Pool Hall Marketing Question

jwine1088

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a gentleman who has owned a pool hall for many years. When i first started going there was a high demand to play pool(every table was filled), but in recent years business has been slower. We talked today and we were trying to brainstorm some good ideas for his pool hall. I have two questions that maybe some of you can answer(if you have a few suggestions thats fine):
1. What are some good ways that would attract new customers, and how could one go about creating some incentives to get more people to come in and play? Maybe some common deals or things that you look for in a pool hall would provide some good insight.
2. Theres incentive for me to bring in new players to his hall as well, because for each new player i bring i get half off my pool time. What are some good ways of bringing and introducing people who aren't necessarily players(just like to play for fun) to this pool hall?

Thanks guys and don't hesitate to share an idea i'm looking for suggestions.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm sure I could give him several ways to increase his business, Too many to list them all here. If he is serious about increasing his business, have him contact me and I will help him do just that. It won't be free, but it will be a bargain for all the information he will get in return. I have been a paid consultant for many poolrooms over the years, and have a pretty good track record. References available to back me up too. jayhelfert@yahoo.com

RichLec

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he has the ability I would say setup some exhibitions with pro's or well known players to show up and play. Also another thing people like is memberships, they get a deal and are recognized as a "VIP" type of person!

Best thing for him would be to contact someone like Jay who does this for a living!

Rich

jfred0826

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marketing

Hi, Coolboy.

First thing you two guys need to do is figure out why all those regular customers quit coming in. I mean no offense here, but more than likely, at this point, you don't know. I would look up a bunch of the old customers and just ask them. If you can change what the problem was, then you will be well on your way to bringing the old guys back in as well as getting some new customers.

I was a regular at two pool halls over the years, and finally just got tired of the owner's attitudes. Both places had two operators, and one guy at each place was very pleasant, but their partners were just plain a$$hole$.

Customer service must be of the highest priority for any business, but especially for one where folks must come in to the location and spend time and money there. Again, I mean no offense. You might have the friendliest pool hall around. But good service and friendly atmosphere brings in the money. So, take a long objective look in that area.

Good luck to you. I sure hate to see a good pool room go downhill and close up.

Joe

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member
I'm sure Jay can provide insight far better than I, but a few simple things come to mind. Ladies night, student discount, coupons in a local rag. Also take a look at some of the more popular entertainment locales in your area. See what they are doing that appeals to the masses and blatantly copy it or adapt the premise to your business. I wish you success, and do take Jay up on his offer.....Dan

geno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a gentleman who has owned a pool hall for many years. When i first started going there was a high demand to play pool(every table was filled), but in recent years business has been slower. We talked today and we were trying to brainstorm some good ideas for his pool hall. I have two questions that maybe some of you can answer(if you have a few suggestions thats fine):
1. What are some good ways that would attract new customers, and how could one go about creating some incentives to get more people to come in and play? Maybe some common deals or things that you look for in a pool hall would provide some good insight.
2. Theres incentive for me to bring in new players to his hall as well, because for each new player i bring i get half off my pool time. What are some good ways of bringing and introducing people who aren't necessarily players(just like to play for fun) to this pool hall?

Not catering to players or people who specifically like to play pool is how pool rooms get into this position in the 1st place. Bars and come and go and the crowds come and go but one thing remains a constant. A pool room is a pool room. The glory days are gone when pool was a fashion trend. Now we are back to the basics. i think the correct question is how "AS A POOL ROOM" do we get more people in here to play pool on a regular basis. When that question is answered correctly and implemented successfully then ask the question of how to bring in people that don't play pool on a regular basis into a pool room..

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Suggestions

Joe, above had some good ideas. Every customer likes to be appreciated, and letting them know you are glad to have them goes a long way.

1) Have a cheap challenge table (.50 cent) for 9 ball. It attracts the money players, and money players attract other people to watch, and perhaps play on their own.
2) Have attractive waitresses, young, shapely, and friendly, and attentive.
3) Have a decent jukebox, no rap, hard metal, just good songs that is nice to play pool to.
4) Have a good menu with decent prices, and have decent variety of dishes served. One pool room here in Wichita, has a fried chicken dinner served every Sunday with 3 pieces of chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, texas toast, and corn/green beans for $4.95/5.95, and I know several people that go there just to get the chicken every Sunday. They also serve a 7 oz sirloin on Fridays for just $6.95 with all the trimmings including salad, and you can add shrimp for $2.00 more. They have Mexican food on Wednesdays.
5) Have decent weekly/monthly tournaments that pay decent to the winners, handicapped or non handicapped. One room, the one I play at all the time now, has handicapped 8 ball tournament (from 2 -6) on Friday and Saturday nights at 10 pm, allows players to play early tournament and still make the tournaments at Stix. They also have a non handicapped 9 ball tournament (race to 3) on Sunday nights beginning at 8:30 pm. They usually average 10-24 players for each tournament, plus they are only .50 tables.. The Pool room adds money for all 3 tournaments. 1st usually pays from $60 at least up to $120 for each tournament.
6) People like to watch the good players, not beginners, and having money players that frequent your room is good for business, plus becoming known as an action room.
7) This one is an option, but if you could have someone that will give cheap Pool lessons, especially to beginners. Giving the instructor free food, pool time, free drinks. Have them hold class once a week, maybe on Saturday/Sunday afternoon.
8) This one is mandatory - Having good equipment that is kept up and clean.

These are just some of the things that I, as a player, look for in a room that I like to play in.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Ladies night. Ladies play free. Then, with the ladies that come, cultivate a ladies night league. Free play also and a cash prize for the winning team.

Wags

2 pocket-one pocket table
Silver Member

Might want to check the room owners section. There are many threads on the subject.

Tigers fan

Registered
At our pool room we have a special from noon till 6pm for $10 and from 6pm till midnite for $10 every day of the week and if you get 10 specials in 2 weeks you get 1 free. We charge $3 per hour all the time and cheaper rate on the golf table. I know that $3 per hour is not the norm everywhere but I hope something works for you
Good Luck

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put in a suggestion box and ask the regulars and any newcomers for their opinion. You may be surprised at what you hear! I'd love to tell the owner of the pool hall that I go to what I think of his place. Marketing to them is to stick a little scribbled note on the door!!!

jwine1088

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys thanks for the great response, i'm overwhelmed, i really appreciate the great suggestions. Jay i will definitely refer you to my friend who owns the room. We live in Jersey so prices are a little higher when you get close to the city which we are, but something my friend had recommended was $8 up front and half price pool thereafter. An idea i had recommended was taking the slowest day of the week and making it $X dollars to play for the whole night. Do you think a sign would do some justice to bring attention to outsiders and of course people who already play there will see it as well and know that the slow night is still a good night to come in to bang some balls around.

jwine1088

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe, above had some good ideas. Every customer likes to be appreciated, and letting them know you are glad to have them goes a long way.

1) Have a cheap challenge table (.50 cent) for 9 ball. It attracts the money players, and money players attract other people to watch, and perhaps play on their own.
2) Have attractive waitresses, young, shapely, and friendly, and attentive.
3) Have a decent jukebox, no rap, hard metal, just good songs that is nice to play pool to.
4) Have a good menu with decent prices, and have decent variety of dishes served. One pool room here in Wichita, has a fried chicken dinner served every Sunday with 3 pieces of chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, texas toast, and corn/green beans for $4.95/5.95, and I know several people that go there just to get the chicken every Sunday. They also serve a 7 oz sirloin on Fridays for just $6.95 with all the trimmings including salad, and you can add shrimp for $2.00 more. They have Mexican food on Wednesdays.
5) Have decent weekly/monthly tournaments that pay decent to the winners, handicapped or non handicapped. One room, the one I play at all the time now, has handicapped 8 ball tournament (from 2 -6) on Friday and Saturday nights at 10 pm, allows players to play early tournament and still make the tournaments at Stix. They also have a non handicapped 9 ball tournament (race to 3) on Sunday nights beginning at 8:30 pm. They usually average 10-24 players for each tournament, plus they are only .50 tables.. The Pool room adds money for all 3 tournaments. 1st usually pays from $60 at least up to $120 for each tournament.
6) People like to watch the good players, not beginners, and having money players that frequent your room is good for business, plus becoming known as an action room.
7) This one is an option, but if you could have someone that will give cheap Pool lessons, especially to beginners. Giving the instructor free food, pool time, free drinks. Have them hold class once a week, maybe on Saturday/Sunday afternoon.
8) This one is mandatory - Having good equipment that is kept up and clean.

These are just some of the things that I, as a player, look for in a room that I like to play in.

The money player idea is great i love it but it's hard because this pool room doesn't have a kitchen or serve alcohol(there is food that they sell though and drinks). As far as the tables go they are excellent brunswick 70's tables with that blue felt that the pros use and done by one of the guys who does the pro tables. Usually alcohol pays for the cheap tables but in this case i think they would need a viable alternative that would keep money players around but also profit in another sense. Any ideas?

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
I like the line of thought of diversification. Concentrating on just pool is limiting your market. Unfortunately pool is looked at very differently than it was just twenty years ago. You have to look at a room as entertainment for a big chunk of your business. Too many people under twenty five dont care that they are playing pool. They just want something different to do with their friends. They want to have fun. Thats it. Fun. Be diverse. Have a bigger selection of drinks. I dont mean alcohol. I mean iced coffees, energy drinks, veggie and fruit juices, odd sodas no one else has. Put in different size tables. Put in different games. Put in a three cushion table. Put in a KENO game or a ping pong table or a foosball game. Kids want something DIFFERENT every time they come in. Keeping it the same will get too many of them bored. Bored people dont come back. Keep the pool cheap and make the profits off the odds and ends.

jwine1088

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the line of thought of diversification. Concentrating on just pool is limiting your market. Unfortunately pool is looked at very differently than it was just twenty years ago. You have to look at a room as entertainment for a big chunk of your business. Too many people under twenty five dont care that they are playing pool. They just want something different to do with their friends. They want to have fun. Thats it. Fun. Be diverse. Have a bigger selection of drinks. I dont mean alcohol. I mean iced coffees, energy drinks, veggie and fruit juices, odd sodas no one else has. Put in different size tables. Put in different games. Put in a three cushion table. Put in a KENO game or a ping pong table or a foosball game. Kids want something DIFFERENT every time they come in. Keeping it the same will get too many of them bored. Bored people dont come back. Keep the pool cheap and make the profits off the odds and ends.

Yeah i agree i'm 22 and i'm a player but its different because thats what keeps me interested. I think you make a great point diversification is key to appealing to younger players. I think thats a great way to bring in the majority of people my age who aren't players.

jwine1088

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh by the way side note: we do have a real pro who stops in occasionally. Don't wanna give the name out though. :thumbup:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
1) LEAGUES!!!!

2)Memberships with flat monthly dues can be a good idea. I've seen some rooms that have one monthly fee for all day pool and another higher monthly rate for anytime pool. Get a sufficient number of members and the annuity can pay the freight. The advantage to this is that members will tend to spend more time there and therefore spend more on food and drink.

3) If the room is near businesses then a lunch special may attract patrons. Free hour of pool while having lunch. Same goes for an early bird or happy hour type promotions.

4) Regular tournament schedule.

5) Big screen TV's for live sports will attract some guys on NFL Sundays etc. TV's in the playing area don't have to have sound. Promote sporting events like major sports play-offs and PPV fights etc.

6) Make sure the menu has plenty of finger food type appetizers that are bite sized and easy to eat while shooting pool.

7) Retail area and cue repair.

8) Call Jay.

Hope this helps.

jwine1088

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What other deals have you guys come across aside from the ones mentioned that were attractive specifically geared on playing time prices. Thats most definitely one of the ways my friend was interested in implementing. His prices now are $8 per person per hour for 1 player, $7 per person per hour for 2-4 players, and $6 per person per hour for 5+ players. And league prices also what's an average membership and playing time price.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
What other deals have you guys come across aside from the ones mentioned that were attractive specifically geared on playing time prices. Thats most definitely one of the ways my friend was interested in implementing. His prices now are $8 per person per hour for 1 player, $7 per person per hour for 2-4 players, and $6 per person per hour for 5+ players. And league prices also what's an average membership and playing time price.

Those prices seem on the steep end, basically $14/hour to play for 2 players. Is the room in a high rent district like Manhattan or something? If it's competitive for the area then no problem, but if it's higher than the competition that could be the problem right there unless the equipment, room, and service make up for it and the clientele can afford the higher rates.

BTW, a lot of rooms have two tiered pricing, lower during the day and bumped up for night play.

As for leagues, it seems most places give the table time in consideration for the traffic the league brings in (food and beverage revenue).

But as for table time prices and memberships, so much depends on the location and the clientele. One place I think has daytime memberships available for around $100/month and anytime for maybe $150. I would recommend that memberships be only via auto pay to a credit card. You don't want the hassle of collecting every month from every member. You just need to decide on a policy for if there is a wait list: Do members get preference, wait in line, or no table when there is a wait list.