joint

ByronJr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a significant different between the joints and the feel of the "hit." I want to purchase a new cue down the road but I am not sure if I should stick to the fiber glass joint or go with a stainless steel joint? Currently, I use a fiberglass joint on my Joss and I love the stiff hit. Will a stainless steel joint change this?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a significant different between the joints and the feel of the "hit." I want to purchase a new cue down the road but I am not sure if I should stick to the fiber glass joint or go with a stainless steel joint? Currently, I use a fiberglass joint on my Joss and I love the stiff hit. Will a stainless steel joint change this?

There was a thread about this just a week ago. Yes there is a pretty big difference between joints, although I'm 99% certain your Joss does not have a fiberglass joint right now. A stainless steel with a pilot will have a pretty stiff hit on most cues, but it also depends on the shaft and tip.

ByronJr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joint

Thanks for the reply. I will be looking for the other thread. Attached is a picture of my cue. I thought that was fiber glass but I may be mistaken

Attachments

• joss custom ring inlay 3 diamond-4h.jpg
    joss custom ring inlay 3 diamond-4h.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 392

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yuppers that's phenolic resin material you will never find fiber glass crap on Joss cues nice cue BTW

Reading my posts means you consent to my incorrect spelling and poor typing skills.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a phenolic joint. I have the same model cue.I find that joint does give me a little more feedback over the SS Joint collar on my other Joss cues, but still pretty stiff.

ByronJr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yuppers that's phenolic resin material you will never find fiber glass crap on Joss cues nice cue BTW

Reading my posts means you consent to my incorrect spelling and poor typing skills.

Thanks its my first Joss and I am hooked. I want a new one but was kind of skeptical on the stainless steel joint since I like this one so much!!

ByronJr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a phenolic joint. I have the same model cue.I find that joint does give me a little more feedback over the SS Joint collar on my other Joss cues, but still pretty stiff.

That was my main concern - I LOVE the feedback, I want to purchase a new Joss cue, but not sure if I am going to like the SS joint as much.

holland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The post in the following link is my favorite answer to this common question. The oiginal post was provided by Murray Tucker.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=3286694&postcount=18

I like that link! I have come to agree with that by my own thinking.

I have a 20oz McDermott with 3/8-10 wood to wood with implex (12.25mm euro taper with Super Pro tip). I have a 18.5oz Joss, 5/16-14 piloted steel (13.2mm pro taper stock tip, but hardened). I have a 19.5oz Kaiser, 5/16-18 piloted steel (13mm euro taper with layered tip I think 5th ave). I like the way the McDermott feels on hit, but could be a bit more forward balanced. I am planning to retaper all my shafts to match the McDermott, even before reading that link, but I am leaning more towards wood to wood.

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
joint? hit? for a minute there i thought this was in the wrong place and should have been "NPR" forum! :eek:

jka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To answer your original question, no.

This is the first time I have seen Murray Tucker's response to this question. I hereby declare him a genius.

Woofresh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

C'mon dude... Your sig is freakin huge...

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I don't think it's at all appropriate to discuss the use of marijuana on this forum. We all know that the use of this vile drug leads to heavy eating, slow driving, and many other...what? He was talking about the joint of a pool cue?
My bad. Carry on. :)

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes thank you the wife says this all the time...... Im going to resize it i did not get a chance to sit on my real computer today.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm of the opinion the joint has less effect on hit that the taper and density of the shaft wood. the feed back your feeling is from the shaft not the joint (for the most part), what a joint can do is change the balance point of a cue, a SS joint puts more weight in the middle of the cue, where a wood to wood with a G-10 pin takes that weight out of the middle of the cue. that changes the feel of the cue because of the balance point and weight distribution-not so much joint materials.

This can be discussed for ever, it all boils down to one thing, does the cue feel good or not, that's all that matters.