a site for self published books. There are some pool books there that you might not be able to find elsewhere if you put 'pool and billiards' for your search term.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Speechless.

$200... just like that

Freddie <~~~ thanks, Bob!!!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Speechless.

$200... just like that

Freddie <~~~ thanks, Bob!!!
I hope you told them Bob sent you.;)

As for Lulu and self-published books....

If any idiot can publish their own book, many idiots will. There are many self-published pool books that best serve to help start a campfire. We lose something when editors and publishers are out of the picture.

Bob <-- who self-published a book on billiards

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope you told them Bob sent you.;)
Wish I could have!

- Leather-bound printing of Billiards Without a Master - Phelan
- Mathematical Theory of Spin, Friction, and Collision in the Game of Billiards / Gaspard-Gustave Coriolis

If any idiot can publish their own book, many idiots will. There are many self-published pool books that best serve to help start a campfire.
Amen to that!

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All my books arrived in great shape and well-packaged, from three vendors.

Well, almost. The Bob Byrne book 'McGoorty : The Story of a Billiard Bum' was one the seller told me they cancelled the order on, but that's nothing to do with Biblio.

So far, a great resource.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just got a discount flyer from biblio.com that offers 10% off orders up to $25 discount. It doesn't seem to be restricted to members.

Discount code: BYRON10 which you put in during checkout.

The offer expires Saturday night (May 2nd).

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've probably bought another 15 books from this site since this thread was started, all for my kids. They are usually around $4 each, shipped.

Can't beat it in this era of No More Libraries.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They have another promotion going on until Friday. For 10% off any order with 3 or more books, the coupon code at checkout is "DEDALUS10" (up to $25 savings). For any single book, use "BLOOM5". I think you can only use one of the two coupons at a time.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They're having another sale. 15% off, up to a limit of $25 savings (which would be about $170 in books). Offer expires Tuesday night at 11:59 pm EST.

Use the code FLASH1520 at checkout.

If you see a book you like on there, you may want to check Amazon as well, but the prices seem to always be lower on http://biblio.com