How good do you want to be?

JohnnyShakes

Hill/Hill w/ 1 ball ghost
Silver Member
I've been wrestling with this for awhile now. A friend of mine is as into beer pong as I am in pool. He plays in their $50k World Series every year, and does well. He would like to make a living out of it. We were discussing our respective obsessions and he assumed I would want to make a living playing pool. The strange thing is that I don't think I would. I love pool, and plan to play it for the rest of my life, but I don't have a desire to do it for a living.

Being realistic, I don't know if that would really be a possibility, anyway. I got started pretty late in life compared to the top guns of today, and I don't have that 'top tier player' influence that others have had, nor do I have a disproportionate amount of natural talent. This isn't discouraging to me in any way. I just feel like the effort it would take for me to get to a level where I could make even close to what I make working my normal job wouldn't be worth it in the long run. I'd like to keep pool as a hobby and progress at a more leisurely pace.

The more I play, the more levels I realize there are above me, and the more work it takes to get to that next level. So I have goals now, but those goals will be reached eventually and be replaced with loftier ones. If I had to guess, I would consider my pool playing endeavor a success if I get to being an Open level player some day. But that's a long way away. If pool stays fun, it doesn't really matter where I end up. I'd probably be happy to get to shortstop speed. I have an idea of the time and effort it takes to become a pro, and I respect the work put in by those who get there too much to realistically think I have the dedication to get there.

So how about the rest of you? Any aspiring Scorpion's or Magician's out there? If you don't want to go pro, what kind of goals do you have for yourself? Right now mine are, in no particular order:

Run an 8 and out in one pocket. I could probably actually do this, but I don't play one pocket more than once every couple months.

Run a 3 pack in 9-ball on a 9-foot table.

Run a 3 pack in 10 ball on any size table.

Run 30 in 14.1

5 and out in short rack banks.

Some of these are closer than others for me, but I'm a firm believer in setting goals.

Looking forward to hearing from the rest of you.

Johnny

javi2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny,
I can't get past the 3rd line. There's a 50K World Series for "Beer Pong"?? Wow! And your buddy does really well? Imagine him telling the wife he has to go to "practice" 3 times a week......:thumbup:

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
how good is good enough ?

Johnny , in all the years I've been ding this , I've only ever set one goal for myself- be better than my opponent .

Sometimes it works , sometimes it don't - but thats always my goal- beat the guy standing on the other side of the table.
Don't worry about the tournament.
Don't worry about the ladder .
Don't even worry about the race.
beat THIS GUY , in THIS RACK , right NOW .

Thats enough for anybody to worry about .

You ready for Hardtimes ? ;)

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
Johnny,
I can't get past the 3rd line. There's a 50K World Series for "Beer Pong"?? Wow! And your buddy does really well? Imagine him telling the wife he has to go to "practice" 3 times a week......:thumbup:

write it down !
pool officially died on this day , at this time , when we realized there's more money in BEER PONG than professional pool . . . . .:sad:

JohnnyShakes

Silver Member
Johnny,

Yup, it is in Vegas every year, right around New Year's Eve. His roommates took 2nd last year. I think his team made top 10%, and from what he told me they didn't play that well. His girlfriend actually plays, too. He's a lucky man.

Johnny

JohnnyShakes

Silver Member
Johnny , in all the years I've been ding this , I've only ever set one goal for myself- be better than my opponent .

Sometimes it works , sometimes it don't - but thats always my goal- beat the guy standing on the other side of the table.
Don't worry about the tournament.
Don't worry about the ladder .
Don't even worry about the race.
beat THIS GUY , in THIS RACK , right NOW .

Thats enough for anybody to worry about .

You ready for Hardtimes ? ;)

I like that thinking. The goals are more for when I'm practicing alone. And I don't know if I'm 'ready' for Hard Times, but I did play in the First Sunday tournament this month and won my first match, which was pretty cool for my first time there. Made me a lot less intimidated playing those guys, knowing that I could win. Very cool feeling.

Johnny

cheapcues.com

Cue Dealer
Silver Member
The only way I'll ever make money in pool is by selling equipment. I know it, and I'm OK with it. I enjoy playing for fun, and friendly competition. The best I've ever done was a 3-pack of 8 ball on my 8-footer during practice. I don't play much 14.1 but practice it now and again, and I have the same goal as you- 30+ balls.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
For me, the better I get, the better I want to get. When I was a C player, I wanted to be a B player. When I was a B, I wanted to be an A. Now that I am an A, I want to be a pro-level player, but no way in hell would I give up a steady stream of income for a small chance at making the same amount of money or less grinding it out in tournaments with champions.

I have been trying to figure out a way to become as good as the pros while keeping my day job. It actually seems well within my grasp because recently I have been beating local pros only a little less frequently than they have been beating me. Of course, everytime I watch a real world class pro, I realize that I still have a long way to go. My biggest problems right now are keeping my head in the game, that I tend to be slow out of the gates in sets, and my cueball could be refined a bit more. If I fix those problems, I think I would be pretty decent.

Right now, my goals are 1)to win a prefectural championship 2) to cash in the Japan Open 3)to beat an actual world class pro in a tournament (Archer, Van Boening, Bustamante, etc.).

I feel that I am fairly close to all 3 goals, but once I achieve one of them, I might have to revise all 3.

poolhustla61508

Yea....That just happened
Silver Member
I would love to go pro playing pool but like you I don't think it's really possible for me...Right now anyway. Too much going on like trying to get a solid career that pays well and work on other aspects of my life. I love pool and will always play and I believe I'll be happy if I can knock off a few regional tourneys and maybe compete with and possibly beat a few pros before its all said and done...:smile:

JohnnyShakes

Silver Member
Thank you everyone who has shared so far. It seems like pool is a game that you can improve in for a lot longer than more physical activities like football or basketball. The shelf life for pool players is similar to golf, where you need your eyes and coordination more than strength or speed, so you can start late and still reach a high level. The competitor in me likes that. Like Masayoshi mentioned, I keep wanting to get better every time I advance. Because I know that my eyes are ok, and I want to see how far I can take my game with this shaky stroke.

The Kiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a B level player I'm pretty sure I will ever get to A level.

As another poster said I just want to better than the other guy I'm gambling with. Pretty simple

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So how about the rest of you? Any aspiring Scorpion's or Magician's out there? If you don't want to go pro, what kind of goals do you have for yourself? Right now mine are, in no particular order:

Run an 8 and out in one pocket. I could probably actually do this, but I don't play one pocket more than once every couple months.
I have run 13 out and don't play 1 pocket. In total maybe 20 times

Run a 3 pack in 9-ball on a 9-foot table.
Have 8 pack in 9 ball, 12 in 8 ball

Run a 3 pack in 10 ball on any size table.
only a 4 pack for me here

Run 30 in 14.1
Don't play this much, made it into the 6th rack once

5 and out in short rack banks.
Never played banks

Some of these are closer than others for me, but I'm a firm believer in setting goals.

Looking forward to hearing from the rest of you.

Johnny

I get my ass handed to me at every pro event, so much better than I am is my goal. Those guys are monsters!

I would love to play a pro event and have a good run to top 12.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just wanna book more winners than losers. it'd be nice to put together a 5 pack one day but i doubt that'll ever happen

ThePoliteSniper

Fruitshop Owner
Silver Member
I don't want to be a pro. I'd like to play like one, but being a pro would be too stressful. I strive to become a good player with sound fundamentals and good knowledge and experience.
My first goal in numbers is to run 100 balls in 14.1 and make a century break in snooker. And in 14.1 I was awfully close once. I will get there eventually, I think. And when that happens I'm either going to set higher goals or quit. :shrug:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I get my ass handed to me at every pro event, so much better than I am is my goal. Those guys are monsters!

I would love to play a pro event and have a good run to top 12.

Ditto,

It'd be cool to hit a 147, but it doesn't win a game more than any other century, so.......meh. lol. That said, if I could hit a 147 I'd probably be making more centuries in general I guess. But I'm talking in match play.

Other than that, I'm not too concerned with high runs. More interested in making more 2 and 3 packs, more 50 ball runs and more 75 breaks in match play.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this thread, because this can be so different for each person, yet everyone has a level they would like to be at. For me, I am a very competitive person, and would like to be at a world class level in anything I do. However, I have three little kids and a full time job, and I know that is very unrealistic for me. While I love pool, the above things seriously take precedence for me. By the time my responsibilites with them are done for the day, my energy for good focused practice tends to be a little low, as does my time. Thus, I have set goals to be at a level that I do think is attainable for me if I push myself a bit. Right now, I have beaten the 7 ball ghost, although this is very rare. I run 4-7 balls routinely, and I have run a 3 pack twice. I am really not a consistent threat to run a rack, and if there are more than 4-5 balls on the table, my opponent is probably not super concerned that they will not get another shot at the table. My goal is to be able to beat the 9 ball ghost on my home 8' table (then on a 9 footer) at least 50% of the time. I would like to be a serious threat to get out anytime a mistake is made and I get to a fairly open table. I would also like to run a few 5 packs. I know that is nowhere near world class, but it would make me competitive in most games I would ever play. I would also like to be a threat to win some local tournaments. I really don't get time to go out and play tournaments or league, but I also don't because I don't feel I would be as competitive as I would like, and have always wanted to better before entering tournaments. I know that playing better players would definately help my improvement, and I will get out there someday when life slows down.

Cool thread! I am interested to hear where other people aspire to be.

Last edited:

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won't ever make the pro tour, but I love the game. Work keeps me from attaining my true potential and my house doesn't have enough room for a nine footer so I guess I'll just have to settle for being a B player for now. I love the game of one hole on a nine footer with new cloth!!:thumbup:

AKStickGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a relatively short term goal, I would like to improve my game to the point where I can run the table in 8 ball on a nine footer. I will say that I have aspirations of becoming a professional pool player, but I'm not under the illusion that I'll become rich from doing so. My job will provide my salary, not my pool playing. lol

I can beat quite a bit of people I play, but I'm not a "good" player by any means. I'd consider myself an "intermediate beginner" at best. I've got a long way to go and a lot of improvement but I look forward to the journey. =)